Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: H1N1 ...anyone worried?
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Admin

To be honest, I am not terribly worried. I suppose it's because we've always been so aware of cross contamination issues that we are already coughing in our sleeves, washing hands often etc.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm 

No more worried then with any other flu -- and less then with some. At least other people are more aware now.

From what I understand, there's a bigger concern for people in the southern hemisphere, where flu season is starting. Flu always mutates, and they could get his hard with this. By the time our flu season starts, this strain will likely be a part of our flu shots but I don't think it will be in time for theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 pm 

I would say I am not too concerned at this time. I find it interesting when I watch the news and they talk about "always was your hands after you touch door knobs and hand rails..." This is nothing new for those of us with severe allergies. I wish those who find them selves concerned with "door knobs and hand rails and air born particles" could understand that this is how we live our lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

You said it Paige.

FYI, the Lung Assn. has produced this comprehensive piece on the subject and re asthma concerns:

http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/a- ... ng_disease

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 am 

We always have Purell. I carry one in my purse, dh has one in his car, there's always at least one spare in case ds needs to take one (e.g. school trips don't always provide a place to wash hands before eating).

It's getting hard to find. A friend who works in a drug store told me a customer came in and wanted to buy every case they had in the store. They refused to sell it all to him. Another friend works for a safety supply company and all skids of their Purell were sold within the last week -- and orders for all they can get are already put in.

I don't want to have to switch to a different brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm 

As someone with severe corn allergy, I am "quite" concerned/worried because of the corn in the treatments (anti-viral drugs) and probably in flu shots that will be made to combat this virus. Purell (and any other alcohol based hand cleanser) is also made from corn alcohol...sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:46 pm 

Which reminds me, Relenza, which is the back-up anti-virul for Tamiflu has dairy in it.

(I originally saw this posted at the hyperboards FAS site. I don't deal with dairy allergy.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thought I'd re-raise as the new cases are making people more worried.

Here's a Globe and Mail article that strikes some familiar chords: How to Talk to Kids about Swine Flu ... http://tinyurl.com/l96hbp

Also, fyi, the Relenza and dairy protein discussion has moved over here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hlight=flu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:13 pm 

I am quite concerned. My daughter has had the seasonal flu 2 out of the last 3 winters and it was terrible. She coughed so much and was so sick. My husband as well is asthmatic so I worry about how sick he would be with a case of the swine flu.

I know that we wash hands and take lots of precautions to stay healthy because of allergies but I am worried about the rest of the people we will come into contact with. Children are often sent to school sick and many do not follow good universal precautions (covering coughs and sneezes, washing hands properly). I brought up the issue at our last staff meeting at school in June. Our principal said that she planned to install hand sanitizer stations in all large communal rooms in the school (library, computer lab, gym) and at the front entrance. In September I am going to bring up the issue of teaching proper hand washing and other precautions.

We do not have immediate family in our area to help us if one or more of us are sick so this is another concern I have. I am planning to stock up our freezer this summer with homemade soups and other safe frozen meals and stock up on our non perishable supplies as well. It may all be for not but I want to be prepared. I am trying to stay calm about the whole issue. Preparing is my way of managing the stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 pm 

I am somewhat concerned, since my oldest will be starting Kindergarten this fall and attending a pretty big school, his younger sibs will be in preschool for the first time. So, it's a big step out in the real world, and it's just one more thing to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

I wish proper hand washing was taught/encouraged at school and daycares. It seems that everyone can agree on the importance but there isn't enough time given to it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb