You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Disney Land/world
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:32 pm 

O.K. so I have never taken the kids to either Disney Land or Disney World and I am now thinking I had better before they don't care. Since I have never been to either place my self I don't know where to start. If anyone has any info for me about these places and which one I would want to go to, I would love all the information I could get.
Would like to know which place is best?
How long should one stay, before going crazy?
My kids are not babies anymore pre teen and teen so points of interest for us?
And I am sure things I don't even know to ask.
The allergies we deal with are mine so the worry about food is not for the kids.
I am just starting to think about this and plan for spring break, just want to get some leg work in first.
Any info much appreciated. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:34 pm 

We are planning a trip to Disney world too for April 2010 for our son's 10th birthday - he is allergic to peanuts and nuts and we rarely travel. None of us has been to Disney. We will stay at Disney as his real dream is to see Herbie the LoveBug and also stay at some Herbie the Lovebug affiliated resort at Disney - thankfully it is one of the value resorts I am told. He also has Asperger's and my husband has Multiple Scelerosis so we are taking his scooter and we have a 2 year old, will be 3 when we go so will pack stroller for her. She has no known allergies. We have Air Miles for 2 of us to fly and hope to have more by time trip comes up. We are working with CAA to book the resort package, etc. and they are very helpful re Disney. There are many websites too and my brother told me about Mousesavers.com which puts out a monthly newsletter of tips on saving $ at Disney. Am nervous re flight and any peanuts there. But we are all very excited about the trip and have agreed to no overnight trips this summer to focus on Disney!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:52 pm 

We travelled to DisneyWorld in Florida and also visited Universal and SeaWorld when the kids were 9 and 11 and loved it!!!

best website for planning www.tourguidemike.com It is about $20 and takes some work but the tips and info is invaluable.

For accommodation we like renting through www.vrbo.com as we get a full house for same price (or less) as hotel but get a full kitchen, space for everyone and often a pool :D

We had fewer allergies on that trip but Disney was incredible. They made my daughter a special meal at Cinderella's Castle as she could not eat the standard one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:41 pm 

I was also thinking more about Disney World since I would like to add Universal Studios... My kids will be 12 and 16 so I think they will be more about the rides and the places we go to rather than mickey and the princesses. (though I am sure the kids in all of us will secretly enjoy all the characters we will see). As for a place to stay I think we have enough points to stay for quite a few days without having to hand over anymore cash. I will just need to find the "points" hotel at the right location. We do have airline points, have never used them before I thought it would be hard to use them at spring break though.
I would like to know what is the right number of days to spend there?
Part of why we have never been is I really don't like crowds I am concerned we will end up just wailting in lines all day for rides. I know I should not judge the place when I have never been there just going by what I have heard.
We have used vrbo before works great but you have to have a little trust. We usually go to Maui have a great condo to use there kitchen.... My kids love it there but when they hear all the other kids talk about Disney this and that I know they feel they are missing out.
Thanks for the info web site I will spend time this summer looking into it.
Need to get through the next three weeks :shock: as the kids study for tests, school ends and activities come to an end, I say it's the storm before the calm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:02 pm 

paige H wrote:
Part of why we have never been is I really don't like crowds I am concerned we will end up just wailting in lines all day for rides.

Two in our family hate crowds too but I can tell you that the work spent with the Tourguidemike website was invaluable! He is a tour guide who knows the parks well and gives a ton of pointers on the order for rides and what days to go to parks. We rarely stood in line. My brother went at spring break and the TGM info helped him then too! (and rides don't have to be done in exact order - more like general pointers that really worked)

I know it sounds crazy to plan so much but I did it ahead so when we went to Florida I got to relax unlike people who did no planning (including friends) and were reading books or just winging it and had huge lines. I was then able to use my TGM tricks at Universal and Seaworld and the other people at TGM will give you info through the forums too.

We loved Seaworld! It has some great coasters although we didn't do them :D Universal was really fun too!!!

We just watched the DVD that the kids made for us after our trip and wow, what a great trip. We spent 14 days which was luxurious. I know people who do it in 7 but more rushed and didn't have relax or beach days like we did.

Last edited by walooet on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 pm 

Thanks for the info. I will spend much time looking into the trip. I would rather know what I am going into. tourguidemike sounds great I will spend time on that web site for sure. Someone also told me you can purchase front of the line passes, some kind of card you swipe then return at a determined time?
We will only be able to spend up to about ten days away.
I am not interested in any beach days (do that in Maui) I just want to focus on what we have never experienced, and what we have not seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Paige, I've heard DisneyLand is also good but haven't been.

DisneyWorld is outstanding. The great thing is that there's Epcot as well as the Magic Kingdom. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/
And Universal as you mention.

I haven't been to DW in a few years, but recall that if you go slightly off-season, it's not hard to get around. (FYI, I've been several times because I lived in Tampa for a few years.)

FYI, should you choose a beach day - you're closest to the Atlantic coast. About an hour east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 pm 

Wow! Looks great but I am starting to think there may be too much to do at DisneyWorld, Epcot, Universal!! If I have it correct DisneyLand is smaller?
I know one thing it will take this westerner a lot less time to get to Disneyland.
I guess before I even think about where we should go, I have to first understand what is at each location. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Admin

True, but there's no pressure to see it all. Epcot's a day trip - and you'd pick and choose which pavilions you'd want to go through. (Probably avoiding some of the ones serving Asian foods).

Universal - also a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:07 pm 

Paige, AL did a story on Visiting Disney some time ago. Might be helpful.

http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=154