You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:14 pm 

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with allergies and asthma. She's allergic to mostly environmental things as well as peanuts.

Can you be not allergic to something but have it trigger your asthma? Do you think that all people with allergies should avoid milk? My daughter is not allergic to milk but I was always told that milk is mucuous producing or attaches to existing mucuous to create more? Any opinions or facts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:34 pm 

can't answer your question in regards to the asthma, but I have heard before that milk does promote mucous production. Some singers tend to avoid drinking milk before a performance, I think.

During one of the question periods at AllergyExpo (there's a thread on AllergyExpo somewhere on this site) a health care professional working at a clinic (can't remember whether she was a nurse or a nutritionist....a nurse, probably) asked the speaker what his opinion was on this question. She said that there is quite a lot of anecdotal evidence that drinking too much milk could make allergies worse....here she was referring to seasonal allergies I believe, but it was a while ago so I could be mixing up the facts here. The doctor didn't agree or disagree....studies haven't been done on it, but he accepted her report on the issue as a possibility.

Based on her experience, this health care professional did not recommend avoiding milk. But she said that she finds that some kids just drink way more milk than needed for their nutrition...she recommends going with the Food Guide on milk consumption but not drinking more than that. And she said that yogurt doesn't seem to cause the mucous problem so she tells people to include yogurt and other fermented milk products in with their daily servings of dairy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:50 am 

I don't see why? I have several allergies, peanuts and nuts beeing the deadly one, and asthma and I drink milk eveyday. There are enough things that I'm allergic too, I'm not going to start avoiding milk too. My life is hard enough as it is. Unless milk triggers a reaction, I don't see why you should avoid it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:44 pm 

My husband has food allergies, asthma, and inhaled allergies. His only reaction in food allergies now is the presence of tightening of his trachea ( he was anaphylactic to everything as a child ). He can eat small amounts of eggs in baking, but they will trigger asthma. As a child he used his inhaler and then ate baking containing eggs. I prefer not to use them at all. He was able to touch them and cook them for others. As a child he was allergic ( anaphylactic ) to milk, he would outgrow his allergy and be put back on it and drank it normally. He was always taken off of it because his asthma would get out of hand. Milk stopped triggering his asthma when he was 12 and he has drank it since (except for now because it is banned from my house ).

He hasn't been tested for allergies for a very long time. He's tried to get an appointment, but no luck. He doesn't get hives from any allergic foods anymore, they just cause asthma, which he was told as a child that having an inhaler with him was sufficient. I'm trying to convince him to get an epi-pen, but he claims it is "food triggered asthma" and can be controlled by an inhaler ( what he was told at his last appointment with an allergist, at least 12 years ago). Still, a visit to an up to date allergist would be helpful, but its hard to get one especially for an adult who seems to have his situation under control.

So good omega is a great soy milk if you can try soy (soy beverages do not cause mucous). I find that it tastes the best and has a nutritional value equal to milk ( not all soy beverages are ). I always had a problem with mucous in the back of my throat. When I had tonsils ( had them out at 19 ) mucous would get stuck on them. I would also hack up chunks everyday. Kind of personal, and gross. When I stopped drinking milk, my mucous problem mysteriously disappeared. The odd day when I have gone out alone for a DQ blizzard, or something milky and forbidden anywhere near my daughter, I feel mucousy after and wonder if thats what I always used to feel like.

My youngest daughter gets really mucousy if she is outside, or when the neighbourhood cats are near ( I chase them away constantly ). She can't drink milk, but I've wondered if she would have a worse mucous problem is she drank milk instead of soy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:12 pm 

I have a milk allergy and I was mucousy--when my son was born , a long time ago, he was very sick and he had tremendous mucous and was hospitalized--we tried every thing and finally I switched him to prosobee and he was better in 2 weeks-he could drink milk after he was 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:25 pm 

In reply to my previous post that my husband figured he just had "food triggered asthma", I did manage to pressure him into seeing an allergist. The allergist said "you have severe allergies, you need to carry an epipen, it is NOT food triggered asthma, it is the beginnings of anaphylaxis. If this happens again, you need to administer epinephrine."

This thread is about milk avoidance, and I think milk can still be a trigger for mucous problems and mucous related asthma...it just is not the case for my husband...his IS anaphylaxis related.