Is everyone ready for back to school?

-Medication release forms signed
-Action plans completed
-Extra medications ordered
-Meetings set up
-treats containers concidered
-bracelettes up to date
-Auto-injector belt fit

I'm going to talk to dd next week (when we're on vacation) about what worked and what worried her last year at school. I think it went fairly well but I aways worry about a new teacher etc.

I do find that I need a 3 minute statement prepared for school information night. I always get thrown in the hot seat to answer questions about food allergies.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking of back to school .... Anaphylaxis Canada has a podcast you can sign up for.

They sent around this release today:

Anaphylaxis Canada is pleased to present, "Back to School: how to manage allergies safely", an online podcast that will be available on our website on August 26th, 2009.

This podcast will address the most commonly asked questions regarding anaphylaxis related issues in school settings. Tune in to hear tips on creating effective risk management strategies, working with your school community, educating others and more.

If you have a specific question you would like addressed*, please submit your question by August 4th online at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm= ... sJmQ_3d_3d

*Please note: due to the volume of questions being submitted for this event, we will not be able to answer all questions during the podcast and cannot provide patient specific medical advice.

This podcast will be made available on our website at www.anaphylaxis.ca under the Anaphylaxis Learning Centre. It is a free resource for anyone with an interest in anaphylaxis, such as patients, parents of allergic children, educators, child care staff, nurses, public health and other caregivers.

Please feel free to share this information with others that may be interested in this podcast.

For your information,

Anaphylaxis Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Great minds think alike!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:33 pm 

A first time to school prep question.

My son did food challenges this past spring and we discovered he outgrew one of his food allergies and still has mild reactions to the other. Although the allergist recommended we continue carrying an epipen (non-prescription) for another year he obviously will not be taking it to school since it's non-prescription. I do not want him sharing food with the other children just to be safe.

Are there any suggestions on how to handle this with his teacher so that she's aware he has an allergy but that he's not at high risk of anaphylaxis?

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have a letter from his allergist recommending that he carry his EpiPen? I would suggest you give them a copy of this, update what he is still allergic to and have him carry it.

If he is spending so much time at school and eating while there, he is still possibly at risk. I tend to err on the side of caution.

Would they refuse to let him carry it? Why is there no prescription if the Allergist recommended it? Our Allergist gives us the prescription. I'm a little baffled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Do you have a letter from his allergist recommending that he carry his EpiPen? I would suggest you give them a copy of this, update what he is still allergic to and have him carry it.

If he is spending so much time at school and eating while there, he is still possibly at risk. I tend to err on the side of caution.

Would they refuse to let him carry it? Why is there no prescription if the Allergist recommended it? Our Allergist gives us the prescription. I'm a little baffled.

Long story but there's no letter and no prescription. No prescription this time because I had already purchased a non-prescription epi-pen that doesn't expire for a while. Allergist never felt DS was at risk of anaphylaxis because he was 13 months when first diagnosed and I had good control over what food he ate. Now that he's outgrown one allergy and had only a mild reaction to the other the allergist feels he's safe with both foods. He always suggests continuing to carry the epi-pen for at least a year after a successful food challenge. He said it wouldn't be necessary to have it at school.

DS will be starting at a daycare for before & after school care and of course school so I'll just have to explain as best I can and insist that he only eat foods that I provide.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Obviously, we don't know your son's case and you and the allergist do.

But personally, if it's a food that's still in question, like Susan, I'd also err on the side of caution and make the auto-injector available to the teacher. If you explain that he's not considered high risk, but this is a safety blanket - just in case - I don't expect she'd mind a non-prescription Epi on hand.

Might be relieving to her/him to have it there - on the off chance, given that food allergy is so unpredictable.