You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm attaching this to the beginning so no one else freaks out unnecessarily.
Sobey's owner has been great, she got through to the company for me. I then called them and the cookies are from NAFTA foods, a peanut,tree nut free facility. I have no idea why our son had a reaction but it should not be from the cookie. When he reacts and I can't confirm anything about what he ate and with the info. I was given I had no other reason but to believe it was from the food just eaten. I have no idea why the bakery dept. would tell me it looked like it was from a nut facility, they should have just said they didn't know and find out more before opening their mouths. I told the person at Nafta foods that by having no company, no contact info, no label other than ingredients it really makes a product suspisious. So the boy is better after benadryl, and I need a drink.
Sorry for the scare.

I never the less will always go with what my gut tells me.

I am SOOOOOOOO *********** mad. My husband bought a cookie from Sobey's, it is sealed in a clear cleophane type packaging, is a school bus iced with little faces etc. It has ingredients on the back but no company's name. He bought it because it had a peanut free sticker on the front. Something didn't sit right with me but I really am trying to be more open and not restrict him so much diet wise. So I took my first ever big leap of faith and gave him a small piece (about the size of a dime). Then I really felt something was not right so I called Sobey's. I asked what company made it and that although ingredients were listed it didn't actually say a nut/peanut facility anywhere. So I called, and the bakery lady's first comment was "well is it a serious peanut allergy:. I said all allergies are serious. She went to find out what company it was from, came back and said that it was from a company where they do make nut cookies but this one didn't have nuts in it. I said they'd better check again as that is NOT NUT FREE. She told me that there are cookies identical some have the nut free symbol and some don't.
THEN GET THIS, she starts ******* lecturing me on how her husband has an allergy and it isn't serious and I should check with my doctor as maybe our son's allergy isn't serious and peanut free means different things to different people depending how sever their allergy is. I freaked, yelled, told her to stop talking and I wanted the owner on the phone. I shop there all the time and I chat with the owner frequently. She is wonderful, kind and always over the top helpful when I have other questions. I was bawling by the time I got on the phone with her. I told her when my son can die and I live this allergy life daily I don't need a lecture on parenting. I said ALL ALLERGIES are serious and regardless, if it is laballed peanut free IT MUST BE PEANUT FREE> I told her she'd better pull the cookies ASAP before someone dies. Being that it would be nut trace is a crap shoot as to which cookie may cause a reaction.
Then, to make matters worse, our son within a couple minutes started breaking out in rash and hives. Luckily not more than a benadryl flare up but now I'm freaked ready to use the epipen if one more hive shows. I am so angry, I'm mostly angry at myself. I am soooooooooo careful, over the top careful. My gut warned me but I am really trying to loosen up and trust more products. I will never not trust my instincts again.

The owner called, told me she pulled the cookies and that the company does look like it is a nut facility. She will confirm this for me and find out exaclty where they are from, what else is processed there. :shock:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Oh poor you! I'm glad you spoke to the owner and set them straight. That woman had no right to lecture you.

My concern is that those cookies might be sold in other grocery stores...let me get this right, they had a peanut free sticker on the product?

Quote:
Can an allergen-free claim co-exist on the label with a precautionary statement?
For example:

•"Nut free" with "Allergy Alert - manufactured on equipment that processes tree nuts"
•"Non Dairy" with "may contain milk derivative"
•"No Peanuts added" with "manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts"
No, statements, such as these, that contradict each other cannot be used as they are considered misleading. Any label statements made must be factual and not misleading.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/allerg/allergee.shtml

This is what they were trying to tell you.

Did you ever get the name of the company?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:36 pm 

The cookie my husband bought was a sugar cookie
There was black icing for the wheels and faces and yellow icing on the top to outline the bus. He said they were in a wicker basket by the bakery section.
They have a peanut free symbol sticker right on the front about the size of a loonie. The sticker just that, just an after market sticker. It has a colour picture of a brown peanut with the red circle with the line through it and the words nut free on it.

The back says made in canada
upc 628020101562
no company name, Sobey's THINKS they are from orbit foods but H.O. was on lunch so she couldn't get a proper answer yet.
What do I do to get this info. out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:47 pm 

I just called the CFIA....just got a voice mail. I left a message with as many details as I could.
I am still shaking I'm so upset and angry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:00 pm 

Sobey's owner has been great, she got through to the company for me. I then called them and the cookies are from NAFTA foods, a peanut,tree nut free facility. I have no idea why our son had a reaction but it should not be from the cookie. I have no idea why the bakery dept. would tell me it looked like it was from a nut facility, they should have just said they didn't know and find out more before opening their mouths. I told the person at Nafta foods that by having no company, no contact info, no label other than ingredients it really makes a product suspisious. So the boy is better after benadryl, and I need a drink.
Sorry for the scare.

I never the less will always go with what my gut tells me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 - I'm so sorry to hear about this incident. Posting a hug.

That kind of lecturing is always upsetting. People can be such know-it-alls without realizing that what their preaching is dangerous.

I've had a few incidents myself. Don't get me started on the Max's Market up the street where they suddenly decided "we can't guarantee" was their new official line.

I'm glad you were able to get your point across to the manager, just sad that it took such a piece out of you.

Were these in-store bakery goods - e.g. wrapped for Sobey's as opposed to an official brand? Be aware that CFIA rules don't cover those in the same way. Though it probably never hurts to make the agency aware, especially if your son appeared to react. Personally, I avoid the in-store bakeries of groc. stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:33 pm 

Thanks Gwen. I feel better now, I made a home made toffee nut latte (no actual nuts were harmed in the making of my latte..... starbucks syrup :D ) to calm the nerves.

I know people mean well and don't realize they are knowledge less when it comes to allergy education but really, why do they feel the need and that they have the right to give their input at all. Many times I grin and bear it, today I turned into the ultimate evil allergy mama bear. I knew Susan only needs that costume once or twice a year so I knew she wouldn't mind if I borrowed it for today. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

LOL. With the way things go in the f.a. community, we may need a spare costume made while one's at the dry cleaners.

Mmm, latte.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

You did a great job at verbalizing just how frustrating it can be when dealing with food allergies and trying to determine whether something is safe or not. I think you went through the gamut of emotions!

To others it's just a cookie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

BTW-
Quote:
2.7 Name and Address [B.01.007; 10, CPLA; 31, CPLR]
The name and address of the responsible party by or for whom a prepackaged product is manufactured or produced, must be declared on any part of the food container except the bottom, in a minimum type height of 1.6 mm (1/16 inch) based on the lowercase letter "o", in either French or English. The address must be complete enough for postal delivery within a reasonable delay.

When a product packaged for sale to consumers has been wholly produced or manufactured outside of Canada, and the label carries the name and address of a Canadian dealer, the terms "imported by/importé par" or "imported for/importé pour" must precede this address, unless the geographic origin of the product is placed immediately adjacent to the Canadian name and address.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/guide/ch2e.shtml#a2_2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 pm 

The CFIA is going to pick up the cookie just to be safe but we think we discovered the source of the cross contamination. I assumed that my husband had picked up the cookie form the wicker baskets in front of the bakery. I haven't gone near the bakery in 1 1/2 years so don't pay too much attention to that part of the store. After a full run through on 'the cookie purchase' my husband mentioned it was in the glass bakery case. (light bulb moment) . So even though it was not open the packaging touched all the surface of the display case where all the in store bakery NUT/PEANUT cakes, cookies etc. are placed. SO, as I held the package I broke of a piece of cookie and I bet transferred nut trace to the cookie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Gack! When I got a chance to read further, I find this exception.
Quote:
2.3 Foods Requiring a Label [B.01.003; 4, CPLA ]
All prepackaged products require a label with the following exceptions:

•One-bite confections, such as a candy or a stick of chewing gum, sold individually; and
•Fresh fruits or vegetables packaged in a wrapper or confining band of less than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm).
Note: Clerk-served foods which are packaged at the time of sale are not considered to be prepackaged foods and are therefore exempt from having a label.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/guide/ch2e.shtml#a2_3

I'm not sure how big your cookie is or what constitutes "one bite". We have such convoluted legislation! Well, at least it's something their working on.

I hope your weekend is less eventful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm 

Wow, who knew there were exceptions. This particular cookie is huge, 2.3 oz, so I imagine it should have had a proper label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:26 am 

I called the owner back today of Sobey's. I let her know that I was pretty sure the cross contamination happened by having the cookies in the display case along side of the nut baked goods. My poor husband feels awful, he was so excited about finding a special baked treat that we would be able to purchase now and then for our son, now he feels sick. I have made enough of my own allergy errors (ahem, not using the epipen) so I know how in retrospect things look cut and dry but at the time......!
Anyway, I told the owner to never have the cookies not only in the display case behind the bakery counter. When the cookies are handled by someone they need to wear gloves or a thorough hand washing etc especially as it is the bakery staff handling them. She did let me know that the Sobey's safetly handbook specifically says to tell a customer to see their doctor etc. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: She happened to give a safety presentation last night and said she brought up yesterdays incident and does NOT advise anyone to say such a thing. I told her it insinuated I was uneducated about allergies and criticized my parenting and my intelligence. She will discuss with Sobey's H.O. and have that line removed and instead I suggested just saying they didn't have an answer but they would be happy to look immediatey into the situation and get back asap to the customer.

Huge lesson learned all around.
The CFIA is still picking up the cookie to look into the packaging (or lack of ) issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:17 pm 

With regards to Nafta here's something which makes their products very confusing to a f.a. consumer. Nafta is a peanut/tree nut free facility, Orbit Cookie is the company. All the cookies below are from Nafta and say Orbit Cookie (except for the individual cookie which is the one I had issues with last week. It is from Nafta and the no labelling issue has been looked into by the CFIA ).

1. 12 pack sugar cookies have a peanut free sticker on the front.

2. Halloween cookie decorating kit (4 large chocolate cookies) have a peanut/tree nut warning on the back.

3. Haunted House gingerbread kit (contains same candy as the Halloween decorating kit) has no nut/peanut warning.

4. Individual large sugar cookies, have peanut free sticker on package.

I called Nafta and the cookies ARE all from the peanut/tree nut free facility. The candy is to all his knowledge and from documentation from a nut free facility but the warning is due to the candy as they can't confirm it's safety. I did ask why then was the same candy in two different packages and one has a nut/peanut warning and not the other. I was told that the new packaging next year will add a nut/peanut warning to all the houses. So the nut warning really seems to be a cover their butt type of thing which is annoying enough. As a consumer, why would I spend extra to buy a KIT with cookies candy etc. and then not be able to use the treats included??? His advise he said he gives all parents who call is to eat the cookie with confidence that it is nut free but to purchase candy elsewhere which you already feel comfortable with.

If that is the case then why wouldn't i just bake my own cookies if I have to buy my own candies etc. anyway!! Classic case of covering themselves legally getting in the way of foods which seem to be safe.

!!!