You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cigar/Cigarette Allergy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:54 pm 

I believe that my reaction to cigar and cigarette smoke is strange, it gets much worse when I am stressed out and I have noticed that my mood, outlook on life and social activity energy is really low.

I noticed my symptoms when I went to Montreal on a band trip and had to experience smoking in hotel lobby, restaurants and the Expo game in the Dome

My symptoms include:
1. Tightness of chest in specific places in my lung region. I try to take deep breaths and since my chest feels as though someone is squeezing certain sections of my lung together it is as if I am hyper ventilating.
2. My sinus area becomes dry and scratchy, my eyes begin to water, burn and become fuzzy
3. With each inhale my lungs feel scratchy, I have this continuous need to cough. BUT it hurts to cough because my lung/esophagus region is burning
4. My muscles become weak as though I woke up with an all-over-body flu, my mind becomes really fuzzy and I have a hard time concentrating on small tasks. I can't keep things organized and my productivity becomes laboured because I am really tired from doing something as simple as walk from the front to the back of my past worplace in a restaurant.
5. My lungs and throat become really phlegmy and my chest becomes heavy and laboured.

I have tried singualaire, advair, flovent, salbutalmol and symbicort and they don't have the effect that I was told that would happen for each.

I just want to now if anyone has any idea what might be causing some of my symptoms, any additional information that would be helpful to me.

My mood, eating, and sleeping patterns are changing and I am starting to lose the support of the people around me because they are getting tired of me.

I have been told that I need to be away from the situation but someone driving and smoking in the car as they drive by me bothers me...not to the extent that I mentioned above, but I get disoriented and annoyed and edgy.

Since smoking decreases the amount of oxygen to the body cells and that smokers are more suceptible to colds and don't recuperate as quickly as non smokers, then I might just be sick constantly because my body reacts differently to the chemicals.

Does anyone think that the lac of oxygen could potentially destroy important cells in my brain to alter the biochemical structures of the brain nerve cell connectivity?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Luckily, most hotels, restaurants ban smoking now. Don't they do that in Quebec? Smoke is definately a lung irritant and a trigger for asthma. Most of the medications you mentioned are useful in asthmatic episodes.

Quote:
someone driving and smoking in the car as they drive by me bothers me...not to the extent that I mentioned above, but I get disoriented and annoyed and edgy.
These symptoms might be triggered by anxiety, anger at being exposed the smoke and remembering past reactions.

I don't have a lot of experience with cigarette smoke being an allergen but I will never say that something doesn't have the potential to be an allergen. Water can be an allergen and that's about as innocuous as one can get!

Not to push you away but, there is a Non-Smoker's Rights Association. They may have more experience with your issues and perhaps they can point you towards a solution. Good luck! http://www.nsra-adnf.ca/cms/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:07 am 

My oldest daughter (who is not asthmatic nor allergic) has gotten a sinus infection every time she visited a smoking relatives house. So I definitely think that you can be more sensitive than others to smoke. It sounds to me like you were having serious asthma symptoms, maybe a rescue inhaler would help? Both of my younger children are asthmatics and I just take precaution to not expose them to smoke at all! That is difficult in hotels, but maybe next time choose a non-smoking hotel? If I were you I would tell whoever I was in the car with that I had extreme asthma-like reactions to cigarette smoke and they were NOT to smoke in the car with me. I am NOT a doctor, but I was told that your oxygen saturations has to be pretty low (like passed out low) to cause brain damage. I was told that my oldest was "allergic" to smoke, but I think the dr. was just trying to drill the point home because there has been no supportive findings that you can have an IgE mediated allergy to cigarette toxins. They are toxins just the same and obviously cause serious respiratory distress in you and many others....HTH! Stay away from those insensitive smokers! :P

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg