You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Coconut allergies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:48 am 

When I ate coconut (years ago), I use to get sick and vomit but nothing as life threatening as nuts. Are these allergies related? I've been having this discussion with my girfriend and she claims that coconut is not really a nut.

I was wondering if anyone else is allergic to tree nuts and coconut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:46 am 

It is my understanding that coconut is in the palm family along with date, palm cabbage, and sago.

I personally have never had a reaction to coconut other than the fact that I don't like it.

Annette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:39 pm 

Coconut is not on the tree nut ingredient card I have from FAAN. Not sure of the details of what family it is in, but I LOVE coconut. I've never had a problem, and my daughter hasn't either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:24 pm 

Our allergist told us that we didn't have to worry about coconut (ds has peanut/some treenut allergies). He said it wasn't actually a nut. We are still leary about it though, I think mostly becuase of it's name :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:52 pm 

Yeah me too, Terri. I'm like it's a nut, it says CO-CO-NUT. But since I eat stuff with coconut oil and I'm fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:13 pm 

Quote:
Should coconut be avoided by someone with a tree nut allergy?
A coconut is the seed of a drupaceous fruit. Coconuts are not typically restricted in the diet of an individual allergic to tree nuts. Some people have reacted to coconut, therefore, discuss this with a doctor before introducing coconut to your diet.

I found this on the FAAN website if it helps any. I was curious as to what a coconut actually is... so there you go. Did anyone here know that a red pepper is actually a fruit??? I found that out from my Today's Parent magazine.
Robin

[/quote]

Post subject: Coconut
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:35 pm 

I am afraid of coconuts too. My daughter, age 2 is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts and sesame. We are supposed to avoid ALL nuts and seeds for now. I am certain that she has been exposed to coconut oil at some time through the infant formulas, so I am thinking we had just better hold off and wait until she gets re-tested. Last fall, I gave her pomegranites. i was thinking that it was more of a fruit than a seed. She was so excited to be eating something different and within a few days developed eczema on her face and extremities. So now they are on our X list too.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:06 pm 

Yes Coconut is in the palm family.
I have a horticulture background so it helps me a bit, recognize ingredients by the botanical or true name rather than its common names
common names can be misleading and plants/foods can have more than one, or many across the country, this is especially true with native plants.
in horticulture nut or seed are simply the reproductive part of the plant, some seeds are hidden inside a nut shell while others are inside a fruit...then there are funny one like strawberries with the seeds on the outside.
so sometimes nut in a common name means that its the fruit or nut from the tree, and someone many many years ago gave it that common name
hope that sorta makes sense

while post my questions elsewhere about marula nut oil used in cosmetics
Janaya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:04 pm 

I have a reaction (mild) to pomegranates as well----I don't know whether it could be oral allergy syndrome or whether I'm reacting to those little seeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

In the Fall issue of Allergic Living, in the Ask the Allergists column, Dr. Wade Watson answered this question posed by a mother with a 2-yr.-old with nut and peanut allergies: Is coconut a tree nut?

The allergist's answer: "Coconut is a member of the palm family which is not related to nuts or peanuts" (and he reminded that peanuts are actually legumes). He continued: "Coconuts are large seeds adapted for water-born dispersal and remain viable after having floated in the sea for six months or more. If your son is allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, there is no reason for him to avoid coconut."

The only exception, I imagine, is usual one - to watch out for "may contains" on labels because of processing.

hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:38 am 

It really does. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:10 pm 

Coconut in Clinique lipstick... Response re: a question I sent to their company...
Good to know..

TMcG

Quote:
As you may be aware, people allergic to peanuts may also react to soybeans,
peas, other legumes and tree nuts, such as walnuts and Brazil nuts. It has
been acknowledged in the medical community that tree nut allergic reactions
coexist in nearly one third of the peanut allergic population. For this
reason, Estee Lauder Companies takes a very serious and conservative
approach in responding to you.

A vast number of raw materials from many different suppliers and sources
are used in the manufacture of Estee Lauder Companies' products. It is
therefore not possible for us to fully guarantee that our products are
completely free of ingredients that may elicit an allergic response in
highly sensitive individuals who react to legumes and nuts. For example,
it is possible that small amounts of a soybean sourced ingredient or trace
amounts of peanut oil may remain on shared manufacturing equipment even
after a thorough cleaning. Even trace amounts of allergens can trigger a
severe reaction when a peanut sensitive individual comes in contact with
them (i.e., hugging/kissing your peanut sensitive child while wearing
cosmetics). We therefore recommend that you discuss this with your
physician because consumer safety is of utmost concern to us.

Additionally the Long Last Soft Matte lipstick does contain ingredients
derived from shea butter, coconut and soy.

Post subject: Coconut allergies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:15 pm 

Hi
My name is Angel and I have a really bad coconut allergie, I can not touch anything with coconut ,Palm oils, vitamin A, sunflower oils and even cocamidopropyl Betaine witch is in alot of the body washed and Shampoo's. The reason why I can't have Sunflower is because theres 4% of palm oils inside and the same with Vitamin A.

I get really sick when I get in contacted with Coconut, I get red face, head aches, stomach pain and Diaria, rash on my stomach and very bad pain in my chest.

But besides my coconut allergie I also have an allergie to Barley and Active Bacterial culture and Milk Products.

I want to know if there anything I can take If I take coconut in case I do. I've been to an allergist and he basicly told me to stay away from it. I did my own research on it and discoverd it was a tree nut and also that the sunflower seed oil also has palm oil, my Family always look at the ingredients from me and now instead of going trew all the trouble I now make everything myself, since it's really hard to find foods in the stores.

I think what makes it really hard is that I can't go to restaurents or anything and I wear no make up and I use only one type of shampoo and body wash.

That's my post and I hope somebody can give me an idea on what I can take.
[/list]

Post subject: Re: Coconut allergies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:39 pm 

Angel2887 wrote:
Hi

That's my post and I hope somebody can give me an idea on what I can take.

Hi Angel! Welcome!

I asked my dr. the same question when i was about 7 about my nut allergy. They recommended Benadryl. I'll say this now, my dr. at that time was not the smartest grape on the vine. What you should take all depends on your type of allergy. I found out about a year ago that it does squat for my nut allergies but absolute WONDERS for my animal allergies.

Benadryl and all other antihistamines are great for things like stuffyness, runny nose, swelling, itching fun stuff like that, things that are harmless but just suck. Benadryl is actually very potent and makes you drowsy (also marketed as a sleepying pill i was told) so it is good for "NEED NOW, NOT THE DD" instances. The other types work well for preventative methods.

I went in and asked a walk in dr a few months if there was anything stronger i could take instead of benadryl (i wanted to get rid of the chest pains as they really really do suck and is the one symptom i would LOVE to be rid of). He said benadryl is the strongest next up is epipen. I then proceeded to argue with him for the next 5 min (are you sure? are really sure? just something stronger, i won't die, anything in between? are you sure?). He made several convincing arguments the winner being "all symptoms gone in 30 seconds". I then asked an allergist (something family dr should decide i thought and they sent me to him). The allergist said the chest pain was a clear sign of anaphylaxis and gave me an epipen information thing.

So i would suggest trying some sort of anti histamine if you come in contact with your evil nemisis and an epipen if you ingest any. I would for sure heckle your allergist and see what they would suggest for your specific needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:59 am 

Hi All,
It is a scary thing to have pain in the chest if that is from an allergy. Those who had pain need to have an EpiPen with them all the time to be used if necessary. But it is not antihistamine, actually if u cant breathe antihistamines are probably too late to administer i think. You need epipen and some kind of anti allergy hormone shot to treat swelling, and then antihistamine.
Some medications/antihistamines are zyrtec, xyzal, benadryl that hepled me in the past. But thats if I had contact with allergen, If you eat it, then it takes more than that. You need to be prepared.

As of pomegranates, of course they are highly allegic! They are of red color! Anything bright colored can give you allergy easily! Pomegranades, oranges, red apples, strawberries...kids should not eat those. And if they do then amount must be restricted.

I just always say that Stay away from reds and oranges and weird oils. Always cook your veggies, cooked foods are much less allergenic. Eat white apples, white potatoes, make ur pasta very well done. And remember, We are not designed for everything they sell in the stores!!! Not me!