You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 am 

Now that I am of the age where I am constantly being brought out to bars for business socials, etc. I am very interested in understanding what alcohol is either distilled/brewed/ or or otherwise with nuts...

So far I know of these liquers:
Frangellico (hazelnut)
Amaretto / Disarono (almond)
Nocino / Nocello (walnuts)
Kahana Royale (macadamia nut)

Anyone know of others? How about beers flavored with nuts? Wines fermented in nut-wood casks, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:06 am 

That's a really good question. I just threw out a white chocolate liquor bottle (almost finished) that had a nut warning. I forget the name but it was in a small round white bottle. That's all I know.

Until you get more answers, stick with what you know, or have a soft drink.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm 

One I wouldn't have suspected: Bombay Sapphire Gin. It has almonds in it.

See http://www.bombaysapphire.com/home/defa ... andIndex=0 .

I noticed this when (yes) reading the label at some friends' after they'd made me a G&T. I sometimes let my kids have a sip of my drink, so it was good to know!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:27 pm 

I don't know if a "marula nut" is a true tree nut or not or if a problem for the nut allergic. But the liquor "Amarula" (kind of like Bailey's) is made from the marula tree / nut.

http://www.amarula.com/home.asp
http://www.marula.org.za/abnut.htm

Post subject: Wines?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 am 

I have recently wondered the same re wines@!
How do they get the "nutty" flavours in there?
Does anyone know re possible comtamination?
Walnut crest is my fav, but now I am paranoid!
YIKES@!
shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 am 

I would call or email if you're really worried. That's really the best way to find out. I seriously doubt that anyone would use walnut for a wine barrel as it's an expensive wood, but then again, one should never assume. Most likely, Walnut Crest is just a name.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 pm 

What a great topic. Here's a story that will likely scare the pants off you, but I really should share it.

My most serious reaction (I'm ana to all nuts) was at a bar after a shot of tequila. Now, I've had tequila many many times before, and i had even had it from the same bar that evening (on a different floor of the same establishment). Same brand.

But, having been a bartender in my undergrad in a popular bar, I know that on busy nights (this was a Saturday night pub crawl) when a bottle of liquor is done, we would remove the pour spout and toss it in a pile. I don't remember these ever being washed, maybe just in a bucket of water sort of thing - I think people just assume that alcohol is a natural disinfectant.

So, the only thing I can think of is that I was drinking out of a dirty glass or the pour spout had been used on a bottle with nuts in it, because within 10 minutes I was so swollen I couldn't talk, did the epi and benadryl, and at the hospital I was in and out of consciousness, on oxygen and my blood pressure was dropping.

The worst part about this experience was that I wasn't sure if I was having a reaction or if I was getting drunk. I had taken the shot because all my friends were loaded and I wasn't. Since then I haven't been able to drink with food - I want a clear head whenever I'm eating.

Scary!!! And while I'm obviously really allergic, I'm not to smell at all, so I'm not as serious as some others. Since then I only drink out of a bottle (beer), or have alcohol that I buy myself at home and know is okay.

Something to think about guys - be careful out there! Food preparation workers are trained to be careful, but bartenders aren't.

Post subject: No cocktails!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:13 pm 

I wrote to Walnut Crest and to date, no reply!
And yes, its scary things that we need to think about!
All these "hidden" sources as opposed to the obvious ones.
I told my DH about Bombay Gin....we have an opened bottle in the house so, sure enough Almonds is listed!
We gave it away to a friend!
I wont have any mixed cocktails...just never know!S
Shairose

Post subject: Gin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 pm 

This has been an issue of mine for a while. I never take shots anymore unless I am absolutely certain of what's in it. Too many times people have given me shots and have no idea what's in them, and often they are sweetened with those nut based liqueurs.

Gin is another drink I stay away from. Sapphire and Beefeater are both distilled using almonds and others don't list it so I don't take the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Southern Comfort contains tree nuts. See the following thread http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4572

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 am 

I was out for dinner a while ago and ordered a drink (?vodka collins) that I have ordered many times in the past. When I got it it took one sip and I knew they did not make it how it was to be made. My husband called the waiter over and asked if they had put coconut in it. (oh! I knew they had :x :x ) I just wanted to hear what they had to say because that is not something that goes in this drink. He said YES they had added coconut to it as he thought it would be nice! No not nice. I don't think I have ordered a mix drink since then I stick to wine. I have wondered about some Red wine as sometimes it just does not taste "right" for these reds I just won't take more than a sip. You don't get any information on wine bottles. I must admit I wing it, I do the one sip test. Only on wine. Coolers are often made with coconut but they have a label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 am 

I also contacted the companies below and they confirmed there are tree nuts in their products. WOW! I am shocked how many different types of liquor use tree nuts, when will clear ingredients be listed on liquor?
We were just given a box of liquor from a neighbor who's moving out of province. Sure enough most of these are ones listed here, Bombay Sappphire Gin etc.. I will give them away to another neighbor today. Yikes! All it takes is our son getting a hold of a glass after we've had a drink etc. and I'm not willing to take that chance. Thanks so much for starting this page. Very interesting!

Kahlua - contains tree nuts
Ameretto - tree nuts

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

I know that in Europe the wineries were requested to put ingredient lists on their bottles and they were up in arms...maybe this should be extended to all liqour. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hey thanks! I missed that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 am 

Here is an interesting piece of information. I finally had my allergy tests and was negative for peanuts and almonds so that is not what caused my reaction to the wine. I discussed this with my allergist and he said during some years when there is an insect problem the type and number of insects will cross react with some types of pollen allergies. When commercial wineries make wine the vines, leaves and grapes all get fermented in the vats including any insects on the vines. Since this changes every season there is no telling if a certain wine will cause a reaction. He suggested taking a small sip of the wine and waiting 10 minutes to see if a reaction occurs before having more. Good to know if anyone has any serious pollen allergies. It is not life threatening but can be scary and uncomfortable.