You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:44 pm 

I just bought a book published by McClelland and Stewart (latest edition: 1994) and researched by the Pollution Probe Foundation It's called: _Additive Alert! What Have They Done to Our Food_. While they do not think that all additives are dangerous, there are some that haven't been researched enough, and some that are used in Canada that have been banned in other countries. Also, no one really knows the long term effects of individual additives consumed over the course of a lifetime or about whether additives could have synergistic effects.

The book is full of interesting facts---I didn't realize that Citrus Red No. 2 (an artificial colouring) has been banned since 1973 (it's a recognized carcinogen) but allowed in the skins of oranges sold in the States and exported to Canada (the reasoning behind this is that people don't consume orange peels. But what about marmalade and orange zest!!?!) These oranges must be labelled---but as the label only appears on the packaging consumers buy the oranges without knowing. Consuming the fruit might not pose a risk, but it definitely isn't a good idea to make marmalade from Florida oranges. People who are concerned who don't want to buy organic can buy California oranges which have orange skins naturally rather than Florida oranges which are more greenish and are more likely to be dyed. They explain that "these oranges are placed in heated chmbers, sprayed with ethylene gas and then either sprayed with orange dye while still hot or immersed in vats of hot dye" (35).

It seems to me that the rise of allergies (and other auto-immune diseases) has corresponded with the use of petroleum-based products in everything (from plastics to pesticides to perfumes and cosmetics) and with the widespread use of additives in our food.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:44 pm 

I'm working my way through that book I mentioned above, and it turns out that it does have a lot of info. for people with allergies since it explains Canadian labelling laws. I knew that "natural flavour" could = soy, but I wasn't aware of the range of foods "natural flavour" could be from -- "flavour" could be derived from "livestock, plants, yeast, dairy products, eggs and fish" + can contain gluten (p. 57). Also, I assumed if the type of flavouring was specified that meant that the flavouring was from that plant--wrong! (at least in Canada as of 1994 when this bk was published):

"A product may be labelled, for example, 'natural strawberry flavour,' implying that the flavour has been exrtracted from strawberries. Not necessarily so. It may be a mix of chemicals extracted from a variety of plants, none of them strawberries. Since the source of the flavouring is from plants, it can be labelled 'natural'." - p. 56

I think that certain foods in the 'top 10' for allergies now need to be on the label--egg is one of them....but I'm not sure. I should probably do my research before posting this as things might have changed since 10 years ago, but I thought I'd put it out there anyways as something worth investigatng.

Post subject: Natural flavors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:03 pm 

This term drives me crazy!!! What exactly is it? When you have to strictly avoid certain foods that are not on the top 10 it is pretty difficult.

I am actually pretry glad that our family does not consume a lot of pre-packaged garbage. I've been buying a lot of organics primarily because they are in bags, and other shoppers are not handling my food directly ( after touching things my kids are allergic to). The lack of chemicals is a bonus!

Before having kids, I ate only garbage. I was sick all the time. I cought every cold, and they were always really severe. I only rarely ever get sick now. When I do, I seem to fight it off right away. My kids hardly ever get sick, even though my oldest is in preschool. She only missed one day of school last year, because she had a "possibly" spider bite that was infected. She never actually was sick. They both never seem to have colds even when a break out has happened at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:45 pm 

Off the top of my head, I'd say the top ten are: nuts and peanuts, dairy, wheat, egg, fish and shellfish, soy, sesame, sulphites......well, those are some of the top ten anyway.
I agree---the bottom line is that we have a right to know what is in our food.

That's interesting that you get sick less often with eating less processed foods---must by all those fruits and veggies. My diet is also healthy on account of allergies. I get frustrated with the diet situation sometimes because I just spend so much time in the kitchen. Allergies are a major liability when I can't get through a stressful time by ordering out and when going anywhere for a period of time takes a lot of planning. But I actually enjoy shopping for food and enjoy cooking (most of the time) so I'm trying to look at the whole food preparation thing as something I might have done anyways to eat healthily rather than as a necessity (even though it actually *is* a necessity.) I try to choose different types of foods that I can eat and have started a balcony herb garden (not all herbs have fared equally well, however :) ) I end up eating a lot of fruits and veggies because I love buying things at farmer's markets and I always end up buying way too much.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:54 pm 

That book sounds very interesting to me. I totally agree with the immune systems being compromised from all the additives and chemicals that are used or have been used.
We also have to eat food that is homemade in our home. I am ana to the nitres and sulphites they put in some of the processed food along with my other food allergies and my other allergies. Like you both said we buy lots that is organic also. We make jams ( I use a lemon, lime or orange to presvere it no certo), or applesauce, everything from scratch .
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Natural flavuring- I almost prefer artificial flavouring!
Another one is caramel it can be sugar based or milk based. You have to contact the company to find out which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:57 am 

I saw on tv about a new way to send the fruit to different locations and also to not put those sticky labels on them. It was done by a lazer to the outside of the fruit and they can also label it with this method. The fruit they were showing was pears but it can be used for others.
Kelly