You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:15 am 

Welcome To The World, Baby Girl, always leaves me in tears, it is so happy and sweet and full of kindness.

We Were The Mulvaneys makes me cry, too, but in a more bleak way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:26 am 

I'll have to try those two. My absolute favorite book is Phantom by Susan Kay. It broke my heart and it definitaly makes you cry. Unfortunately it's out of print now :(
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:53 am 

I have that book, Robin. It's wonderful. Keep an eye out for it at used bookstores.

I cry all the time when reading. I'm a very involved reader, though. I rarely cry in real life, but commercials and books make me tear right up. I mean, heck, even Virgil and Homer can make me weep.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:41 pm 

I have a copy of it too. You're the first person I've come across who has read it!! Have you read Susan Kay's other book "Legacy" ? It too is very good.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:58 pm 

I can't remember. It sounds familiar. I read several books a week--I can't remember them all.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:11 pm 

I too read quite a few books in a week but I have a tendancy to remember the name of the book but not the author.

Does any one here read Diana Gabaldon? I LOVE her books! I've found another author very similar in writing style and who collaborated with Diana Gabaldon. He r name is Sara Donati and her first book was "Into the Wilderness" A VERY good read!
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:04 pm 

I just finished In The Time Of Our Singing and cried through the last 25 pages or so. Fantastic book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:46 am 
Alex Haley - Queen

Ann Marie MacDonald - Fall On Your Knees

Douglas Adams - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish (poor Marvin!!!)

board game instructions, Clue especially

Post subject: Book
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:28 pm 

TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE by Mitch Allbum (or something like that)
Saddest book I ever read, but very, very good.
Erin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:10 pm 

Some of you older folks may remember Love Story with Ryan O'neal...that sure made me cry.
Sue

Post subject: post topic
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:49 pm 

Sue90
I remeber that Movie and I read the book.
I remeber thinking that is so romantic and now how did I think that.
I like the Thorn Birds, mind you anything from Australia, NewZealand, or Newfoundlandor the British Isles.
Donna Morrissey wrote " Down Hill chance " and some other books buy her.
She is a Canadian Author.

Post subject: books that make you cry
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:24 pm 

Hi everyone.
I have some favorites but I can't say they make me cry but they are romantic nonetheless.

The author is Josie Litton - Your need to read them in order as the characters flow into the next book.

Titles 1.Dream of Me
2. Believe in Me
3. Come Back to Me
4. Dream Island
5. Kingdom of Moonlight
6. Castles in the Mist
7. Fountain of Dreams
8. Fountain of Fire

SusieQ

Post subject: My Fav Books
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 pm 

There is a short list of some books I've read.....I'm including a little synopsis as well.....
1) Rice Mother
Author: Rani Manicka
Synopsis From Amazon.ca
Manicka's first novel is a big, sprawling, absorbing multigenerational saga set in Malaysia. At the age of 14, Lakshmi is married off to Ayah, a man more than twice her age. Led to believe Ayah is rich, Lakshmi is surprised to learn he is actually a clerk wholly lacking any sort of ambition. Lakshmi makes the best of her situation, bearing six children, including a set of twins, in five years. But Lakshmi is dogged by a prophecy that predicts heartbreak from her oldest son and the loss of one of her other children. She is a ferociously protective mother, and when the Japanese invade Malaysia during World War II, she hides her three daughters away. At the end of the occupation, part of the prophecy comes true, permanently splintering Lakshmi's family. Manicka tells her story from many of the characters' point of views; they tell each other's stories as often as they tell their own. Graceful, engrossing, and peopled with memorable characters, this novel is sure to attract a wide audience. Kristine Huntley

2) Sister of my heart
Author: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
tells the tale of two cousins born on the same day, their premature births brought on by a mysterious occurrence that claims the lives of both their fathers. Sudha is beautiful, Anju is not; yet the girls love each other as sisters, the bond between them so strong it seems nothing can break it. When both are pushed into arranged marriages, however, each discovers a devastating secret that changes their relationship forever.
Sister of My Heart spans many years and zigzags between India and America as the cousins first grow apart and then eventually reunite. Divakaruni invests this domestic drama with poetry as she traces her heroines' lives from infancy to motherhood, but it is Sudha and Anju who give the story its backbone. Anju might speak for both when she says, "In spite of all my insecurities, in spite of the oceans that'll be between us soon and the men that are between us already, I can never stop loving Sudha. It's my habit, and it's my fate." Book lovers may well discover that reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is habit-forming as well. --Margaret Prior

3) The Hero's Walk
by Anita Rau Badami

Set in the sweltering streets of Toturpuram, a small city on the Bay of Bengal, The Hero's Walk, which won the 2001 Commonwealth Writers Prize for best book in Canada and the Caribbean, explores the troubled life of Sripathi Rao, an unremarkable, middle-aged family man and advertising copywriter.

As The Hero's Walk opens, Sripathi's life is already in a state of thorough disrepair. His mother, a domineering, half-senile octogenarian, sits like a tyrant at the top of his household, frightening off his sister's suitors, chastising him for not having become a doctor, and brandishing her hypochondria and paranoia with sinister abandon. It is Sripathi's children, however, who pose the biggest problems: Arun, his son, is becoming dangerously involved in political activism, and Maya, his daughter, broke off her arranged engagement to a local man in order to wed a white Canadian. Sripathi's troubles come to a head when Maya and her husband are killed in an automobile accident, leaving their 7- year-old daughter, Nandana, without Canadian kin. Sripathi travels to Canada and brings his granddaughter home, while his family is shaken by a series of calamities that may, eventually, bring peace to their lives. --Jack Illingworth