You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:40 pm 

The Chili's Restaurant website is great --- it actually lists menu options for each allergen - i.e., what you could order that does not contain that allergen.

I was wondering if anyone with Tree Nut and Peanut allergies has successfully eaten there??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm 

We went once since dd's allergies and they were able to bring us sheets about each major allergen to see what she could order...that part was great, but we don't typically eat there because of her other (non-major) allergies and the fact that I think their food is low quality...like it tastes AWESOME, but I've become somewhat of a nutrition freak, lol. But our one experience was actually the best allergen experience that I've had at a restaurant! yay Chili's!

My only concern would be cross-contamination, so I would make sure my particular waiter and chef seemed to know what they are talking about. Chain-wide allergy policies are great and all, but they don't mean jack if the chef doesn't know what he's doing! :-P

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 am 

Thanks Ashley!

We cross-checked their list of safe foods with the menu at the airport Chili's in Calgary and there is little left that she can eat --- mostly burgers and since a bun is what caused her anaphylactic reaction we do not want to risk that on a flight layover!

There is a Chili's where we are going so we may try it there.

I agree about how good the chains are since their suppliers do not seem to change as often but each restaurant absolutely depends on their staff. We have a Montana's and a Boston Pizza here that are really good.

I was hesitant to try them on the layover anyway so I think we will be making sandwiches and maybe freeze the actual lunch bag so it will keep them cold since we won't be able to take ice packs on the plane :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:22 pm 

When we travel I try to freeze a few muffins or cookies and place them in the lunch box it will help keep things cool for longer. Anything that you can freeze it also does not have to be sweets since I will make banana muffins, blueberry... :) My kids love cornmeal muffins.
Have had to rethink things over the years with no ice pack and the fact that I would not want to eat anything they would serve anyway. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:55 pm 

paige H wrote:
When we travel I try to freeze a few muffins or cookies and place them in the lunch box it will help keep things cool for longer.

That is a good idea since my banana muffins are good cold too :D The helpful person at Air Canada also said that the attendant could put the bag in the fridge but then I would want to put it in another bag that wouldn't get other food on it anyway.