You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 pm 

:D I've posted several times in the past about my son's allergies and food challenges so some of you may already be aware of my story. My son was around 2yrs old when he first had a reaction to PB. Just a smear on a piece of bread and one small bite was enough to make him get hives wherever the PB touched, his one eye swelled shut as well. Thankfully he had no breathing difficulties. So that started our journey with allergies. He was soon tested and was told he was allergic to peanut and all tree nuts..yikes. It was such an overwhelming time for us but soon we adjusted to our new way of eating, shopping, planning. Year after year we were told that he still had his allergies and the chances of him outgrowing them was small. So we accepted it and moved on.

Well, my son is now 11yrs old and just this past December we changed his allergist to a doctor who was closer to home. He redid his bld work, skin tests etc. and the results made the doctor believe that we should challenge all his food allergies. Initially it was a very scarey thought, give him the very thing we have been avoiding all these years. Especially when most of the skin tests were very positive, and the rast tests were positive as well (low positive). BUT>>we took a leap of faith and consented to the food challenges. Month by month we challenged the nuts one by one. We did his last challenges just a few weeks back. I am beyond happy to report that my son has outgrown ALL of his allergies! :D

THe whole process was a learning experience and we really had to trust the doctor, but man oh man are we glad we did. Now my son is enjoying soooo many things he could never have before. No more carrying the epipen. It feels like a dream.

I just wanted to give a glimmer of hope to those parents out there who so desperatly pray their kids will not have to deal with food allergies one day. It can happen, we are living proof of it. I pray that one day you will also feel the joy i feel. Miracles do happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:21 pm 

That is wonderful news. I am so happy for your son and for your entire family. Out of curiosity, now that we (the allergic folk and family) all know so much about what is in our food (usually for the worse) do you think there are some things you will continue to prepare from scratch yourself?

Thank you for sharing, it really does give hope. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:20 pm 

:D That is sooooo great - congratulations!!! Thank you so much for the hope!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:38 pm 

[quote="BC2007"]That is wonderful news. I am so happy for your son and for your entire family. Out of curiosity, now that we (the allergic folk and family) all know so much about what is in our food (usually for the worse) do you think there are some things you will continue to prepare from scratch yourself?

Thank you for sharing, it really does give hope. :D[/quote]

Well, there are so many things i have gotten used to just making myself..eg..baked goods, cakes etc.. I think i will continue to make these things, since i don't think any grocery store bakery can beat the freshness and love that goes into them. Plus i'm too cheap to spend the huge bucks on the decorated cakes from the fancy bakeries. i've gotten so good at it, i don't need them anymore. :D My cake decorating, cookie decorating skills have gotten very good from the years of practise on my son's stuff. BUT>>it sure will be nice, in a pinch if i need something to just run into the grocery store and pick up something if i should need it. This is what i've found to be the best part of the whole thing, the convienence of all the possibilities, no more limitations. The spontenaety in our lives have returned. We don't have to worry about which restaurant to eat at, or check every single label. It has taken a load off our shoulders.
Now i have to admit, i still carry his epipen. :oops: I'm still wrapping my brain around all of this, and it will take some time for me to feel completely ok without it. I know it may sound crazy but it's what i need to do right now. However, i don't require him to carry it around, i'm giving him all the freedom he wants. Lord knows he deservers it after all these years of having to be responsible for it.
I really do pray you will experience the same joy as we have. It's an overwhelming feeling of relief and joy at the same time. It makes me cry sometimes just thinking aboiut it. It is such a HUGE blessing and we are sooo grateful to be given it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 pm 

I always love stories like this! Congratulations on your new freedom!

What were your sons initial rast numbers and his rast numbers at challenge time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Sweet Cravings - that's just wonderful, and does give hope.

Curious - does he have to keep eating peanuts/or peanut prods. regularly to stay unallergic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

sweetcravings -
Quote:
Now i have to admit, i still carry his epipen. I'm still wrapping my brain around all of this, and it will take some time for me to feel completely ok without it.

I think this is completely understandable!

I'm so glad (and a little jealous) for you! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 am 

:D Yes, he still has to eat peanuts/tree nuts regularily. The allergist said at least several times a month. Initially he was having to eat them at least once weekly which wouldn't be hard if you only have one or two nuts, but we had i believe 11. It was so hard to get them all in and to remember to have him eat them. At the end of all of it the allergist told us not to worry so much about each type of nut several times a month, just eat whatever tree nuts he prefers, and definitely get in the peanut. He says that there is so many similiar proteins found in the tree nuts that as long as he eats a tree nut my son should be ok. There is the small possiblitiy the allergies could return, but by eating the nuts this keep the body recognizing the food and not reacting to eat.
My son still has to be pushed to eat peanuts, he's definitely not a fan of them. He even dislikes them with chocolate, but we did find bbq peanuts and he seems to like those enough to eat one or two here and there. The tree nuts are less of a problem, there are many he enjoys.

My son's inital rast results we never got paper work on them, in fact the allergist at the time didn't even tell us the numbers. He just told us he would never do a challenge with him with the rast levels at where they were, and the positive skin results. BUT>>>his new allergist obtained those initial rast results and he told us that they had changed very little when compared to the most recent bld work. He told us had my son been his patient years ago, he would've challenged him then with what he saw. So i guess there was a differece of opinion there. Going into the challenges all of his RAST levels were pretty low. They ranged from <0.35 to 0.90 being the highest. Yet his skin tests were almost all positive, except PB. The highest on his skin test was 5/20 and that was for hazelnut. The rast for hazelnut was 0.90. His arm was one BIG hive when the skin testing was done. It looked horrible. Hard to believe that the skin would react so badly but he can eat them. The only nut that we could recall him actually eating was PB, and then he reacted. The tree nuts were never eaten,but were eliminated after further testing showed that he was allergic. He said the RAST levels could have been reflecting the fact that he never ate those tree nuts. Who knows, maybe my son was never allergic to tree nuts. It shows you that these tests are not always accurate, and the only way to truely know is to injest the food. Keeping mind, the allergist does have guidelines on who he challenges. The higher the number the more likely of a reaction in his experience. Even with those who he deems suitable for food challenges he told us there is no guarentee and generally at least one child has a reaction per challenge day at the hospital. During our challenge days we saw a few, but they were relatively mild, with hives etc..The nurses and doctor acted promptly, and checked the children, monitored them. Some of these kids could barely talk, they were so young. Most days the majority of people in the challenges passed..it was wonderful. We are sooo thankful for changing allergists, and finding one who knew enough to say, 'i think we should challenge these allergies". Is it scarey to take the leap, absolutely! But there is no better place to challenge the foods then in the hospital in a controlled setting. Did it get easier with each challenge? Maybe a tiny bit, but i still drove my son crazy after each time he ate more and more of the nut being tested. I would say, "are you feeling ok". I watched him like a hawk. They were long days, those challenges. Only one nut per challenge, and we were at the hospital for 4-5hrs each time. It was worth every minute spent to see my son enjoy things he never has.