You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 pm 

Hi everyone!

In May, 2009, the 5th annual fund-raising Run/Walk for AAIA (Allergy Asthma Information Association) will be held. The run/walk has now been expanded to 4 cities! The run/walk will now be held in:

Whitby, Ontario May 24, 2009
Windsor, Ontario May 24, 2009
Bedford, Nova Scotia May 31, 2009
Kelowna, British Columbia May 24, 2009 (just announced!)

Each city will include various run/walks, some with 5 &/or 10 km distances, and some will include a 2 km Family Scamper. It is a fund-raising event, with proceeds going to support allergy, asthma and anaphylaxis research and education. You may register on-line at www.runningroom.com, or directly through the Running Room in the area:

Whitby - Whitby Running Room
Windsor - London Running Room
Bedford - Bedford Running Room
Kelowna - Kelowna Running Room

I hope anyone living near the host cities will consider taking part in this fabulous event. Not only is it a fund-raising event, It's also a great opportunity to meet other families afflicted with these conditions. This will be the 4th year in a row that our family will be taking part, and it is truly a great day, and a wonderful learning experience for our family. Each location will offer various entertainment following the run. For example, Kyle Dine will be entertaining all in attendance for those attending the Whitby run at the completion of the run/walk. For those unable to participate, but still wishing to make a donation, you may do so through the AAIA website and specify that the donation is in support of this event. For more information, you may visit www.aaia.ca.

Hope to see you out there!!

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm 

That's awesome! We're going to sign up to do it, raising funds for research is so important so exciting that there is an event that is local for us to help do just that! :) Thanks for posting! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm 

The AAIA (Allergy Asthma Information Association) fund-raising run/walk is fast approaching! If you haven't yet registered, you will want to take advantage of the early bird pricing. We've taken part in the walk for the past 4 years, and it's a GREAT event!!! For more information about this fund-raising event, please consult the AAIA website: www.aaia.ca. I really encourage everyone to take part if you live anywhere near a city where the run/walk will take part.

The run/walk will be held in:

Whitby, Ontario May 24, 2009
Windsor, Ontario May 24, 2009
Bedford, Nova Scotia May 31, 2009
Kelowna, British Columbia May 24, 2009

I've included some pricing to take part in the Whitby run*, but for specific pricing for each city, please consult the Running Room website: www.runningroom.com

*Whitby run:
5K Run/Walk early bird registration (until May 16) $30 (after May 16) $35
10K Run/Walk early bird registration (until May 16) $30 (after May 16) $35
Scamper Family of 4 (2K, 5K &10K)Fun Run-early bird (until May 16) $70 (after May 16) $85

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Julie, You're so right - great event and cause.

FYI, AL put an item in about the Run/Walk in our NewsReport that just went on Monday. I noticed the item had a lot of clickthroughs - so I'm hoping some of gang here has signed up.

Anybody going? I plan to head out to Whitby - though after the next issue goes to press, the scamper may be the best I can muster. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:25 pm 

We're going to Whitby. My hubby starting running last year prior to his 40th birthday and he is planning to run his first 5K race. We are looking forward to the day. Hope the weather is just as nice as last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 pm 

Only 5 days left until the big event in Whitby, Kelowna and Windsor, and 12 days until Bedford! If you haven't yet signed up, please see post(s) below for instructions. If you have already signed up for Whitby, I look forward to seeing you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Julie and Kate,

All best with the Whitby run. Unfortunately, turns out I can't go - my mom is laid up after hip surgery, so I'm going North for a couple of days to care for her.

Peter Wilmshurst - AL's publisher - is going though. If you see a personable 5 foot 10, brown-haired fellow on his own, it's likely him. Do say hi.

He'll probably be moaning that he hasn't run in a lonnnng time. Or maybe the moaning will come after the run.

With you all in spirit ....