You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:07 pm 

Okay dd is 4 and she has been doing GREAT on her new antihistamine and new dietary restrictions for the last few months! Even her eczema is 97% under control, I just have to use cortisone maybe once a week....

Anyways...today we went to the gym, which is "peanut free" (allegedly) and to the pool. At the pool, naturally, everyone was eating some form of peanuts or peanut butter during the safety break. DD is not the type to just eat something and we were well away from everyone, BUT...definitely at the VERY outside of my comfort zone.

So, we get home I guess about an hour ago and I give her a bath and notice that her eczema/atopy is acting up a little inside her arms and behind her legs...where it always does. Some redness on the inside of one arm in particular. But mostly dry. It's been a little dry for the past day...so I did Cetaphil after the bath and then noticed one wheal on the inside of her arm....like a hive. I gave her Benadryl so that it wouldn't expand. It was definitely a have about 3/4 inch in diameter. I don't think that anything bit her there and it is right in the center of her redness in the crook of her arm..

Boy I can really drag things out lol. So I was wondering if you guys think it might be contact from the people at the pool maybe touching something and her touching it, etc. Her skin was already mildly compromised in that area of her arm....OR do you guys think that maybe it was systemic and that's why it was showing up there...I am just wondering. I guess the pool is no longer safe...or maybe I should sit farther away. Poor thing...she's already on 24 hour hydroxyzine....

okay...as I've been typling the redness is almost gone inside her arm and the hive is significantly lessened... That's good! Thanks guys!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm 

Could it have been a reaction to something in the pool? I have very sensitive skin, and can develop a rash depending on chemical levels in the pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 pm 

nahhh, but thanks! We have been to this same pool several times this summer...she had a def hive....when she was like 18 mos though, we bought a plastic pool and dd completely broke out allergenically all over in hives from something in the plastic! Miserable! :) Thanks though...she is fine now, but all the redness went away with antihistamine....so that's great, but I think it was allllll allergy and not eczema-ish...lol.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg