You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Young and the Restless
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am 

Has anyone been watching Y & R lately? They are currently running a storyline where a main character's daughter is allergic to peanuts and has a reaction that puts her in the hospital in a coma.....the part that has absolutely infuriated me is the storyline goes that they believe she is intentionally feeding her daughter peanuts to try and get her soon to be ex-husband's attention.....I know it is just a soap, but when the talk of allergies and epipens came up on the soap I thought, wow this is great exposure and possibly education of a large population...then they go and investigate her with munchausen syndrome and tell her to stay away from her daughter......very very disappointing.....and the implications for the uneducated.....yikes!!! :shock:

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 pm 

Oh my gosh - I thought I was the only one that watched this show! I was really concerned when they first introduced the story line with Phyllis telling Nick, "Her peanut allergy is very severe - make sure you keep the antihistamine with you" - I was like NOOOOO she needs to keep the EPIPEN with her!!! Then when the (evil) Mary Jane intentionally gave her peanuts to cause a reaction I was worried that the reaction may be minor, thereby causing viewers to think that if you slip a peanut product to someone with a severe allergy they will be fine. FORTUNATELY, IMO the little girl character goes into shock from a peanut kiss. Even though that is an extreme reaction I am so glad that they overplayed it more than underplayed it, you know?

I haven't seen todays (when Phyllis actually gets questioned about Maunchausens by proxy), but I am thinking that there are probably people who would use an allergy to facilitate their Maunchausen's, so I don't see a problem with her being falsely accused of that. LOL I mean I DO see a problem with somebody being falsely accused of abusing their child, but I don't think that it will affect viewer's perceptions of a peanut allergy, which is my main concern. Like the shows where ppl are flippant about it or downplay the seriousness of the allergy itself!

That being said, I am glad to know that there is a fellow Y&R fan out there! I sure hope Summer gets out of the hospital soon. As with most things on the show, they have been more accurate about facts than many prime time shows which always suprises me.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:31 pm 

Yes...I admit it...I watch Y&R!!!! :oops:

I guess the problem that I have with it, is that many people feel us parents exaggerate it and/or it is all in our heads. I think they took a storyline, which could have been a very valuable "teachable moment" and turned it into 2 very different issues that can both be very misunderstood unless carefully explained.

Ang

btw...i missed the fact that mary jane fed it to her....i don't watch it from beginning to end, but have it on while making dinner! that's my story and i'm sticking to it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 pm 

I also watch Y & R. I tape it then when i have a min. I watch it and can also fast forward when I feel it is too silly :roll: Mary Jane took the cookies out of the garbage (where phyllis put them) ate some then gave summer a kiss. Bad M.J. :twisted:

If you ever pay attention to the shows the kids watch it can be very disappointing how they portray asthma and allergies to the younger kids they usually show them as nerdy and quite pathetic. Its sad, even though they are cartoons kids learn from this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 am 

paige H wrote:
I also watch Y & R. I tape it then when i have a min. I watch it and can also fast forward when I feel it is too silly :roll: Mary Jane took the cookies out of the garbage (where phyllis put them) ate some then gave summer a kiss. Bad M.J. :twisted:

I'm a huge fan! I watch the same episode (or listen to it as I do my daily chores around the house) at least twice. :D

paige H wrote:
If you ever pay attention to the shows the kids watch it can be very disappointing how they portray asthma and allergies to the younger kids they usually show them as nerdy and quite pathetic. Its sad, even though they are cartoons kids learn from this.

I'm glad that the reaction that "Summer" had to the peanut kiss was a sever one. I get really annoyed and somewhat frightened when people downplay the seriousness of allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:24 am 

Wow - more fans come out of the woodwork!!! lol I watch it every single day from beginning to end, hahaha. Isn't that embarassing! If my DVR gets backlogged I will stay up late and watch like 3 hours of it! :oops: hee hee

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg