You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:51 pm 

I got my first medic bracelet as an adult, at the time my thoughts were that I would get it so my niece would see me wear it and would be fine to have one herself. I must say I did not expect to feel that it some how proves my allergy point to others by wearing it. :shock: Why else would I wear it I do not feel they are the most attractive! I have had two the first a silver one looked tarnished very quickly so I got the rubber one (I like that one better). I also feel safer to have it on now, I would feel lost without it. I never take it off. I did wonder lately if I used the front plate and put it on my own link bracelet (my friend makes jewelery) if that is an ok thing? Has any one changed their or their childrens medic bracelet. Just would not want an emergency person to see the back side of a bracelet and not turn it over. That would not be good. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Good question! I just fired off an e-mail to the Professional Paramedic Association of Ottawa asking this question as well whether they call the number of simply read the information on the back of the emblem.

Will post their response.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that was quick...and on a Sunday! :shock:
Quote:
The paramedics routinely look for all sorts of medic alert paraphernalia
from bracelets to jewellery to shoe tags. Some patients even have medic
alert tattoos. Any medic alert item would be readily recognized and
explored for further info.

We always recommend having key information engraved on the tag (i.e.
potentially life threatening anaphylactic allergies or life threatening
medical complications).

We have had several Ottawa Paramedics test the call-in line at medic alert
and it is has excellent information but is very slow. So, depending on the
emergency, they may or may not have the time to call. Regardless, the
treatment paramedics can provide nowadays is very sophisticated so the
patient is always in the best hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm 

Thanks Susan for looking into this. I would only feel comfortable if I used my proper Medic Alert tag. When I have time I will look into using my second tag with some jewelery beads and see what it looks like. I have to send it back in as it is not looking so good kinda like old junk jewelery. May take a while with summer on and kids off who has time, so much on my summer list.
My nephew has a medic tattoo on his wrist Diabetic. A woman at our local starbucks has a tattoo on her wrist, this is not something I would do but I am not interested in any tattoo of any kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But I pointed out that since she has bangs, that's not really going to help either

lol.
Related, but off-topic diversion. A few years back, a friend dropped by to visit my good friends' home. The friend was introduced to their daughter (my goddaughter), who was then 4.
He said: "I know your name is Madeleine; I have special powers and can see your name written on your forehead."

She accepted this. Then he said: "Can you look at my forehead and tell me my name?"
Madeleine was suddenly annoyed: "I can't read yet!" she declared, and stomped off.

And now, back to the thread...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 pm 

PUT THE MEDICAL ALERT ON HER SHOE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LACES.

VICKI HONCH
2 CHILDREN WITH ALLERGIES TO
ALL NUTS, FISH,AND SHELL FISH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 pm 

VHONCH wrote:
PUT THE MEDICAL ALERT ON HER SHOE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LACES.

Which works fine...as long as there is not an accident that results in the shoe falling off. Often in car or bike accidents the shoe gets separated from the person. In an accident the adult may not be conscious to give verbal instructions to the paramedics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 am 

I would also worry as kids change shoes all the time even at home, boots, sandals, shoes. Even at school they switch for indoor shoes /outdoor shoes /gym etc..
An I agree with AnnaMarie, in an accident the shoes usually are the first thing to fly off. And that would mean the kind of accident when unfortunately a person is most likely left unable to communicate.
Kids also wear so many trinkets on their shoes that I don't think anyone would notice one more.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Good point!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:41 pm 

Sorry to change the subject a little, but I just have a quick question. Did your doctor tell you should order a medical alert bracelet, or did you just order one on your own?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 pm 

Our dr. and allergist both said we must get a medic alert bracelet for our son when he was 12 months. He's worn it ever since with no problem.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:33 am 

I have a question regarding the Medic-alert yearly subscription.

I read the response from the paramedics saying that they have tested the number and it's informative but slow.

I don't think that it's even being used for day to day.

We have a real medic-alert bracelet and paid for the subscription for 1 year. I got the renewal in the mail recently and I have decided not to renew. I don't see the use in it at this point. My son has all his allergies printed on this bracelet along with the fact he has asthma.

What is your opinion on the yearly subscription cost? Have you done it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:11 pm 

I did not renew. However, I did give his principal the information to sign up the school in the No Child Without program. If you are in Canada, you can check the website to see if your child's school is already registered. If yes, you can pick up the pamphlet at the office when school opens. If they are not registered get the info to the principal. It's free to the school as well as to the parent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:39 am 

Both allergists that we have seen told us we had to get bracelets. One of them, the one we are seeing now, actually suggested that once we have the bracelet, there's no need to renew the medicalert membership. We actually had some issues with my kids reacting to the metal of the stainless steel and the sterling silver bracelets, and the fabric ones not fitting, so ended up using bracelets from another company. I have no problems with the fact that there is no 24 hour call centre associated with these bracelets.

When the kids get older and are perhaps off on their own (as teens or preteens) I would be more inclined to go back to medicalert so I would be notified in case of an emergency, but since now they are only ever with us, or at school/preschool, I don't see the need.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:23 pm 

That was my thinking exactly! :thanksign