You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 pm 

Got an invite from my stepmom to a 'barbecue' for my dad and brother's birthdays. I am assuming that there may be salad I can eat, possibly burgers or something, but if I don't bring something of my own, I'll starve. The no wheat thing is new, and they have had enough trouble remembering my other restrictions :)

So when she sent me the invite, I emailed back and said 'Sounds great! I would love to come. Just a question re the menu, is there anything you'd like me to bring? I have been having some health issues lately and am under doctor's orders to avoid wheat, so I am happy to bring something for the dinner that everyone can enjoy.'

I figure this way I am giving her the option to at least consider the menu and provide something I can eat, but I am also giving her an out to let me bring my own food without either of us having to feel guilty about it.Since we communicate mostly by email anyway, I can do this for future dinners to just remind her of my restrictions (Dad and family never seem to remember what I can and can't eat) and also let her know that I am willing and prepared to provide my own food. I don't want her to be surprised/offended if I bring my own stuff, but I do want to make sure there is something I can eat!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

I think you have to do something like this. Otherwise, you'll just be stressed all evening about what you're eating. Or you won't eat, which in turn won't be fun for your step-mom to watch.

With soy allergy, I find salad dressings and desserts (store-bought invariably include soy) the trickiest - so tend to bring the salad/dessert. Desserts I can get from a lovely small, careful bakery that doesn't use preservatives.

With family, I do try sending my form e-mail that mentions a few minefield foods they may not be aware of and use in marinades. (e.g. Worstershire sauce - contains wheat, soy, fish, shellfish). And then I check what they've made. If there's a mistake - more salad and cake for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 am 

We find that hosts are usually relieved when we offer to bring 'safe' foods that everyone can enjoy. Saves them a dish or two!

We recently brought all of the buns for the burgers and hot dogs just for our peace of mind and it was easier for the host too. I would rather do that than a trip to emerg!