You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: One Proud Mama!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:37 pm 

Last year our daughter was in a class where any food was allowed. It was awful as not only did they eat nuts etc. but the class room was filthy. I couldn't take our son with me to school all year for any special event etc.
Today when she came home from her first day of school the first thing out of her mouth was 'guess what, we have a girl who is anaphylactic to peanuts and sesame in my class so the room will be safe for you to visit'. Our daughter was also on fire as she said some kids were teasing the allergic girl saying allergies are silly and not serious etc.. Well my daughter said she was angry in her heart but she didn't get mad. Instead she went right to the teachers desk and said she is giving a speech on anaphylaxis . He told her she can give him the speech, then once he's heard it she can present it to her class. If he feels there are enough facts etc. he will talk to other teachers and have her to to other classrooms. She has a speech ready as 'surprise' that was her chosen topic for an oral presentation last year.
:D It's all about education. For a child who used to be very shy she is has found her voice and a passion. We have taught her that there is a time to be quiet but with allergies (even if it involves grown ups) it is ok to stand up and be firm.
On the way home kids were eating on the school bus today, she told me she was very polite but told them that other children may have food allergies (gave them a lecture on trace) and asked them please to help keep friends safe and not eat on the bus. :D :D :D :D I am one proud mama.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:09 pm 

What a heart warming story, and what a very mature and responsible sister your daughter is!

It scares me that kids get teased at school about their allergies, though. My daughter is just entering K next week and is very very sensitive. I'm a bit worried about the potential teasing, but I guess I just have to talk to her about the possibility, then deal with it as it comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

What a great girl! And particularly how nice that she'd speak up like that for her sibling.

Why don't you tell her you can publish her little speech here, too?

She might encourage other kids to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 am 

Thanks Gwen, will do!

I LOVE this new teacher. Last year was all about snacks, the ultimate food for rewards year. Treats for being good, treats for being bad to be good, treats for having a clean desks, for keeping the cloakroom clean, for marks, for finishing work ARG!!!!

This year her teacher GETS it. He has the desks in 4 rows, in a Harry Potter type fashion each row is a group. They over a week period earn points as a team. If all homework is done, one point for team one etc.. At the end of a week period there is some kind of 'special something' (unknown right now) but it isn't food. I love it!

Last year I made the teacher move our daughter's desk as she had them all lumped together touching. When people on either side of here were eating nuts/peanut butter it was getting on our daughter's desk/books etc. too.
I was also told last year regarding hand washing "did I know how much time that would waste a day". There was food all over the classroom, mini food fights etc.. This year after one day at school daughter came home and couldn't stop talking all night. She said her teacher has a super super clean classroom, even one crumb he makes them clean up from the floor, desks are wiped, hands must be washed when coming into the classroom. Yesterday he had kids read ingredients and anyone who had snacks that may contain nuts, he made them eat in the hallway and then come in and time one full minute to wash their hands with soap and water and then use purrell.

The reason I am most happy is that a teacher like this gives me hope that our son will one day be safe to go to public school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:19 am 

What grage is your daughter in? You should tell her that many people on this forum are proud of her, and think she is one amazing little lady!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am 

She is in grade 5 this year. She did her speech 3x Wednesday and recruited teachers in the hallway and set up 2 more for the yesterday. I think they think it is a pre set up school thing. I asked our daughter what she says and she just goes up to a teacher, tells them she's going class to class giving a speech on allergies and when would they like her to come. LOL She even added to her speech Wed. night as some kids were teasing that she didn't need to say peanuts and tree nuts it was silly. So she added another entire cue card on what a tree nut is and what a peanut/legume is. :D
She did epipen demo's at the end and had her teacher use the epipen. She told me he only held it for a second so she made him do it again and count out 10 seconds. One teacher's husband is a principal at another school and our daughter asked for her to see if she can go to his school too!!! She is turning into quite the public speaker, after the first speech someone said said they learned something new. So for the rest of the speeches she said she asked first what they learned new to see if they paid attention. HAH, do you think that would work when she chooses selective listening at home :D :D :D

I am so proud of her. Don't you wonder if our we or our kids (siblings included) will one day save someone's life and never know it. All the explaining we do constantly, maybe one day someone will remember something and see someone in trouble and think back to a tidbit of what we told them. I hope that is the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:10 am 

Wow, she sounds amazing!! When does the country wide tour begin ;)? I'd love for her to come to my school and give her speech. You must be so proud, your little guy is so lucky to have such a terrific big sister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Someone ought to call the local TV station so that they can do a feature on her! :D

They love that home town kid teaches the teachers sort of stuff and they're often looking for filler if it's a slow news day.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 pm 

Thanks for all the lovely compliments. Sometimes a mama just has to brag

Here's something to make your heart stop. The girl in her class with the allergies (grade 6..split class) refuses to wear her epipen. She FORGOT both epipens at home the first day (from the sounds of it the teacher was justifiably freaked out). She brought them the last 3 days but refuses to wear her epibelt. She even leaves it inside at recess GULP!! It makes me wonder what the situation is. Has she not had a reaction in so long she doesn't see it as serious or maybe she is embarrassed to wear the epipen. I will send a private note to the teacher Monday so he's aware that she isn't taking it outside with her. I don't want to overstep but what if he isn't aware. This way he can discuss it with her and even my daughter won't know I said anything. My daughter is totally stressed about it but I told her to leave it to the teacher.
I'll have to duct tape our son's on him when he's old enough to wear his own belt. He's a bit of a houdini. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am 

Thank you so much Susan for directing me to Kyle Dine. We ordered his CD and for now are enjoying singing along to his music samples from his web page. I emailed him regarding our daughter and he sent a great reply. He said he had a big sister looking out for him growing up which really meant a lot to our daughter. He also said he was going to bring her up during his presentations
Quote:
I would love to speak about this example during my presentations to shed light of how friends/family provide support for those at risk for anaphylaxis.

Kids were giving her a hard time yesterday on why giving these speeches are such a big deal to her. She's been pushing really hard to go to more classrooms, the principal has still averted the issue but the vice principal came to hear her present yesterday. The email from Kyle Dine was wonderful encouragement for her.
Anaphylaxis Canada also emailed today and will pass on her story to the Kids Club Newsletter.
I know there must be many many more kids with allergies or sibling who are making the same efforts to support and educate others. I would love for our daughter to hear what other kids are doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

I think those other kids are somewhat jealous of the attention she's getting! :wink:

Can she see if this will count as extra credit? Also, if she happens to be in Girl Guides or something like that she should look into getting badge credit for her work.

There is nothing wrong with tooting ones own horn and those groups might also like to hear what she has to say.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 am 

Our daughter is so excited, tonight she is giving her presentation to the Ottawa Anaphylaxis Support Group. She is hoping others will want her to come to their kids schools.

She had me attach to my Anaphylaxis Canada profile that she will volunteer to be a public speaker. I emailed her school last week but never heard back. So I emailed the school board head and heard back right away. She said they don't allow any presentations to be given during board meetings but that I should contact our school principal and she may facilitate more presentations at local schools within our school board. Our daughter would love any chance to give her presentation so hopefully she is able to go to more schools in our board.