You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: laptop lunch
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:42 pm 

Just ordered a "laptop lunch" bento box system from http://www.allergywise.ca for our kids for back to school. Has anyone used these and if yes what sorts of things are you sending to school that are safe ie/ lunch ideas. It comes with a recipe/idea book but we won't be receiving it for a couple of days.
http://www.laptoplunches.com

Last edited by allergy mama on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 pm 

Allergy Mama, I've not used this product, but I read about something similar that I've considered purchasing: http://www.thermapod.ca/. It's shaped much like a laptop and has 4 compartments that can be used for cold or hot lunches. Has anyone seen or tried this product, or the one that allergy mama has purchased? I've considered purchasing the thermapods, along with my sister, to reduce the cost. If you buy 6 (or more), the cost is $25 for each thermapod (plus taxes, shipping and handling). They're still pretty pricey, but when you have food allergies, it's another nice option to have available. As well, some hot lunches can't really be packed in a thermos (eg. quesadillas). It sure would be nice to see some of these specialty products before purchase. With the thermapod, I can't figure out how you would combine the hot part of your lunch with the cold part of the lunch. The company that manufactures this product is in Aurora, Ontario.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 pm 

I think this type of item looks great but I say send it while you can. I have one child now going into high school and one going into jr. high. Lunch is not cool :shock: In jr. high my daughter would not carry a lunch bag a thermos... or anything that looked uncool since so many kids don't even bring a lunch at all. We came to a compromise an insalated (sp) lunch bag with a cooler pack stays in her back pack then at lunch time she pulls out just the plastic lunch bag. I will not complain as she will always have a sandwich or bagel ... :)
They even have lunch bags/purses that are so cute beats what I had as a kid, and no cooler to keep meat and mayo chilled. Guess we survived room temp. food many times

:shock:

Post subject: laptop lunch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 am 

just received the laptopl lunches and they're great! the book that comes along with them has recipe and lunch ideas/promotes healthier eating/less waste. The school that our kids goes to wants "litterless lunches" to reduce waste and this works perfect. We paid $35 for each one which included all tax and shipping within Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 pm 

My hubby just picked up the Laptop Lunches (you can arrange for local pick up in the GTA with allergy wise http://www.allergywise.ca on the products page) and I must admit I'm excited about making lunch for the kids! Just rinsed them out and am going to pack each munchkin a sandwich, a cucumber/tomoto salad,grapes and a nut free treat (the new PC brand banana bread) The compartments are so neat and tidy and there will be no waste! The recipe book will be my nightstand reading tonight and I'm thinking of sending pasta salad on Friday so that they can use the cool little utensils. 2 moms from California invented this and it's so great. Can't wait to see the kids' reactions tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: laptop lunch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:34 am 

The advantage of the laptop lunchbox over something like the thermapod is that the new version has different containers, so you can send things like salads. I am not a sandwich person myself, so I usually do a soup or salad for myself plus fruit and snacks. I love having everything all self-contained inside the box, no more tupperware rattling around everywhere.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)