You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:05 pm 

I took matters into my own hands with my son. I put him on Nutramagen which doesn't contain soy or milk. He did wonderfully on it and now luckily can tolerate milk. He's 3.5 now. I use a compound that my doctor prescribed for me for his dry skin and eczema....it has 40% Glaxal Base, 40% Eucerin and 20% 1% Cortate. I used this on both my kids. It works wonders for both the dry skin and eczema.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:03 pm 

Hi, this is my first post on these message boards, and I am rather technologically challenged, so bear with me...

I breastfed both my children (daughter age 5 and son, age 3) and it did not help reduce allergies in our family at all. When I was pregnant with our daughter and nursing, I consumed all kinds of dairy products; she was collicky as a baby and any time I tried to supplement with formula she would get violently ill (vomiting). At nine months, I fed her dairy (yogourt) for the first time and she had an anaphylactic reaction. We completely eliminated dairy from my diet and I did not feed her any either (I breastfed until she was 15 months old). She has asthma, numerous environmental and animal allergies and we just found out that she is also allergic to nuts (she had never had nuts or peanut butter as she was "icked out" by them). We had her allergy tested a month ago and nuts came up.

So, when I was pregnant with my son, I completely eliminated dairy again throughout pregnancy and nursing (up to 15 months old also). I transferred him on to soy formula at 15 months, still keeping his diet dairy free (partly to protect my daughter, also). At age 2, I put skim milk on his cheek and his face swelled up. So, I kept him on soy formula until he was three and then we finally got him onto So Good. We just had him allergy tested and the only one that came up was dairy. So far no other environmental, animal or nuts. No asthma. The allergist recommended that I start him on peanut butter and he has had a couple pb sandwiches with no reaction.

So, in a nutshell :wink: , pregnancy and nursing, with or without dairy in my system, didn't really help us avoid allergies at all. That being said, I am still happy that I breastfed, but I would never espouse this as a way to avoid allergies.

I do think it is partly genetics. My husband has numerous animal and environmental allergies as well as asthma. No food allergies though. My brother and aunt were both allergic to dairy (I never was), but they did outgrow it.

Thanks for listening/reading, etc.

Brenda