You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "May Contain" risks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 am 

DS1 goes in for allergy testing today. He's allergic to peanuts but I'm getting him tested for tree nuts as well.

Question: If your child is only allergic to peanuts, do you feed your child products that may contain tree nuts? There are many cereals out there (especially Our Compliments brand) that 'may contain tree nuts'. We have never given our DS1 anything that has peanuts/tree nuts or even may contain them. What do you think are the risks of feeding a peanut-allergic child a product that MAY contain tree nuts? Am I being too 'safe'?? We don't have anything that may contain peanuts or tree nuts in our house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 pm 

If my son was tested for tree nuts and it came back negative,and the allergist was on board with introducing them, I would definitely give them to our son. Tree nuts and peanuts are from different families of food..peanuts are legumes... Hope this helps :)

Post subject: DS's test
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:15 pm 

DS1 got his allergy testing done today. Peanuts is definitely still an allergen but almonds and walnuts had such a very mild reaction that he says he wouldn't consider that my DS is allergic to tree nuts. Phew!

The allergist also said that he would allow my DS1 to eat things that 'may contain' tree nuts and if we want we can try him with tree nuts but the risk of cross-contamination with peanuts may be high. We always err on the side of caution so we've decided not to give him any treenuts but will try things that 'may contain'. That will open up quite a few cereals etc for our family. :)

DS1 also had his first RAST test done so that we can track how his allergy progresses. I just wish that there was more definitive information out there for allergies. It seems like there is so much more research that has to be done ... and sadly it'll take decades to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:16 pm 

For the most part, we avoid both things that may contain peanuts or tree nuts, due to the possible risk of cross contamination of the nuts. The only excepetion is a brand of bread that we've been serving for years, that says 'processed in a facility that also handles tree nuts (as well as sesame, milk & soy).

DS did have tree nuts in the past without any problem, but I wouldn't give him one now. I'm also hesitant about introducing new legumes, he loves chickpeas but dislikes peas & beans. I use to try and make him eat them, but since finding out about the allergy I don't push it.

We're still waiting for out skin testing, once I find out more I may decide to include (or exclude) more foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 pm 

I know the risks of tree nuts being cross contaminated with peanuts, but before we knew about my son's tree nut allergy and when I was only dealing with the peanut allergy of my DD, we did give her 'may contain traces of tree nuts', figuring that it "may' contain traces of tree nuts, which itself 'may contain traces' of peanuts, and the likelihood of that causing a reaction was so slim that we allowed it. Some people may not fee comfortable, but I figure that with the amount of allergen we're talking about in that scenario, there is that much out in the world on every surface in this peanut butter-loving country.

Post subject: Re: "May Contain" risks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:16 pm 

canuckmommy wrote:
DS1 goes in for allergy testing today. He's allergic to peanuts but I'm getting him tested for tree nuts as well.

Question: If your child is only allergic to peanuts, do you feed your child products that may contain tree nuts? There are many cereals out there (especially Our Compliments brand) that 'may contain tree nuts'. We have never given our DS1 anything that has peanuts/tree nuts or even may contain them. What do you think are the risks of feeding a peanut-allergic child a product that MAY contain tree nuts? Am I being too 'safe'?? We don't have anything that may contain peanuts or tree nuts in our house.

We don't take any chances and don't buy anything with "may contain any nuts" + now their is more and more new products nut free, but BE careful, sometimes, products are just PEANUT free and not all nuts, so they may contain almonds or tree nuts.... We always read the label since we can not always trust the flashy no peanut logos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:41 pm 

Becky wrote:
For the most part, we avoid both things that may contain peanuts or tree nuts, due to the possible risk of cross contamination of the nuts.

Yes, for this reason - our Dr told us to avoid them, till Adair has more testing done next year.

Post subject: my take
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:30 am 

I am very careful when it comes to my DS1's peanut allergy and what he can eat. My allergist said that, if my child was his he would give him 'may contain tree nuts' products occasionally b/c my DS1 is not allergic to tree nuts. I love my allergist and he is highly sought after and respected so that's why we went with his advice. :)

The risk of products that 'may contain tree nuts' that may have come in contact with peanuts is sooo slight. If my child wants to have a certain cereal that may contain tree nuts ... I don't see a problem with that since there are no peanut warnings (I've called certain companies when there hasn't been clear labelling) and the product only 'may contain tree nuts'. The risk is so diluted.

Ultimately, we leave the decision up to my almost 10 yr old son. Often times he'll say that he doesn't want to risk it. Sometimes he feels that the risk is so minimal that he'll try something (ie no-name fruit loops). I think it's important to let the child learn how to make the decision on their own as they get older.