You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Re-raising since sunscreen / allergies & eczema is always a popular topic.

Anyone have any other, perhaps new, products to recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:11 am 

We are sticking with the Coppertone Oil-free. I've checked the stores and it's still available. <yahoo>

I get no reactions -- peanut & sesame allergy

DH has no problems -- psoriasis

DS has no problems -- cannot put any oil products on his face

And, this stuff really does work. Missed a spot once, and skin there burned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm 

I was impressed with the labelling on KINeSYS as well so we are trying that brand this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 am 

We've discovered that my son needs "oil free" moisturizers and sun screen too. I was also impressed with the KINeSYS website and have since picked some up at Costco.
He's had no trouble with it at all -- and I'm impressed with how easy it is to apply.
Because it's a spray-on, they suggest spraying some into your hands/fingers for careful application to face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

We use Coppertone Kids® SPRAY'N PLAY SPF 30.
Our daughter reacts to many lotions and so we were concerned about suntan lotions. She seems to tolerate this one well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:42 pm 

Well, by reading the posts it seems like this is such an individual thing with the kids. One works for one and not the other. I have tried sooo many with my son and he would always end up with a pinpoint red rash whenever we applied it. We tried neutrogena, baby(nut free), non name, expensive, cheap.. sunblocks etc.. to no avail. I was desperate and decided to try a sunblock that is applied via spray. No rubbing it in etc..and wouldn't you know it, no rash. It's coppertone continuous spray 30spf. It's the only one we use and the only one that doesnt' give him a rash. It's much more expensive but worth every penny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:13 pm 

Interesting thread. My kids & I have reacted to many sunscreens, except Ombrelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:24 pm 

Does anyone know of a sunscreen that has no additives/perfumes etc.. I called first to ok the banana boat baby sunscreen, it looked like it should be ok, not hidden ingredients etc.
I put it only on my son's legs (knees down as he was wearing shorts). Both legs got a red swollen rash with hives.
I called our Dr.'s office and she suggested a sunscreen with nothing but pure minerals. Has anyone heard of such a thing, I will start hunting at specialty natural stores tonight.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

So many sunscreens contain botanical extracts. I wouldn't be surprised if he's reacting to one of these.

Baby Blanket Sunscreen SPF 50 lists the ingredients as
Quote:
Active Ingredients:Ethylhexyl P-Methoxycinnamate, 2-Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Titanium Dioxide, Octisalate 5% (Sunscreen).Inactive Ingredients:Enriched With: Aloe Vera Gel & Vitamins A, D & E.
http://www.goodguide.com/products/202589-baby-blanket-sunscreen-for-babies-spf-50

Because of it's few ingredients, it might be something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm 

My poor little guy, his legs have still (hours later) red almost burn marks from where he scratched as well as a few patches still the size of quarters. I'll look into the sun screen you mentioned Susan. With him reacting to diaper cream, shampoos etc. and us unable to pinpoint the exact reason it really leaves no other choice than to go trial by error on him.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm 

We've been doing great with neutragena pure and free baby - it's in that small white container with a pink stripe...works like a charm without issue (so far)

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm 

Like another poster said, it's different for each child. Kinesys works great for my son, but my daughter gets a mild rash - both have eczema and in fact, his is much worse than hers right now. I will try some of the recommended brands for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:06 pm 

In the summer 2009 issue of Allergic Living, there is a ad on page 6 for a new sunscreen: Cliniderm (www.cliniderm.ca). Has anyone tried this yet? The ad states it is irritant-free: "Year-round protection without irritation for all family members, even those with sensitive, allergic, reactive or dry skin". I'm thinking of trying it because we still have not found the "perfect" sunscreen for our son.

Currently, we are using Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, and it's about the best we've found so far, but we can't put it on our son's neck as he breaks out in alligator skin, and we always have to shower him at the end of the day because it is quite irritating if he has it on too long. So, we're still searching but we're thinking of trying Cliniderm next.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 am 

ashley5473 wrote:
We've been doing great with neutragena pure and free baby - it's in that small white container with a pink stripe...works like a charm without issue (so far)

Yes, this is what we use and I am very happy with it as well! I would rather not put any sunscreen at all on the kids (we stay in the shade and avoid being out in the midday sun) but if we have to, then I use mineral sunscreen on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Here's an article on sun protective clothing.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... e-clothing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next