You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi-new here
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 pm 

hi-Im caz-I have twin boys both of whom have allergic conditions-Cam EE (very mild-rescope and biopsy in august 2009) and joel who we thought had outgrown food allergies until this year..
He outgrew egg allergy (anaphylaxis) at 3 1/2yrs old and also passed a peanut challenge at the same time (previously sensitised on SPT to peanuts although never anyreaction prior to that)-the last 3 years have been EASY with no food restrictions!
Unfortunately that has all changed since the start of this year. He had a couple of episodes of lip swelling and then later other reactions progressed to throat 'tightening' that we initially thought was due to peanuts...however even thought SPT showed a 7mm reaction he passed a peanut challenge without incident...futher investigations revealed he had actually was at risk of anaphylaxis (given the last 2 reactions he had involving his throat/plus pale++ feeling 'weird) from sunflower seed and barley...he also tested positive to rye grain and soy.
We thought that was it but unfortunately just this week he has had another 2 episodes of lip swelling that once again seems to be related to peanut butter ingestion ...so we are looking at further testing again.
We have found barley and sunflower both MUCH harder to avoid than when we were dealing with egg and peanut from when he was little-we were very smug thinking we would find it easy to avoid these things but we have found that due to labelling laws peanuts and eggs are always very visiably highlighted-almost impossible to miss.
Sunflower and barley are more tricky-sunflower is often listed as 'vegetable oil'-so have to phone manufacturer-barley is tricky too-malt extract-yeast-caramel-things you wouldnt automatically think of-despited seeing a dietian we are still discovering new ways of hiding barley in products-we originally were told that barley would always be listed as an ingredient (due to the gluten component) but this is not the case in Australia as the wording of this part of law is 'ambigious' depending on if you make the law or enforce it -I have had so much in the way of conflicting advice that i now assume that it is NOT labelled as such because it clearly isnt on many ingredient lists.
Wow-that was long winded-sorry!
Looking forward to chatting!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, wow what a topsy turvy ride you've had from the joy of outgrowing allergens to discovering new one and the difficulty that comes when allergens are not on the top 10 list.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:44 am 

My daughter is allergic to sunflower and cottonseed and those are my most annoying ones even though they are mild in her.

I am so sorry about the allergic roller coaster you've been through. Hopefully you guys will get to the bottom of it all. :)

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

HI Caz, Nice to meet you. Sorry to hear of the barley / sunflower combo.

Some of these are definitely tougher to adapt to than others. (My own continuing challenge is soy avoidance.)

Hope we can be of help along the way to getting it all under control. I'm sure you will get it under control - you've been smart so far about investigating.

Best with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm 

Hi caz, and welcome! Do you live in Australia? One of my best friends is from Australia - she married a Canadian and now lives here with her husband and 3 children.

Anyway, we are also dealing with sunflower allergy (and others), and I completely agree with you. If the allergens fall outside that window of "allergens of concern" that must be included in labelling, it is much more challenging. Just for your own interest, we found out in the last year that our son could eat sunflower oil if the oil itself is highly refined - meaning, NOT cold pressed (usually found only in health food grocery stores) but extracted from the seed using extremely high heat. Our allergist told us that the sunflower oil should be safe if it is highly refined. We have included items in his diet with sunflower oil if we know the source is highly refined, and we have had no allergic episodes from this. Potato chips in Canada often use sunflower oil as the oil of choice due to the concern with trans fats, so sunflower oil was a great choice for companies wanting a "healthier" oil (not that potato chips are healthy :? ) Ironically though, this is how we went about his food challege with refined sunflower oil. We bought potato chips with only 3 ingredients: potatoes, salt, and 100% sunflower oil. He passed with flying colours, and we had one happy boy who could now eat chips at a party that everyone else was eating.

Welcome, and I'm sure you will find lots of help with chat forum - it's sure helped our family!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:59 am 

thanks everyone for their welcome and response.
Julie-yes I do live in australia. thanks for the info about the sunflower oil-we havent gone for a formal 'challenge' only based on research (ie thats theres not enough of it as there is with peanut oil-to say that 'usually its safe'-having said that we do continue to let joel have the things he previously had prior to his diagnosis that have the oil as a minor ingredient-and to date OK.-thats great advice about the chips for when we get to that stage.We are also going slowly towards sunflower as the 'healthier oil'-they are taking it one step further and using sunflower lecithin to replace soy lecithin-no good from our point of view!
We now look like we are dealing with peanuts as well (x3 reactions-only ONLY involving peanuts-not anaphylaxis but lip swelling).
We thought that was the only problem but have since gone onto have another 5 episodes of lip swelling (3 in 36 hours!) to something in foods that that he reguarly eats- all are minor reactions but the fact that its his lips and the reactions are comiing thick and fast is a concern. We are awaiting further allergy testing. All of this in a 7 yo that had no food restrictions until Nov last year (out grew egg ana at 3 1/2yrs so its been hard for him and us to go back to watching what he eats/reading ingredients etc.)
My son Cam goes in for his gastroscope/biopsy for his EE next month.
Ahhh fun and games!
cheers everyone

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.