You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Stanly Cup squid???
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:40 pm 

Does anyone else ever feel that your brain is on a totally different track now that you are in living in an 'allergy world'. Our daughter was watching the Stanley Cup last night and the first thing she said (in a panicked squeal ) when she saw that they threw real squid on the ice was "what if a player is allergic, what if he falls on the ice, what if he gets squid on his uniform, will his face mask keep squid from touching his mouth". Of course then she equally in an uproar over killing squid just to throw onto the ice for good luck and I quite agree.
But really, I wondered the exact same thing regarding the allergy issue especially as the squid was, well, in bad shape to put it nicely (broken up on the ice). Would the protein not be in the juice smeared on the ice?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 pm 

omg - first off that is soooo gross, lol...

Yes, I think of things completely differently...the other day I went into my oldest daughters bedroom and saw (in the midst of all the preteen clutter) out of the corner of my eye a certain logo - I tore across the room and picked it up and realized that it was a "Reese's pieces" logo bookmark! I couldn't believe how well I spotted that logo in the room, lol. I feel like a peanut/peanut butter sniffing dog! I also was trying to convince the ppl at the front desk of their school that I can smell pb from 10 feet away, lol. I had to retract that because even though I think I used to be able to smell it from afar, at this point I think I am starting to smell it everywhere!!! I still can spot it though!!!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:35 pm 

I feel the same way re peanuts butter, even when a song or story mentions a PBJ sandwich I cringe. The squid thing is very gross, I'd imagine that if a player was allergic he would know to vacate the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:05 am 

I never noticed until our son and his allergies how many books, songs, kids tv shows etc. have peanut butter references. (all intended to instill happy childhood comfort food memories I'm sure) . I am with you Becky and cringe each time I read or hear a peanut butter reference. Our daughter won't let her brother use the little table that comes with the Fisher Price little people pirate ship. It is a small purple table with a sticker on it of food....yup.....eggs, fish and peanuts!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:08 am 

Here's something I found online regarding the squid tossing. After reading this I see now that those with seafood allergies must also be weary of those with bulky objects stuffed under their clothing!!! (groan)

If you are a hockey fan, you have probably seen or heard of fans throwing squid or an octopus on the ice prior to a Detroit Redwings game. That has been the tradition for over fifty years. Have you ever wondered why these fans do this or how it got started as a strange pre-game tradition?

The octopus first made its appearance at a hockey game on April 15, 1952 during the Redwings’ Stanley Cup playoff run. Back then, there were only six NHL teams and to win the Stanley Cup required eight playoff victories (two best of seven series). Two brothers, Pete and Jerry Cusimano, who are the owners of a Detroit fish shop, threw the octopus onto the ice at the Olympia Stadium. The eight tentacles of the octopus were supposed to be symbolic of the eight wins that are needed to win the cup. The Red Wings won the series that year, and the squid or octopus has become the tradition ever since. The largest octopus ever to be thrown on the ice weighed fifty pounds! It was proudly displayed on the hood of the Zamboni while the ice was being cleaned in between periods.

Now there are thirty teams in the NHL and it takes sixteen victories to win the Stanley Cup. The crazy tradition still lives on, and probably will from now on, even though you could be thrown out of the game. The throwing of any object onto the ice in any arena is always prohibited. The risk of being thrown out for throwing squid or an octopus is much lower at the Joe Louis Arena, where the behavior is expected and unofficially encouraged. Like anything else, there are rules to follow when throwing the octopus! It should be boiled prior to the game to prevent it from sticking to the ice. Never throw it onto the ice while the game is being played. The appropriate time to throw a squid or octopus is directly following the singing of the National Anthem, after the Red Wings score a goal, or at the conclusion of the game.

So if you plan on attending a Detroit Red Wings game, do not be surprised to see flying octopus! Do not be alarmed if the arena smells like seafood, it is just the diehard fans showing their support!