You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am 

Our allergist is cautious when trying new foods with our daughter. She skin tested negative for tree nuts and now they are going to test the individual nuts. The allergist suggested bringing an almond spread for the skin testing but I can't find one that is peanut free. Could I use the blue diamond almond beverage instead? Has anyone done a peanut free almond challenge? The allergist's office is closed for today so I can't call right now.
Thanks,
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:36 pm 

Could you go buy some almonds still in their shell, wash them (in their shells), then crack them? These would be guaranteed to be peanut-free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Look what I just found - no peanut almond butter!

http://www.peanutfreefoods.com/index.html

I'm so ordering some.
I think the allergist will prefer a spread for skin testing.

Not sure. Others know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 pm 

Yes he asked for a spread because I assumed it would be easier to dip the scratch needle into for the test. I can buy peanut free blue diamond almonds locally just not the spread. I wondered if the almond beverage would be just as good for the test(?). Gwen, the spread looks good - I likely wouldn't get it in time for her appointment though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:34 am 

The allergist should have the proper individual nut extracts to test with! They are cetainly available - why should you have to be the gopher and make due with a homemade concoction. I would think if the allergist was "really careful" that they would have the proper tools for the job!

When it comes to a food challenge I could see them asking you to provide, but for scratch tests - this should be from their supplier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:14 am 

When I took my son in for skin testing they asked me to bring in a fresh kiwi (which he had reacted to previously). I can't remember the exact reason, but I think it was because the fresh kiwi would be more potent than any kiwi solution that they had in the office, and would make the test more accurate?

I'm not sure if 'older less potent' solution was the problem, but my dd tested negative to dairy at another allergists office a few years ago, and while she could tolerate cultured dairy at the time, she was still reacting to uncultured dairy like plain milk and ice cream. Not sure if it would have a produced a different result to spread actual milk on her arm during a skin test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:48 am 

Allison's mom, that is my understanding also that in some cases fresh food can be more accurate than the solutions at the office. I appreciate everyone's help. I am confident in the allergist and that he has the "proper" tools. I would not go to someone who I didn't trust msarahym.