Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: holiday to Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:07 pm 

Hi there (all the way from the UK!),

I'm new on the board, having had it recommended to me by Anaphylaxis Canada...

I've booked a holiday to Canada in August this year-spending a week in Charlottetown, PEI, and then two week s in Calgary, and a weekend in Banff (Alberta). It's mainly self-catering.

I was just wondering what the food labelling is like over there in Canada...are there any food brands/supermarkets that are well known for good labelling practice, or any I should avoid? The same with restaurants...any particularly good chains or ones to avoid. Also, if anyone if anyone has any specific information about the areas I'm visiting that would be really helpful. I know this has possibly been mentioned in other threads...but please forgive me for asking again as my head was reeling from all the different brand names! :?

I'm travelling alone, although staying with family in Calgary (they have no experience of food allergy), so it's kind of important that I'm on top of this as I don't have anyone else to rely on if I should have a reaction. In the UK, I have been such an avid label reader that I have been lucky to avoid a severe reaction for about 15 years, although my recent skin prick tests still suggest I'm highly allergic to peanuts.

Many thanks in advance for your comments....

Anaphylaxis to peanuts/nuts/soya
Oral Allergy Syndrome
Allergies to pollens, mould, dust, animals...anything airbourne!!
Asthma/Ezcema
Under investigation for coeliac disease and lactose intolerance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

We flew out to Calgary and then drove to Banff a few years ago. You will be amazed!

One thing that sticks in my mind is Planet Organic. There is one not too far from the route you'd take if you do drive.
http://www.planetorganic.ca/ourstores/calgarynorth

Try to do your shopping in Calgary as Banff is much smaller. The prices are higher and options are limitted.

We weren't avoiding peanuts or tree nuts then and we aren't avoiding soy so I don't have much to offer but, the top 8 priority allergens must be listed and they do include your allergens.

May contains are not well enforced. You can be sure that if it says may contain, there is a chance of it containing that allergen. You cannot assume that if it has a may contain for one allergen then it doesn't contain for your other allergens.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 pm 

Many thanks for that Susan...

I've checked out the link and it looks great! :D

x

Anaphylaxis to peanuts/nuts/soya
Oral Allergy Syndrome
Allergies to pollens, mould, dust, animals...anything airbourne!!
Asthma/Ezcema
Under investigation for coeliac disease and lactose intolerance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

If there is a Superstore or Loblaw's at any of the places you visit (East Coast people, Loblaw's is related to Superstore, right?!) I find their labeling to be great, and they offer a lot of reasonably priced peanut and tree nut free options. We don't have soy to worry about at this time, so I don't know about that, but their labeling is good,

Post subject: Re: holiday to Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:37 pm 

Grocery Stores: Sobees in the East. Save-On Foods,Superstore IGA in the west
Chapmans with the red peanut free label is the only safe ice cream.
Read all labels carefully each time. If it says may contain or processed on a line that also processes peanuts and nuts ...Leave those alone.

If you are only avoiding peanuts and nuts:

Look for bread by Dempsters (whole wheat, white) but avoid their new Healthy Choice bread that has hazelnut listed on the ingredients.
Look for cookies, crackers and candies by DARE. Labelling is clear and will tell you if it is made in a peanut/free facility.

Restaurants: When we travel to Calgary we go to Moxies on McCloud Trail. Calling ahead andgoing at a quiet time helps.
We have stayed at the downtown Delta. We called ahead and talked to the chef who provided us with carefully prepared meals. (fresh clean plans, came to our table).

Hope that helps.