You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:29 pm 

I have tried two different eggless caesar dressings, both were awful. Does anyone have one that they like??

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:31 am 

Have you tried experimenting with making your own at home?

I recently started making my own Italian dressings because the store bought stuff contains soybean oil and lemon juice, both of which my son is allergic to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Do a quick Google search for egg-less Ceasar dressing. There are tons out there including these two:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/218 ... ssing.html

http://www.recipezaar.com/No-Egg-Caesar ... ays-105760

There is also at least one commercial brand but I don't know if it's sold in Canada or even how good it is.
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=58#j246

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:26 pm 

Thanks, I think I'll try the one from the epicurean link next.
The two I tried were ones I made from recipes found online. Our daughter was so funny, I asked what she thought and she kept replying back 'what do you think' (not wanting to hurt my feelings). Finally I said they were disgusting and she rushes to the sink gasping "yah, me too" and starts washing out her mouth.

Third time lucky, I can feel it!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Oh that's too cute! She probably wondered if it was supposed to taste like that! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:27 am 

We make our own. I was craving caesar salad for a few years, and was frustrated to not find an egg free one. The recipe I make uses my original recipe, but I substitue a big dollap of sour cream in place of the egg. We think this dressing is delicious, and I will sometimes use it as a veggie dip. (aside: sometimes we also use "Helluva Good Dip" as a veggie dip since it's nice and creamy)

Egg-less Caesar Salad Dressing

In a small food processor, combine:

a large dollap of sour cream (a large everyday spoon, filled heaping with sour cream)
1/2 cup oil (I use canola oil)
1/3 cup parmesean cheese (I buy the freshly grated parm and keep it in the freezer)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove of garlic
a few grinds of pepper

Blend well. For best results, make the day before. Blend again just prior to serving.

Serve with romaine lettuce, bacon and croutons. For homemade croutons, cube safe homemade bread, toss with 1-2 tablespoons of oil, and broil in the oven (or toaster oven) for 1-2 minutes per side. Flip once. If I don't feel like making croutons, my daughter came up with this idea: I use "Paris toasts". These are the little mini melba toasts you can find in the deli area. I need sesame-free toasts, and I found "Paris toasts" are safe. I will break up the Paris toasts into crouton size.

Enjoy!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 am 

Thanks Julie for the recipe (my daughter aka: the new recipe taste tester will thank you too). I'll think I'll try it today.
I've made our own croutons too but if you are in a time crunch Sobey's (their Complinents brand) has Caesar " sesame safe" croutons. They come in a re-sealable pouch, and the allergy warnings are: contains wheat and milk, may contain traces of soy. These are the only sesame free ones I've seen so far.

Just a note, the Sobey's Compliments brand has great allergy labelling, bold print, clearly marked with the same allergy warning symbol on the back of every package.

I hope to sit and enjoy a huge bowl of caesar salad this afternoon.
Oh, I'll check the ingredients on the Helluva Good Dip next time I'm in the grocery store in case it contains gelatin. I've had it before and it is goooooood!

.....I just looked up the dip online, they do contain gelatin...and some paprika (peppers) etc... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

I make a Caesar dressing that's pretty similar to Rachel Ray's - Julie's sounds great if you like the creamier dressing. (I use a little bit of white vinegar, as well as lemon juice). Totally agree with Julie: fresh grated parmesan makes a big difference.

For croutons, since I have to avoid soy, I started making my own, and they're really easy. I just toast bread that's starting to go stale and then butter lightly with garlic butter (I buy Lactantia brand). Then cut up. Surprisingly tasty - and no additives.

For anyone needing dairy-free - you could just melt some Earth Balance or similar butter alternative, add chopped garlic and drizzle onto the toast. Voila, croutons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

I make croutons by tossing cubes of stale bread with olive oil (maybe a bit of minced garlic) and toast them in a fryng pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:56 am 

Julie wrote:
We make our own. I was craving caesar salad for a few years, and was frustrated to not find an egg free one. The recipe I make uses my original recipe, but I substitue a big dollap of sour cream in place of the egg. We think this dressing is delicious, and I will sometimes use it as a veggie dip. (aside: sometimes we also use "Helluva Good Dip" as a veggie dip since it's nice and creamy)

Egg-less Caesar Salad Dressing

In a small food processor, combine:

a large dollap of sour cream (a large everyday spoon, filled heaping with sour cream)
1/2 cup oil (I use canola oil)
1/3 cup parmesean cheese (I buy the freshly grated parm and keep it in the freezer)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove of garlic
a few grinds of pepper

Blend well. For best results, make the day before. Blend again just prior to serving.

Serve with romaine lettuce, bacon and croutons. For homemade croutons, cube safe homemade bread, toss with 1-2 tablespoons of oil, and broil in the oven (or toaster oven) for 1-2 minutes per side. Flip once. If I don't feel like making croutons, my daughter came up with this idea: I use "Paris toasts". These are the little mini melba toasts you can find in the deli area. I need sesame-free toasts, and I found "Paris toasts" are safe. I will break up the Paris toasts into crouton size.

Enjoy!

Mmmm... that sounds great! :D Well, minus the lemon (my son is allergic to citrus). I will definitely try out that recipe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:39 am 
Site Admin

You could use vinegar in place of the lemon juice :)

Anyone know where I can find some dairy-free parmasean cheese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:38 am 

You've all inspired me to get out the bags of frozen bread scraps I have in my freezer and make croutons. Funny how with store bought bread It never used to bother me if we cut off crusts, wasted half a hot dog bun etc.. Now with me baking so much home made bread I have new rules. NO wasting bread. I freeze any pieces left for stuffing..... now I'm thinking the assortment of rye, whole wheat and white just might make mama some yuuuummy croutons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
You could use vinegar in place of the lemon juice :)

That's a great idea! Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:30 am 

We buy Paul Newman's Garlic & Parmesean dressing. It's not creamy like a typical caesar dressing, but we like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:19 am 

Here's the info on the Newman's Own Parmesan & Roasted Garlic Dressing:

http://www.newmansown.com/product_detai ... &prod_id=6

Unfortunately I can't use it because it contains soybean oil. :?