You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:27 pm 

My oldest is starting Kindergarten this fall, which has been a major source of concern and stress. However, I also need to think about his younger sibs who are starting preschool for the first time. Although they have never had an ana reaction, they are highly sensitive, and are prone to unexplained rashes at times, and some asthma like symptoms when they have colds. Of course, they don't eat anything that isn't safe for their older brother, they have never tried peanuts.

My question is, what should I do with them regarding preschool snacks? I'd feel better sending their own, just in case. But while this never bothered my 5 year old (who has always been HIGHLY suspicious of food, even before his recent diagnosis), my little ones like to try EVERYTHING, and will be sad if the other kids are eating something they want to try.

I'm very torn as to what to do. I want preschool to be a positive experience for them, but (of course) I need them to be safe.

I'm sure I"m not the first person to go through this, just wondering what other people's experiences have been. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 pm 

Do they have group snacks at the preschool?

My younger child has no allergies but also doesn't have unexplained rashes as yours do so I don't think your concern is unreasonable. But would the preschool serve peanut products regardless??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:39 am 

They do have shared snacks (rotating schedule). They have always said 'no nuts or peanuts', but have expanded a little in an attempt to be peanut free this year. But, I think a plain white cake from an in store bakery would be deemed acceptable, but as we know, those foods are pretty risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:57 pm 

Shouldn't you have your twins tested if you are concerned? We had our youngest tested prior to him going into the care of someone else. It is hard to ask for a lot of extra precautions from others if a diagnosis has not been made. It will give you peace of mind as well. Not that your twins will eat peanuts regularly but at least you won't have to worry about them eating food with traces of peanut. As well, if they are allergic, they need epipens. Just my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:05 pm 

Yes, I would like to have them tested, but it'll be another 6 months or so til my oldest is SPT tested for the first time, and they only test siblings the following year, at the follow up appt, so about 18 months from now!!! I could have RAST testing done, but drawing blood from them would be difficult and traumatic, and I"d rather do it when they are likely to be more cooperative and less afraid.

thread here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4809

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:13 pm 

Becky! My dd has been my pa child for about 2 1/2 years - she is 4. My son, who is 2, has had eczema and random rashes....They both go to the same "peanut and tree nut free" school. I have been very comfortable about this school. They don't allow sack lunches (only on field trips) and they do not serve peanuts, etc. The few times kids have brought pb or something on a field trip my daughter's teachers immediately threw away the food.

Now to my point. I picked up the kids one day and my son had some hives around his mouth. He has been know to have little random rashes, so I didn't think much of it. He was acting really weird though, and just letting me hold him. Well, he started to get hives around one eye and turned green and seemed really anxious. I gave him Benadryl and took him to the ER and called the school. I was told that no one had seen him eat anything odd, but that he may have eaten something off the floor - mind you he is 2, lol. How on Earth would a peanut product end up on the floor in a peanut free school? They said that sometimes his classmates would come in (in the morning) with peanut butter cap'n crunch or something and THEY WOULD LET THEM EAT IT BECAUSE THEY "KNEW" THAT THERE WEREN'T ANY PA KIDS IN HIS CLASS. :shock: :x :evil:

Soooo, I had my suspicions that, if exposed to peanuts he would be allergic to them, but he wasn't technically listed as PA. In hindsight, even though I hate it when people exaggerate something that is so real to us, I wish I had lied and told them that he was PA.

I would either make it clear that they weren't to be exposed to it, or - if you really think they may eat it there - challenge them first. My ds didn't have a full-blown ana reaction, he is a Class III, though and I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't eaten whatever it was at 5 p.m. when I got there! You know? :shock: Good luck!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg