You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:22 pm 

I had been buying a "dairy-free" probiotic for the longest time and all of a sudden they no longer advertise themselves as dairy-free. I called and was told that they just bought machines that have been detecting 7 mcg (micrograms) of casein in the batches. Is that enough to cause a reaction? It's not that I'm considering buying them, I'm just wondering if maybe I have something to look forward to when I do my food challenge...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how much is enough to cause a reaction however, the rules are quite clear
must be declared if the amount of sulphites in the final food is greater than 10 p.p.m.[/quote]
and
Quote:
Priority food allergens must be declared on all pre-packaged foods labelled with a list of ingredients so that consumers with food allergies are alerted to avoid the product.

Except in the case of the following foods when they do not declare a list of ingredients:

prepackaged foods packaged from bulk and sold at the same retail store;
prepackaged meat, poultry and their by-products that are barbecued, roasted or broiled on the retail premises;
prepackaged individual servings of foods, such as sandwiches, made at a commissary and sold through automatic vending machines or mobile canteens;
prepackaged individual portions of foods served by restaurant or other commercial enterprise with meals or snacks, such as condiments, crackers;
prepackaged alcoholic beverages with composition standards set out in Division 2, FDR;
prepackaged vinegars with composition standards set out in Division 19, FDR;
prepackaged one bite confections sold individually; and
prepackaged fruit and vegetables that are packaged in a wrapper or confining band of less than ½ inch in width.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rgee.shtml[quote]the sulphites

If they are getting a reading of casein in batches, then they can't call it "dairy-free".

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:27 pm 

Yea, that's exactly what he said. He said that's why they had to remove it off the label but that it was guaranteed lactose-free. But that's not good enough for me (for now, until I have my challenge).
Oh well...I guess I'll continue avoiding until I go for my challenge.
Thanks Susan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:43 am 

He said guaranteed to be lactose-free, but milk allergy is not caused by lactose - it's caused by the protein which is likely casein! The amount needed to trigger a reaction does not have to be great - in some cases the amount that is eaten governs the severity of the reaction, but I know my son had his 1st anaphylactic reaction to dairy after a single bite of a hot dog that did not have any milk listed on the ingredients. So the amount of casein must have been very, very small.