It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Bad news for asthmatics ...

Air Canada to allow pets in cabin

MONTREAL, June 17 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced that it will
allow passengers to bring their cat or small dog in the cabin on flights
operated by Air Canada and Jazz beginning in July.
"This is the latest of our customer-friendly initiatives that underscores
our renewed commitment to listening to our customers and offering a
competitive product that meets their needs," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice
President and Chief Commercial Officer at Air Canada. "Other recent
customer-focused measures we have taken include our Low Fare Guarantee, a
second free checked bag and the elimination of call centre fees. Air Canada's
superior schedule, product offering and loyalty benefits through Aeroplan
clearly make Air Canada the airline of choice for customers. We will continue
to monitor the marketplace closely and make adjustments as necessary to ensure
we maintain our competitive position."
Effective July 1, 2009, Air Canada will accept a limited number of small
dogs and cats as a carry-on item that can be stowed under the seat. To ensure
availability customers are asked to register their pet by contacting Air
Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262 within 24 hours of completing their
booking. A service fee of $50 for domestic and transborder and $100 for
international flights each way will apply.
In order to also meet the needs of passengers with allergies, the number
of small pets accepted in the cabin will be limited to a maximum of two or
four depending on aircraft type. In addition, airport agents and in-flight
crews will make every effort possible to provide appropriate seating
arrangements on board the aircraft to ensure the comfort and well being of
passengers with allergies. Certified, professionally-trained service animals
assisting customers with disabilities will continue to be carried in the
passenger cabin free of charge. Further details are available at
aircanada.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, you know...I read a story about a dog that was checked in cargo and fe was delayed in linking up with his owner. I wonder if this had something to do with the change in policy.
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/20 ... 1-sun.html

I'd hate to think that they'd make a policy change that places human lives at risk for this one article. I feel sorry for the dog, yeah, but things could have been done differently such as equipping the crate with a waterdish as the article states is a part of Air Canada's policy on requirements for travel as cargo.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:27 pm 

As a person with dander allegies, I give this policy a big thumbs down. While I can tolerate dog dander without too much issue, my cat allergies cause asthma attacks for me.

Why would someone need to travel with a cat anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:04 am 

I think AC is putting these policies in place to compete with West Jet. I read an article in Maclean's several weeks ago that talks about AC possibly going into bankruptcy protection again, and what West Jet is doing to try to further their gain of market share, which included the Low Price Guarantee, elimination of call centre fees and the ability for passengers to obtain a full refund within 24 hours of booking. The 1st and 3rd tactics are apparently quite unheard of in the airline industry. And the last I heard, WJ still allowed animals in the cabin, so AC is probably just moving in line with their policies to stop passengers from choosing WJ over them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Agree with Alison's Mom that this is about profit and competitiveness. It's really unfortunate that the health of asthmatics gets trampled in the process.

The Toronto Star got the importance of the allergies angle in their article this a.m.

Air Canada brings back carry-on pets
Jun 18, 2009
By Kenyon Wallace
Staff Reporter

Just a few minutes into her flight from Paris to Toronto, Emma Zolbrod had trouble breathing.She quickly took a puff of her inhaler, which she carries to help keep her asthma under control. Still no change.

"I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working and why I was having such a severe attack. It was eight hours of distress," Zolbrod said of her Air Canada flight in 2000.

When Zolbrod finally reached Toronto, she found the source of her troubles. A fellow passenger had brought a cat into the plane's cabin in a travel cage, and now stood by the luggage terminal with the animal wrapped in a jacket.

Read rest here: http://tinyurl.com/lsbsc6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
In light of Air Canada's decision to follow WestJet's lead and allow pets to travel in the passenger cabin of airplanes, The Canadian Lung Association today released the following statement:

"We are very disappointed by the decision of both Air Canada and WestJet to allow passengers to bring their pets in airplane cabins. This decision, while understandable in its desire to enhance customer service, unnecessarily puts at risk many individuals who suffer from respiratory diseases such as asthma and COPD.

read more: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/lung-a ... 0961816230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yay for the Lung Assn.

The Tor. Star also ran a Q&A of readers' questions about the new policy. These were put to Air Canada to answer. Most are about allergies / asthma. Here's a sample:

Q.Who's going to be responsible when someone with severe allergies has a truly serious asthma attack? Why would Air Canada let a pet's travel arrangements take precedence over the health of people?

A: It is an unfortunate reality that more people today seem to have allergies and attacks can happen in any public place, including on board an aircraft. Air Canada employees are trained to handle in-flight health emergencies and its aircraft are also equipped to access specialized, ground-based medical services that allow crews to consult directly in real time with trained physicians. Air Canada always advise customers with medical conditions to consult with their family doctor to ensure it is safe to travel and we have our own experts with whom we encourage customers with such concerns to discuss their medical issues. It also strongly recommends that people be sure to bring their medications on-board and not check them with their luggage.

The policy being implemented is prudent as the number of animals on any given flight is quite limited and the airline will make all efforts to accommodate individuals with concerns about their allergies.

read rest here: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/652959

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I know they've got serious issues, but the answer on that question drives me up a wall. How can they suggest that you "consult with medical personnel" to see if you're "fit" to fly?

Those with severe allergies are supposed to avoid pets - they should have to up medications. I find this really disappointing and backsliding in terms of policy. There's no understanding shown that in the course of a long flight, the exposure can be a problem.

Cats in particular can be such a common and severe trigger. Unless one were moving residence as Mishi8 said above -

Quote:
Why would someone need to travel with a cat anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh. Maclean's has weighed in with this pet-biased article: http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/06/19/pets ... dium=email

The lead pulls on the heartstrings with a dog that died in a cargo hold. Look I love dogs, and that's very sad -BUT that's was a lab cross - that dog would not be allowed in the cabin with these new rules. Nor would it be allowed on WestJet.

The comments following certainly show ignorance of the realities of cats and moderate to severe asthma. Once again, allergies get discussed as if we're talking about a case of the sniffles - when asthma attacks is the big concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm 

My daughter is terrified of cats and reacts severely to them - the whites of her eyes swell :( I guess that will take her mind off the concern of the tree nuts and peanuts on board... :?

Hopefully we will have really good attendants who make sure we are not near pets or nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 am 
Site Admin

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Health/Can ... story.html
Quote:
"In an age when we don't allow smoking on airplanes and we don't allow nut products on airplanes, why on Earth would you put animals in a passenger cabin at 40,000 feet in the air? It doesn't make any sense," Lung Association spokesman Cameron Bishop said Friday.

Angela Mah, spokeswoman for Air Canada responded,
Quote:
"The vast majority of airlines around the world carry pets in the cabin,"

So, if everybody jumped off a bridge...? :roll:
Also.
Quote:
And the dog or cat must travel in an approved carrier that is small enough to either fit under the passenger's seat or under the seat in front of them.
Maybe we should have the SPCA look into how humane/traumatizing that is, many of those little dogs seem pretty nervous to begin with!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:01 am 

I agree Susan. Plus even those who don't have allergies or asthma should have a serious issue with this decision. Can you imagine how many people pay good money on a plane ticket just to have a smelly, noisy pet not only on the plane but that this pet could well spend the flight right under THEIR seat!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:59 pm 

Not sure if any one mentioned this but what if they have to go to the bathroom :shock: :shock: :roll:

I loved my dogs (they have both passed :cry: ) but I also know not everyone did. I would not make all hang out an pet my dogs!

Sometimes it is just hard to understand that others dont get it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzgerald said many airlines around the world allow pets in cabins and Air Canada will do whatever it can to accommodate passengers with allergies.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/ ... 1-sun.html

"Air Canada will do whatever it can"...except actually accomodating them! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Great opinion column from the Globe's André Picard today:

Pet-friendly skies not so kind to allergy sufferers

Air Canada and WestJet should reconsider allowing passengers to bring small dogs and cats on board

Andre Picard
Last updated on Thursday, Jul. 09, 2009

Air Canada seems to be forever flirting with financial ruin, but it has a curious idea for getting out of the quandary.

I am referring, of course, to the airline's decision to allow pets in the passenger cabin.

Since July 1, cats and dogs weighing up to 10 kilograms have been allowed to be stowed under seats as a carry-on item on Air Canada and Jazz flights. The new policy reverses one from 2006, when pets were relegated to the luggage hold.

“This is the latest of our customer-friendly initiatives that underscores our renewed commitment to listening to our customers and offering a competitive product that meets their needs,” said Ben Smith, executive vice-president and chief commercial officer at Air Canada, in a written statement.

Frequent fliers know all too well that “customer-friendly” and “Air Canada” are not terms that commingle comfortably.

This move is about money. Flying with Fido at your feet will cost $50 on Canadian and U.S. routes and $100 on international flights.

That is less than half the price it costs to stow pets in the hold, and it is clearly designed to woo potential customers who are reluctant to leave their furry friends behind.

Rest is here:
http://tinyurl.com/mkxemj