You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

I absolutely agree Paige! She was feeling obviously different when she had to wash her hands before eating in SK that and trying to get into the washroom (single washrooms) was so time consuming. That is why we started the practice of including wipes in her lunch bag...so she could clean her hands at her desk.

Now I picture her sitting at the back of the classroom eating alone and watching the others laugh and talk... :( I am projecting my emotions on her - I realize that. I have spoken to her and she feels safe...right now. She is also slowly blossoming into pubescence (she is starting to notice which boys are cute etc.-she'd better not be reading this!) Girls at this age can be cruel and I don't want her to feel left out and different becaus eof her allergies.

The principal is great and the teacher has experence with peanut allergies. I'm sure that if we sit down together and look at it from all the angle, we will come up with a solution. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 am 

Before I started having problems with food allergies I was both a school bus driver and lunch monitor. I worked for 3 bus companies both in Alberta and Ontario. In Ontario we had specific training on how to use an epi-pen and when. When I was a lunch monitor we had no training but each child lined up before entering the lunch room and washed their hands. Not time consuming at all, just common sense. Unfortunately before the no nut policy started the allergic kids had to eat at the "no peanut table" away from their friends. I think all teachers and lunch monitors especially should get this training as lunch is when it may be needed most. It would be nice if all school boards would implement allergy training for every school like they do for special needs awareness. (My teacher friend even spent a whole day in native awareness so why not allergies) This way those who have never encountered an allergic reaction would understand how serious it is. I think if teaching and lunch staff were to watch a video dramatization of a child suffering from an allergic reaction with the stats of survival they may think differently. Allergies are on the rise and this is a subject that HAS to be dealt with. I wish you all the best in dealing with this and you daughter gets the recognition she needs without being separated by her class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Dalbai, you are right about this being when the education is most needed. When I dropped off the schools supplies and medication forms, the principal mentioned that she had seen the fall issue of Allergic Living magazine which has school lunches as ithe main focus including an article by me on dairy allergies and school. I hope she has a chance to read the magazine before we talk tomorrow! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sent e-mail asking to set up a meeting:

Quote:
I hope the school year has started well for you. I had the pleasure of a telephone call from Mrs. H after the first day of school and she mentioned a few things regarding R's allergies in the classroom such as where she eats her snacks and lunch as well as class celebrations which included R’s allergens and homemade treats. Dh saw Mrs. H last Friday when he took a look at the classroom layout and she seemed agreeable to non-food type celebrations. She also spoke of lesson plans which might require food in the classroom for curriculum components such as nutrition and manners.

I feel that she is trying very hard to accommodate R and I appreciate that. Could the four of us get together and work out a solution to the issues around eating as well as develop some concrete plans for these celebrations and lessons?

1. We want R to be able to relate to her peers as much as possible and are concerned that the physical distance during the lunch period is not conducive to this. If it is an issue of safety while eating, then should she not also be moved during snack times? Are snack times supervised? R's physical safety is paramount to us but we also want her experiences to be as 'normal' as possible. We would like to problem solve a solution that keeps her in social contact with her peers while still avoiding her allergens.

2. It is our hope that the lessons and celebrations can still occur, but that there is still thought toward the reduction of risk of exposure of allergens.

Let me reiterate that dh and I want very much to work with the staff at ABC School to make this as effortless as possible for all concerned. We recognize the difficulty in dealing with so many allergies. We also recognize that the teachers do have to spend additional time and attention on lesson plans because of the challenges that R's medical condition creates.

We hope that be meeting with both you and Mrs. H, we can problem solve these issues to everyone’s satisfaction.

We would love to be able to meet with the two of you as soon as possible to resolve this.

Trying very hard to be nice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:47 pm 

Good letter, I dread my time to write such letters. I will have to bite my tongue until it bleeds to be so diplomatic and ggrrrrrr 'nice'. I think you successfully got down what you needed to say while still acknowledging and being grateful for what they have already done. You kept it positive so hopefully they won't be on the defensive.
Good luck!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there was quite a bit of re-writing involved! :oops: It really helps to have the other parent proof your letter.

I have a tendancy to be too aggressive and too wordy so I really need to keep my focus on the bottom line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, that's got a really nice "let's work together" tone.

You're almost always level-headed on such matters. I think we can all get a little too riled on the first pass, and simply need a second pass before maling or hitting send.

But then I am an editor.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, unfortunately my poor husband has to bear the brunt of my venting! :?

I saw the principal at our welcome back BBQ and she's so very nice and willing to work with us. So different from the first principal we had!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 pm 

Hi

I'm was wondering after reading, would the products from 'Guardian Angel Foods' help? If the teacher is determined to serve food it might the best middle ground.

It's hard being a pioneer, but you are doing a great job.

http://www.guardianangelfoods.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Good point, I'll tuck that away in my "arsenal of information"!

I suspect that those who wish to serve 'treats' are getting something out of watching little ones enjoying the fruits of their labors (with emphasis on their prowess in the kitchen, their crafty imagination to turn a cupcake into a reindeer or increasing popularity of themselves or their offspring.). They appear to be altruistic but in reality, they are not. :roll:

We meet on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
the crafty imagination to turn a cupcake into a reindeer

Honestly, the pressure these days. :roll:
People are so competitive. My cupcake's better than yours ....

Maybe you could get them into carrot carvings and radish roses.
Must be Friday - I'm being a brat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm 

You could probably convince the parents to make them but could we get the kids to eat carved veggies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Maybe this would convince them?
Quote:
The 2009 Heart and Stroke Report on the Health of
Ontario's Kids, the first-ever survey of its kind in the province, shows that
our children are still facing an unhealthy childhood due to a lack of physical
activity and poor eating habits, even though statistics 10 years ago brought
these problems to light. And if the situation doesn't improve soon, this
generation of children - through no fault of their own - will experience a
shorter lifespan than their parents due to the risk of developing
life-threatening illnesses such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and
heart disease.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c3368.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Just an update to say that we think everything went well. We know that the school is trying to keep R safe and we appreciate that.

We discussed how given her multiple allergens, snacks are just as risky as lunch. We asked if the teacher had a better sight lline at the reading table as they are not in the classroom during lunch. (No.) How by moving for some meals and not others gives mixed messages about following rules and creates confusion around what constitutes a safe area.

Grade 3 -4 is when students begin to form cliques and differences become more noticible. Our first priority is safety, our second priority is inclussion.

The Principal. her teacher, my husband and I decided that, as she is very aware and proactive in dealing with her allergens we will allow her to eat at her desk (which is cleaner than the reading table). If her immediate classmates have snacks or lunches that cause her to be concerned or if the are being messy, she has permission to get up and move to the reading table. Wipes will be provided (by us :roll: ) so that she can clean off the reading table first. She also has the type of lunch box that she can eat out of as opposed to the sack type in which the contents must be removed and placed on the surface. She has permission to invite another classmate to join her at the table and it can be any student (boys or girls, different each time or the same). She does not have to ask an adult each time, she can just move.

The Principal had not realized that the second snack is in the class block that sees her in the French classroom and so she will discuss this with the French teacher as well. The same plan will follow there.

I spoke breifly to R last night and I'm keepiing her home today (mental health day) so that she can process the information. She sounded really pleased to be able to invite someone to eat with her. She'd never complain about being alone because she's so cautious that safety is her primary concerns but, no one likes being left out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 am 

Susan that all sounds very reasonable and as you said will allow your daughter to feel more included. Hopefully now all her teachers in classrooms where she eats are on the same page and snack times run smoothly.
I think it is SO important that you mentioned to your daughter that she does not have to ask permission to move. I am learning a lot from all you parents of school age children. Allergies and safety are one thing where I have realized that our children need to know they have the right to do what they think will protect themselves.

Good luck, have a good mental health day :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next