You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Camp and epis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 pm 

Any advice on how to educate camps that require [u]additional[/u] liability waivers for Epipen users (beyond the standard emergency care waiver)? Or is it not worth it to send a seven-year-old allergic child to places with attitudes? Or, do you recommend signing the additional form to humor the camp and allow the child to participate, but plan to hang around during the program?

(It's a half-day near my home, but I need to provide care for my other child during that time too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

They might want you to sign a medication form but a waiver? What are the trying to protect themselves from?

I'm not sure what province you're in but in Ontario we have Bill-3 aka Sabrina's LAw and I understand that camps and day cares fall under it's jurisdiction. It clearly states
Quote:
Emergency administration of medication

(3) If an employee has reason to believe that a pupil is experiencing an anaphylactic reaction, the employee may administer an epinephrine auto-injector or other medication prescribed to the pupil for the treatment of an anaphylactic reaction, even if there is no preauthorization to do so under subsection (1). 2005, c. 7, s. 3 (3).

You might find more information at Allergy Safe comunities:
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... p?catid=11

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: camps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am 

Hi, my 9 year old son (and his 5 year old non-allergic sister) attend day camps for a couple of weeks every summer. The only thing I have ever signed were permission slips for trips (for both kids) and a medical form to tell them about medications and to give them permission to administer them (basically for kids with allergies, diabetes. etc.)

This is the form that Camps Canada uses:

http://www.campscanada.com/pdfs/Request ... cation.pdf

Good luck

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:52 pm 

Thanks, friends! When the same camp director called the epipen an "epidural" in another conversation, I knew they really weren't on the ball with allergies. So, I did allow my child to participate in the camp but I stayed on-site the whole time. There were a lot of snacks free-flowing among the kids throughout the morning, so I turned lemons into lemonade by sitting with the kids when they ate and talking to them about the importance of not sharing food. Maybe the next generation will be wiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:37 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
... in Ontario we have Bill-3 aka Sabrina's Law and I understand that camps and day cares fall under it's jurisdiction.

Just want to clarify:

Sabrina's Law is only for school boards in the Ontario public school system. It applies to both elementary and secondary schools. (Some people mistakenly think that it does not apply to high schools.)

Click here for more info about Sabrina's Law.

The Ontario Day Nurseries Act has a new amendment covering anaphylaxis as well, and the wording is very similar to that of Sabrina's Law.

Click here for a copy of the Ontario Day Nurseries Act amendment.

As far as I know, there is no legislation for camps.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for clairifying Karen. I did look up the Act and I found this definition:
Quote:
“day nursery” means a premises that receives more than five children who are not of common parentage, primarily for the purpose of providing temporary care, or guidance, or both temporary care and guidance, for a continuous period not exceeding twenty-four hours, where the children are,

(a) under eighteen years of age in the case of a day nursery for children with a developmental disability, and

(b) under ten years of age in all other cases,

but does not include,

(c) part of a public school, separate school or private school under the Education Act; (“garderie”)

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... 0d02_e.htm

I would assume that it applies to day camps but not to overnight camps. I wonder where we could get a definative answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

bump :)