You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 am 

Can someone point me in the direction of some (or even one) Sample Anaphylaxis Plans? I've looked at Allergy Safe Communities and could only find a School Plan, not an Individual one.

The only Individual one I've found in the one page document from Anaphylaxis Canada -- the one where you attach a picture and check off boxes. Although I think this one is great for posting in the classroom, I don't think it's good enough as the one and only individual plan.

Thanks,
Amanda

DS 1: environmental allergies. DS 2: penicillin allergy, outgrew peanut allergy. DS 3: allergic to dairy, eggs, banana & tree nuts. DD: no allergies. DH: bee sting allergy, lactose intolerant. All have asthma. http://www.familynature.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Here is a breakdown from the Ontario Ministry of Education:
l
Quote:
Q. What is an "individual plan" for a pupil with anaphylaxis?

A. Individual plans shall be consistent with the School Board's policy and shall include:

Details informing employees and others who are in direct contact with pupils on a regular basis of the type of allergy, monitoring and avoidance strategies and appropriate treatment;
A readily accessible emergency procedure for the pupil, including emergency contact information; and,
Storage for epinephrine auto-injectors, where necessary.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/healthysch ... 3qanda.htm

You can see that the Energency Plan is just a part of the Individual Plan. It's an opportunity to discuss issues and concerns with the principal.

I suggest that you ask the principal to explain what he/she has developed and then discuss points indepth bringing to light those areas that he/she may have missed. No one understands our issues as well as we do but to hear them out, recognises their
effort and level of understanding. It fosters an atmosphere of partnership and diologue. It also allows us to focus our energies on areas that are missing.

For our daughter's egg allergy, we ensure that the school understands that a fieldtrip to a bakery would not be a good idea as many use dried egg which can become airborne and cause a reaction (she has had such a reaction in the past).

We bring points up such as this to highlight the need to communicate ideas in advance as they might not be able to anticipate all sources of exposure. We offer ourselves as a resource to the school and try to develop a positive relationship.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 am 

Thanks. That ministry page quotes exactly from Sabrina's Law. I was hoping that there would be some sample plans out there I could show to the principal.

I think the principal believes that the School Plan is simply the Board's Guidelines (the purpose of the guidlines is for each school to develop their own plan) and the Individual Plan is just the emergency plan.

So much work ahead of me....

Amanda

DS 1: environmental allergies. DS 2: penicillin allergy, outgrew peanut allergy. DS 3: allergic to dairy, eggs, banana & tree nuts. DD: no allergies. DH: bee sting allergy, lactose intolerant. All have asthma. http://www.familynature.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:39 pm 

FamilyNature wrote:
I think the principal believes that the School Plan is simply the Board's Guidelines (the purpose of the guidlines is for each school to develop their own plan)

Exactly.

My son's "Individual Health Plan" is actually only the forms filled out by the doctor and I.

Where the extra epi is stored is school policy.

no sandals allowed in the grass -- school policy for all students.

garbage cans away from the doors -- all doors, not just my son's door.

Made my life so much easier - and less accidents happen when it's school policy (and followed), then when its specific for one child.