You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Celiac/diabetic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:07 pm 

I am feeling kind of sad today. Why do we always think about how we did wrong in serious situations. What I mean is last evening my daughter had her very close friend over for dinner and the evening. Three years ago she was diagnosed with diabetis (sp) she had been over plenty of times since that and has managed it very well (she has been high and low in her blood count but has never had an issue) but it has only been about two months since she has been diagnosed as celiac and has not been to friends houses that includes meals. I felt very comfortable with dinner had it all planned we were going to eat in about ten min. the girls came into the kitchen she was fine but in min. she looked like she was going to fall asleep and would not answer my questions properly. A call to her home had two family members on their way while we (my daughter took her blood count because I could not work the machine :( ) I gave her sugar tabs and juice. By the time her family came she was a little better they gave her (glucagon?) and in a while she came around. Though she is fine and it is the first time this has happened I talked to the family today and they just talk about how they jumped the gun by giving her the meds. Though I am not writing this to discuss if the meds should have been given as it is a diabetic issue but in having anaphylactic (sp) issues there have been many times I think I could have done things differently. We need to think this is what I will do next time. She if fine so all went well, what can I learn.
I just put this in celiac as I thought that was my issue last night I was so ready for dinner and movie snacks. :) Thanks for letting me get this out it was stressful.

Post subject: Diabetes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm 

Paige, you should by no means feel sad about the incident. Being a type 1 diabetic myself, I am all too familiar with scenarios like this one. You handled the situation perfectly by feeding her the tablets and juice. Although it seems simple, many people panic and are too afraid to do anything at all. So give yourself a pat on the back.

She probably didn't need the Glucagon since she was still conscious and coming around. What you fed her was probably enough, however, it is better to be safe than sorry and, since she hasn't ever had an incident, her parents were probably scared.

You cannot blame yourself. Sometimes low blood sugars or "lows" (as us diabetics call them :roll: ) can come for no apparent reason or sometimes from a slight miscalculation. It's good to hear that she has had good control for the past 3 years but, unfortunately, lows do happen to the best of us diabetics. The key is testing blood sugars and knowing how to react, which is what you did. Perfectly. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 pm 

Thanks erinofAL for your kind words. I still feel very comfortable having this girl to my home any time. I do think all went well. I was mostly feeling sad for her parents as it was them who had given her the meds and felt that they should not have, since that is what they were told. I think that if she is well then we did good. :D There is no harm in thinking what could we do better. As a friend of the family I know I would like to know how to work her blood reader. (what ever it is called). I am also very proud of my daughter who stepped up to the plate when her friend would/could not take a reading grabbed her bag and took her blood reading and pulled out her sugar tabs... I think she felt comfortable with this as we have always discussed what to do if I have an emergency. What is the game plan give epi. call 911...
She had some friends at school discussing the fact that someone had an epi and were freaked about it she explained what it is for how to use it and how it is not some thing to be freaked about :shock: . Any ways I feel this family in someway will feel more in control if that is possible since they have now been through it and know they can deal with it. Kind of the fear of the unknown and how it happens and how to deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Admin

I think that it's great that your daughter jumped in to help her friend! I have heard my daughter tell me how her friends stepped in to explain to the teacher (sub) when an allergen was introduced in the lesson plan. Yours is a situation of the show being on the other foot.

There was nothing wrong with how you responded! You gave sugar tabs, tried to use the machine, contacted the parents. Your daughter has probably had more exposure to the machine. It was probably empowering for her to be able to help. We won't always be around during the teen years but the friends will.

Ask the parents or girl to review the machine with you again.
Get written instructions (if you know the make and model, you can probably get it off the internet)
Maybe post the instructions somewhere to have them handy.
Offer a EpiPen training for them as well. so they won't feel as you do.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 pm 

before this family had any food/health issues the mother/my friend seemed to ask me more questions than most people do. every summer she has an ice cream party she always made sure to have ice cream I could have (chapmans) and kept any allergens in a different area that I would not be around. It seems strange that now she has (I feel) more food issues to deal with than I do.