You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:14 pm 

Hi,
I have been reading everyone's comments on the epi pen carriers and am still not sure what to do.
Will the soft bags be more comfortable than the hard pouch ?
Do epi-pens break in the softer bags ?
Do I want a fun bag that may draw inappropriate attention (from other kids) or a basic black
one that does not look interesting ?
Should it be over clothes to be visible or under them to conceal ?
Do schools have an opinion ?
I would love to see a consumer reports style trial (like the shopping bags gals) has anyone seen one ?
Joanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:24 pm 

Awesome questions Jomatt, I myself can't wait to hear other's responses to your post by who've gone through this. In a couple years we'll need to buy our son a belt and I have some of the same questions.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm 

We have used both types of belts. We had a soft kozyepi for JK. We put her epipen in a protect tube and it was safe in the pouch. She liked the cute pink design. It was a little bulky so the next year we bought an ebelt. My daughter wants it concealed under her clothes. The teachers all know that she has it on so I am not worried about it there and she is more comfortable with it out of sight. Luckily empire waist type shirts are in style so her ebelt fits well underneath them. She wears the ebelt underneath dresses as well. I like the ebelt it has a heavy duty snap on it which our kozy epi does not (not sure if current designs are different).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 pm 

Epipens used to come in a very soft plastic case and you needed to have a harder shelled case to protect it. We used the EpiBelt (now called eBelt) and it held up to our son's rough housing. They are expensive, but from the time he was 5 to 15 he only used 2 - and not becuase it was worn out but becuase he out grew it! He wore in on the outside for the first few years, then under shirts as he grew older (10-15).

For the last few years they have changed the case to be harder plastic so it is less likely to break. My son prefers now to just have it in his jeans pocket (and spares in his back pack and girlfriend's purse).

We never used the softer holders like the Kozy things - my only concern would be that it be easily reconizable as a epiholder - not just a makeup bag or standard fanny pack. I believe MedicAlert also makes one with a MedicAlert logo on it which is recognized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 am 

We use koziepi too. I let my daughter choose the design. She likes it on the outside but I've seen older kids wearing them under their shirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

We have used both the e-belt and the Koziepi type.

The e-belt is very sturdy and stands up well to the rough abuse that playful kids can put it through. The softer fabric styles look better and are more appealing to girls but it won't stand up as well.

I prefer to have the e-belt for play and sports and a couple of softer styled pouches to use for parties etc.

I find that after the child gets used to wearing it, they don't mind it. They seem to automatically spin it to the back when laying on their stomache or doing activities where it would get in the way.

Even dd who is touch sensative, adjusted quickly. We started by insisting she wear it to school/daycare.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 pm 

i would like to buy some type of case but only for temperature reasons. Being an adult I carry mine in my purse. I do not worry about the cold but I worry when it is too hot out. Is there one that is good to keep it from getting too hot? Even the kids who carry it on their bodies what about the heat in summer time? At least in winter it would be under a coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 pm 

I'd throw a thermometer in your purse for a day (hot day) and see what temps it gets to before purchasing something. According to the Epipen website - you're good for 15-30 degrees C. (No harm in going above that in Winnipeg this summer!!)

"Do extreme temperatures affect my EpiPen/EpiPen Jr.?
A:
Ideally, EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. should be stored at 25ºC (77ºF). However, excursions in the range of 15º–30ºC (59º–86ºF) are permitted. These temperatures apply when storing the EpiPen/EpiPen Jr., as well as when you carry your pen with you during the course of a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm 

Thanks everyone for sharing what you use. I had not considered using two types of carriers depending on the event. I think for Kindergarten we will purchase the e-belt as
it gets such high marks for being tough. We will look into a soft fun carrier for other events.
This would be good for adding his puffers when we are outside the school, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am 

Can I ask at what age your children are wearing these and when they wear them?

Adair is only just 2 and we keep his pens in the diaper bag, but perhaps we should be getting him use to wearing a koziepi? I am just thinking he is too young thou?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Presumably, the diaper bag will go everywhere he does. Once he's potty trained though, you need to ensure that it is with him at all times. If he goes to a daycare, how does one make sure the Epi's come along on outings?

I would plan on getting a belt several months prior to starting school (for dd that was 3 1/2 years old) and getting him into the practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Presumably, the diaper bag will go everywhere he does. Once he's potty trained though, you need to ensure that it is with him at all times. If he goes to a daycare, how does one make sure the Epi's come along on outings?

I would plan on getting a belt several months prior to starting school (for dd that was 3 1/2 years old) and getting him into the practice.

As of right now the diaper bag does go everywhere with him, but hadn't thought of once he is trained thou.

He starts daycare up again part time on Sept 15th, they don't go on outings - just playing in her backyard, and I did have a whole bunch of info for her, along with two epi-pens.

But this did make me think - mil took him for a walk yesterday and didn't take the diaper bag...and wait sometimes my husband and I split up in the mall/stores and I take the diaper bag for Skye.....oh dear, things I never even thought of....I think maybe we should get one for cases like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

We use a fanny pack for all of dd's meds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:14 pm 

My daughter started at 3.5 years, as soon as she started kindergarten and was away from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:00 pm 

Hi,
I sent my son to preschool last year with a medicine bag- clearly labeled with his
epien, puffers and benadryl. It hung above his locker out of reach, but every time they
went for a walk or to the playground next door, it was forgotten. I asked the teacher if it would help to put it with the first aid kit but they usually forgot to bring that along as well. I'm not sure what the right age is but looking back I can see that a carrier would have been better. Preschool is busy but kids need their medicine with them at all times. Even posting a sign at the exit to remind teachers would have been better - than trying to get my son to remind his teacher.
When I think on the elementary school playground ,of the time it would take to notice him and then get inside for the epipen - I'm sure glad it will be on him.