You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 pm 

Hello all

I have been reading this site for a while but this is my first post. First - I want to thank everyone - you do not realise this but all of you have helped me already!

My 20 mth old son has recently had a 'reaction' to PB. He was given Benadryl and it seems to help, at the time. We have since gotten him tested and this is what I have been told. He is a 3. And IGE level was 255.

When I read everyone else's info these numbers don't seem to jive or I am just not talking the lingo. How do I express this? Is his RASP 3 or 255?

We also just met for the first time with the pediatrician. I asked about a CAP RASP test. (Thanks to someone else's post i was refered to http://www.anaphylaxis.org/ and got the book about peanut allergies.) Anyway, it is not done on PEI. Wondering if anyone else has had this done and what they think.

The pediatrician wants to 'challenge' the allergy which I think means a skin test. Wondering what people think of doing this at 21 mths?

Thanks for you help and opinions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 pm 

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND FROM MY OWN RESEARCH....

Usually when we talk about a "challenge test" we mean actually feeding the person the suspected allergen AT THE DOCTOR'S so that the doctor can see what type of reaction occurs. A Class or Level 3 allergy is potentially very serious and it refers to the amount of IgE antibodies (there are brackets like 0 - 1.75 = Class 0...that's just an example)... The IgE count means the amount of antibodies to peanut in the blood at the time of the test. The higher the count, the more severe the reaction, theoretically. However, after a period of no exposure, the amount of antibodies die off although the next reaction could be very severe. That's why sometimes it really helps to have a skin prick test to see exactly how badly the body reacts in a small area. It is very hard to tell what a subsequent reaction would look like, though. Even past reactions aren't very reliable indicators. So, avoidance is key!

Please keep in mind that this is just my personal understanding of all this...

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 am 

I should clarify - my definition of challenge is just that a skin prick test! Thanks for the info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Here's are links to threads with some information.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hlight=101

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ting+prick

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb