You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Swimming and the epipen?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am 

I would like to sign my son up for parent/tot swimming classes but I am not quite sure what to do about his epipen. I am not comfortable signing him up until I figure this out. I mentioned this to a friend today and she thought I was way too neurotic and thought it was ridiculous I refuse to leave my bag at the side of the pool as no one would take it. This is NOT an option to me. As almost all parent/ tot classes are in the day my husband would be at work otherwise I'd have both of us there, one in and one out of the water.
Is there a waterproof carrier? I can't give it to the instructor as at this age they get into the water with the group. Ideas????
He also is going through a minor asthma flare up right now. He is controlled as long as I am vigilant right now about using the puffers and nebulizer. I read cholorine may aggrivate asthma, has anyone had any difficulty with swimming lessons?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am 

Everyone has their own comfort levels, I always err on the side of caution. But if it were me, I would probably opt to keep the epipen in a bag at poolside, where I could easily keep an eye on it. I most likey wouldn't use a purse, but a backpack or something, with a colourful towel.

I have asthma, and do find cholrine a little irritating at times. Not sure if it's related to cholorine levels or if I have other allergy issues going on at the time.

Can you go and watch a lesson around the time of day of your parent tot class, or maybe go on your own for the first one? It'll give you an idea of if the pool & area is relatively quiet or very busy and might help you find the best option.

If you do find a waterproof epi pack (I think I have seen some) would you keep the other meds in a bag?

Best wishes with your decision. It's so hard to agonize over things that everyone else seems to take for granted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:30 pm 

Hi,
I talked to the staff at the pool and came up with an agreed upon place to put my son's medicine bag - which is clearly labeled. I found that everyone was very understanding about my hesitation to lock up the bag. (there is a nothing but towels poolside rule ) Hopefully there will be a hook where you can hang it from. At my son's childcare centre I even purchased and hung his own medicine bag hook with their permission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

I stay and watch my daughter with her medications with me. When I'm swimming, I keep the bag with our towels on the side of the pool. If your pool has a lifeguard or office attached to the pool, ask them to hold it.

Why don't you contact the pool and discuss it with them? They may have experience with this. I suspect your friend is not that familiar with the issue.

You can also get the protectube from places such as Anaphylaxis Canada or MedicAlert
http://anaphylaxis.ca/content/livingwit ... ue.asp#acm
http://www.medicalert.ca/en/products/pr ... d=2&p=C120

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:01 pm 

The advise is much appreciated. I knew the other super allergy mom's would be able to help me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 pm 

I took the little guy swimming this morning and he LOVED it. I brought his life jacket so he had more freedom from me. He has no fear of the water and I now think we'll make this a regular outing. The chlorine had been a huge concern for me as he has so many skin reactions but he was fine.

I called first and talked to the head life guard regarding my concerns with where to keep his medical bag. The life guard station is attached to the pool with a glass window. They agreed to keep my bag with the asthma 'stuff', the epipens and benadryl in the life guard station (where it could be seen from the pool). I zip tied a label to the bag with a luggage tag and slipped his medic alert card into it. The head lifeguard went and told the other 3 who were on duty about our son. In turn each life guard came up to me and said they were aware of my son's allergies/asthma and they had been informed of where his medical bag was being kept.
I guess I need not have worried so much about this, it was amazing ' mommy and me time'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I'm so glad you were able to find a solution! :D

You were concerned about over reacting but I think you definately did not over reac, in fact you handled it beautifullyt!

People who don't deal with medical issues on a regular basis might find it odd, but I think by doing what you did, you helped the first responders do their job had a situation arisen. From the way the life guards responded, those would be first responders seem to have appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:03 am 

BC2007, So glad this worked out for you! Just wanted to mention, our son also has sensitive skin, so we bathe him with Aveeno bath oil after swimming. We always bathe him right at the pool so we get the chlorine off of his skin. Sometimes it would take till the next day for his skin to bother him if we didn't bathe him right away, but we've found with bathing him right away and putting his cream on, his skin is much better. We also have to do this whenever he's worn sunscreen. Enjoy your "Mommy and me" time at the pool with your son!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:39 pm 

I took the little man swimming again today. What do I see but people munching away poolside. From the pool deck itself you go up two steps to the area with chairs for parents to view lessons etc.. Being in a community center there is a snack shack type place, you access the canteen from in the community center hallway or there is a window to the pool seating area. I can't believe they are allowed to serve food to the pool deck!!! I asked the lifeguard about it and he said to be extra careful as nut products are sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did talk to the front desk before leaving, they really were understanding of my concern and they even were confused about it. I would hope the chlorine would kill the food traces when they fall into the water but now to worry about putting my son down on one of the plastic chairs? I am always careful, but to know nut products are in fact eaten pool side fact is very irritating to me. Good thing I took all the extra precautions with the lifeguards regarding our son's epipens.
There is a library attached to the community center also and I asked before about story time if kids eat snacks. I was told that they don't encourage it but they don't stop anyone but if I was to attend they would tell other parents of his allergy.

Am I the only one who feels like people can't go 20 min. nowadays without eating. Really, we couldn't eat in the library or the pool growing up :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Yikes! Our community centre does not allow food or drink in the pool area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Am I the only one who feels like people can't go 20 min. nowadays without eating.

I agree with you completely! It is incredibly frustrating.

You did a great job with the lifeguards. I am sure they would rather know in case there was an incident and I am sure they appreciate that far more than the person who locks up the epi-pen in the change room... For my daughter's lesson we had a waterproof bag (see below) that was in a waist pouch which we attached to the lifeguard's raised stand/chair. I made sure that her instructor plus the head lifeguard knew about it.

You mentioned not wanting to get the epi-pen wet --- In the Travel forum I explained about what we used to keep our epi-pens dry and also at the right temperature when we were on summer vacation --- we took them river rafting plus very hot weather and they were fine! Keeping epi-pens the right temperature was the thread --- http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4456 This is the actual product we used: http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety__ ... han=Search[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:52 pm 

We went swimming at Fallsview Niagara and wore the epipen in a neoprene KoziEpi carrying case. We could not afford to leave it on one of hundreds of deck chairs in case it accidentally went missing -it would have ruined our trip.

At our local pool, I attach it to the handle bars of the strollers so it is clearly visible.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:33 pm 

Ginger - are the kozyepis completely waterproof? We have two of them, but I didn't think they would be waterproof enough to wear in a pool. I'm curious as I will probably put the kids in swimming lessons this summer, and if I get a chance, could maybe get a few lengths done during lessons. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 pm 

Kozi-Epis
I would have to say that they are not totally waterproof - they do get wet inside. I figured that the epi-pens were inside plastic tubes and I figured that the epi-pens themselves are sealed. Am I assuming incorrectly?

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am 

Hmmm, the epipen's plastic tube has a small hole that you can see if you unscrew the top - it's underneath the threads that connect the cap to the body of the case, if that makes any sense. Because of that, I'm not sure if it's waterproof, and I have no idea if the actual unit is sealed.

OK - I just checked on the epipen.ca site under FAQs and this is what it says:
Q: Is my EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. still okay even if accidentally submerged in water?
A: If an EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. has been accidentally submerged in water, it will be compromised. The unit should be replaced.

What I did once when we were going on a boat, was to put the two epipens in a ziploc bag, then fold it up and put that into the kozy - that way if it fell in the water, the insides wouldn't get wet. . .