You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Labelling
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm 

I think I have been doing a poor job at keeping our house safe for Adair. We have been assuming that if a product says nothing on it about peanuts/nuts then we consider it safe, but from what I am reading on here, we shouldn't?!

Do you call on every product that comes into your home until you know it is safe? Please provide me with some insight as to how you shop for peanut/nut free products....

Not sure if I should have posted this somewhere else, but feel free to move if in wrong section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 pm 

I doubt very much you have done a poor job of keeping your home safe for your little one. I suspect the exact oposite. There are so many times I too read something and realize I am not doing ' this or that'. I panic for a second at how I could have missed something or not thought to 'do' something myself. Think of how much information we've obsorbed, how many changes we've incorporated into our lives. The food changes, shopping changes etc. we've all adjusted to in a short period of time. I bet if you look back a few months you'd be pretty proud of youself and how far you've come in keeping AdairBear safe. = - )

As far as shopping I send out tons of emails, I prefer to email a company rather than call as it gives me a form of a paper trail to keep track with. I myself have found that most companies have good labeling and take allergy issues seriously. When I find products that are made in nut/peanut free facilities I do tend (for that specific item) to stick to them. Old Dutch chips and Pringles for example are all made in a nut/peanut free facility. So although I'm sure other chips are safe I don't see any reason to take a chance when I KNOW these ones are. I still check EVERY time I buy something but by contacting companies and finding out what is made in nut/peanut free facilities I can narrow down what brands have worked in the past I tend to stick to them.

Also made in nut/peanut free facilities

Heinz products
Kerr candies
McCormick Clubhouse Spices (but do contain sesame trace)
A.H.C. Tone Spices (but do contain sesame trace)
Nesquick products
Robin Hood Flour
Ocean Spray Cranberries
SunMaid Raisins and Cookies
Quaker Peanut free granola bars

Sun-Rype fruit bars (Sun-Rype products do not contain any Nut, Peanut, Gluten, or Dairy products and they are manufactured in a Canadian facility that does not process any products containing these allergens.)

Catelli Pasta (is also egg free)
E.D.Smith (pie fillings and jam)
Golden Plantation (dried Plantation snacks) ...found at Sobey's
Rizopia Brown Rice Pasta (found at Superstore)
ItalPasta
Pringles

Presiden'ts Choice (peanut free symbol) Cereal/granola Bars
Presiden'ts Choice Mini Chefs and Arrowroot Cookies

No Nuts Golden Pea Butter
Spitz Sunflower Seeds
Fry's Cocoa
Kinder Surprise Products
Gimbals Jellybeans
Most Dare products (gummie candies and food products)
The Candy Tree lollipops
Old Dutch Potato Chips
Hollandia Cookies
Enjoy Life Products
Mr. Christie - with peanut free symbol made in a nutpeanut free facility
Chapman's ice cream - only those with peanu/tnut free symbol

Grissol (DARE product) Peanut/Tree nut free facility but ALL warn of SESAME!
Grissol Classic Stuffing
Grissol Bread Crumbs
Grissol crackers - many varieties

Nestle (I emailed them and their mini size (smarties etc.) are all made in a peanut/ nut free facility. The large size (smarties etc.) are made in a facility where they do produce nut products BUT they are in a different area and use all precautions.

Pinesol Cleaner: no nuts or nut oils or nut ingredients are used in any of their products

There are many more, I have a list of companies and products which are safe and I keep and update constantly.

It takes a bit of time but gives a lot of peace of mind! :D :D :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:14 pm 

I also assumed that if something didn't mention nuts/peanuts then it was probably safe. But after some research I found that it wasn't the case. Now if I want to buy something new that doesn't specify I'll either wait til I can contact the company or check their website, or I'll buy it, but keep it seperate until I can confirm if it's safe or not. DS is ok with it, he chose a package of Skittles (which is safe but doesn't specify) and I explained that we'd have to wait til we got home so I could check it out.

So much easier with companies like Dare, who put the symbol right on the package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 pm 

Thank you bc2007 for all the awesome information.
I will be sure to phone/email now and check if something doesn't say. I don't ever want to risk bringing something home just coz I wasn't informed enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Wow- great list, BC2007! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb