You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:28 pm 

I haven't been on in a VERY long time....

Last year my family moved to Vancouver and faced our very sensitive (contact reactive) daughter with MFA entering kindergarten. We were extremely fortunate and had the opportunity to send her to York House School.

I can't describe what life was like before this... 9-1-1 events from daycare, and in our own care... it was a very stressful time. YHS was the most amazing environment we have ever been in. The school's motto is "Not for ourselves alone" - and at every step, our DD's needs were simply incorporated into everyday fabric of life (with awareness raising throughout the school in a senstive and respectful manner).

The year included many crafts, Lunar New Year celebrations, a "father-daughter-dinner-dance" (which included a restaurant prepared safe dinner for oour DD), school trips etc and.... all addressed with sensitivity, inclusion, kindness and I am happy to say - not a single allergic event.

While we have mixed feelings (ok mainly happy!) about relocating to Ontario, we did want to share this amazing experience with everyone... it CAN happen! and if you live in Vancouver... it is worth EVERY penny.

I hope every family on this board has a school year like we just experienced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back to the forum (and Ontario), and thanks so much for telling us about this outstanding school experience in Van.

Always fantastic to hear stories of people who go the extra mile to make things safe and inclusive for all kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:42 am 

That's good to know as we are in Vancouver. No plans to put our children in private school, and York House is a bit of a drive away, but good to know that the option is there in case the need arises.