You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:02 pm 

Hi I am a mother of a five year old boy with allergies to milk egg nuts peanuts peas beans and soy and I live in a small community of about 1000 people and find it hard to talk with some one who can relate with my worries i tell people about my sons milk allergy and they say yeah i cant drink milk before i take a pill..... i then have to explain to them that my son can not take a pill for his problem.
I try to understand that before my son i thought the same way, i just need someone to understand me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:10 pm 

I read about Sabrina's law and I was excited about it but I don't think it is in effect here in Newfoundland because my son will be going to grade one this year and I am having nightmares about it, there is only 100 kids in his school and they have no real plan to speak of and I can't really get a proper answer from them. What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! I'm sorry that your community isn't "getting it". Allergic Living's main story is about schools and dairy allergies. Here is an article that was written a few years ago in response to an editorial.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=90

This is a recent amalgamation of resources for schools:
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=41

Keep in mind that even if there isn't specific legislation in your province...you can expect that your child's school will try to keep him safe. The Public Health Agency of Canada is jumping on the band wagon because they recognize that health is essential to learning.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4783

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:12 pm 

Hi and welcome. I'm so glad you've found us. This group has been my lifeline, and I have found everyone to be so supportive and full of suggestions. I'm sure you will find this too!

I have a 7 year old son with multiple food allergies (diagnosed at 12 months of age), and I really understand your fears. We have had many years to adjust to this, but we have been very fortunate to have found a good school for our son to attend that is allergy aware. Because you live in a small community, you likely only have the one school, is that right? As hard as it is to do, I have found I need to be a reasonable, but very strong advocate for my son. I am constantly educating others, and saying thank you all along the way for their assistance in helping to care for my son's challenging life-threatening allergies. You can purchase Epipen trainers, posters, and other educational material from various sources including MedicAlert and AAIA. I give a brief talk to each of the classes in my son's school in September and review the "Alexander the Elephant" video with the students.

In terms of your 5 year old managing his food allergies, do you feel he needs a lot of help, or very little? Every child is so different, and you need to adjust to their needs; particularly with a life-threatening medical condition.

Here are some suggestions.. maybe something might work for you?

1. Do you have the option of bringing your son home for lunch? If you are working, this may not be possible, but if you can bring him home, this would help while he's young and may still need assistance to eat safely.
2. Do you have an older child in the school, or a trustworthy older neighbourhood child that could sit and eat lunch with your son?
3. When my son eats at school, I send him with a piece of wax paper to eat his lunch on so he has a safe surface to place his food. His lunch bag is well labelled, and he has several "Wet Ones" in his lunch bag so he can give his hands a final wipe just prior to eating (he goes to wash his hands before lunch, but I know he sometimes touches stuff on the way back to his chair, so the final wipe with a "Wet One" really helps.)
4. Can you volunteer to be a lunch monitor?
5. Does your son wear an Epi-belt (a holder for his Epipen that he wears around his waist). If not, they are available thru MedicAlert, and other organizations. In Ontario, it is required in the public school for children to wear their Epibelt. My son has been wearing his very responsibily since he was 3.5 years old.

I wish you the best in preparing your son, and his school, for his medical condition.

Take care.

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 pm 

Happybum, Welcome and know that you are NOT alone. I can't imagine the extra challenges you face dealing with your son's allergies with regards to living in a small community.
The Allergic LIving forum has been wonderful for giving me a place to vent and express my fears. I'm never told I'm over-reacting or exagerating. Others just don't 'get it', here on this site you will be find the support you need from others who not only 'get it' but live it. Recipes, ideas, help with the daily challenges we all face and laughs along the way.

Hugs and my thoughts are with you as your son starts grade 1.
BC2007

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 pm 

Welcome! As far as allergy awareness has come over the years, it still has a long way to go. You are definitely well-understood here :D This has been my favorite resource for information and undestanding. Glad you're here!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 pm 

happybum709 wrote:
Hi I am a mother of a five year old boy with allergies to milk egg nuts peanuts peas beans and soy and I live in a small community of about 1000 people and find it hard to talk with some one who can relate with my worries i tell people about my sons milk allergy and they say yeah i cant drink milk before i take a pill..... i then have to explain to them that my son can not take a pill for his problem.
I try to understand that before my son i thought the same way, i just need someone to understand me...

Welcome! I know what you mean. So many people do think that intolerances and allergies are the same thing.
Um... no... my child could die from an allergy!
An intolerance will just make you feel that way, but can't actually kill you.
My son's severe allergy is to eggs. He is also allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, pineapple, citrus fruits, soy, potatoes, tomatoes and possible allergy to bell peppers and most recently, oat. He goes for further testing in September.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Happybum709 (I do love your name!) can you tellus what you give your son instead of milk and butter? I suspect that you have a wealth of information! :)

Do try to meet with your school administration and possibly the teachers before school starts (they are usually at school the week before school starts). Try to focus on how to avoid a reaction rather than banning foods or dealling with a reaction (although this is also inportant).

If you can, ask them what they have planned and then mention the few things they missed. This gives them a chance to show what they know and you have fewer points to press for. Who knows, maybe they have thought of something that you haven't!

If you can, join the school council. This way, you will be a constant presence, and have more opportunity to impact on the school events. Don't forget to be involved in more than just allergies. It is your main focus right now, but his experience is much more than that.

Try to include you significant other, it presents a united front and makes it less likely that you will be seen as the one hysterical parent. You also will come away from meetings with more information retention.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 pm 

happybum709
Just checking in, how are you doing?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish