You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergy shots
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:48 am 

I am not sure where to post this but I have many questions about allergy shots. I have asthma and been getting one shot in each arm monthly for 9 months. Prior to that I had almost constant pneumonia and extreme fatigue. The shots are working great in that I have energy now and my breathing is normal, not even a cold since starting. My question is what type of reactions are people having after their shots? My reactions usually happen hours after leaving the doctors office. Sometimes I have severe swelling at the injection site and last time my tongue swelled prompting an emergency room visit. My allergist gave me an epi-pen in case this happens again. I have never had any problems with food until the last few months. Now I cannot eat nuts, tree nuts, apples, melons. Can anyone getting shots share their reactions so I can get more information to help decide if I need to discontinue them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 am 

Hi-I had desensitisation for dustmites about 15 years ago. I always felt like a truck had hit me after having them-I was so lethargic-would basically have to spend the rest of the day/next day recovering...but...the difference to my life has been incredible (even now 15years later Im still OK)
It is fantastic not having to have daily antihistamine, being able to think clearly, concentrate, feel well, go on holiday and be able to sleep at night-not be chronically tired and always complaining about it-daily things are excellent. I didnt realise how bad i felt until i starting feeling better!
Have you been advised to have an anithistamine prior to the injection? that can sometimes lessen the response. I only had one bad reaction with arm swelling and a sensation of tightness in my throat -they are the things you look out for as far as reactions go.
Maybe the food issues are coincidental? -have you spoken to your allergist about them??
good luck with it
for me it was well worth persevering.
cheers caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.