You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:55 pm 

Okay this is really weird, I hope you guys can help...

A couple of weeks ago dd had a single giant hive from swimming at the pool and sitting poolside while a bunch of people were eating peanut products.

Today, we went to her friends house for a birthday party. They made and decorated cupcakes, and then swam. This family regularly eats peanuts and nuts. I was with her the whole time - right by her side - but this was a huge exercise in "trying to live the normal life"...so, dd got a cupcake (betty crocker chocolate) and I didn't let her use the icing because of her cottonseed allergy. I let her use Wilton sprinkles, though. She ate about 1/2 of it and then they went and got in the baby pool. I noticed from afar that her face was red on the side. She had a HUGE wheal on her nose, and a HUGE one by her eye, and a HUGE two on her cheek. This was it, though. I watched her for a minute and then they decreased significantly within the hour.

DD has NEVER had reactions like these and I don't know what caused it...factors could be:

contact to nut protein on their stuff
the sprinkles could be x contaminated
I didn't read the cake box, could be cottonseed, could be x contam nut
the sprinkles could have cross contam

she is on hydroxyzine 24 hour...maybe this is making her react so mildly? Or do you think that it is so local because that's the only place the allergen touched? I am so lost here. She never had a systemic reaction, her eczema isn't worse, nothing like that. Just those spots. All her other reactions (even contact) she had hives everywhere, but she wasn't on antihistamine.

Have any of your kids had single giant hives in random places? TIA Sorry this was totally bugging me....I was completely freaking out. :-( So much for birthday parties at ppl's houses.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:58 pm 

BTW, Becky - if you read this...even though we've been swimming like 30 times this summer - another factor is that we were in a pool again! It was just a baby pool without chlorine, but she did clear up after we got out....my only hesitation that it might be the water is that she has pretty bad eczema and atopy and neither seem bothered by the water or the chlorine....this child is such a mysterious little challenge.... :roll:

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:57 am 

Hello!! Yes, I am reading this. :) Not sure if it's related, but I had a lot of skin reactions while swimming when I was young (and still do sometimes), with any type of 'swimming' water (lake, ocean, chlorinated pool, or just plain water), when the sun is strong. Somehow, if I have water of any kind on my skin and the sun shines on it I sometimes get an angry red rash. It sounds crazy, and Drs don't really believe me, it took me years to figure it out, and so now instead of air drying I make sure to towel dry quickly. Not sure if it helps, but your post made me think of it so I thought I'd pass it along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Does she only react when in the baby pool?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 am 

The weirdest thing about these reactions is that they are single hives, like the giant white kind all fat and stuff. And they are spread out. She is allergic to many things, but I don't know what is making her have single hives! I am wondering if this is typical of breakthrough hives on antihistamines because she hasn't ever had such hives before and she's only been on atarax for 4 mos.

Both incidents did happen while swimming - once in a baby pool and once at a chlorinated pool and both times we were around nuts. We rarely go anywhere where there are nuts, so that's def a possibility. The only time she ever had contact nut reaction my hubby had been eating them, washed his hands and used the paper towel to wipe her face and hands...she reacted so violently in hives that I gave her her epi pen before I realized it was contact! :shock:

I just don't know.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 am 

I don't know about the "Chocolate" Betty Crocker cake mix, but I know that the Betty Crocker Super Moist "Rainbow Bits" and "White" cake mixes have "soybean and/or cottonseed oil shortening" listed in the ingredients. I'm guessing that the "Chocolate" would be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I hope you figure it out...poor thing!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb