You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:18 pm 

Does anyone with egg allergy get the flu shot? We did not get the flu shot for our son last year based on his egg allergy, which is potentially anaphylactic. The nurses at the flu shot clinic also did not think he should have it.and our family doctor agreed and felt there was risk in giving him the flu shot. I'm just curious if some egg allergic individuals go ahead with it, and if there have been any reported anaphylactic reactions? The most recent material we received from our local regional health dept, under the subject heading "Who should not get the flu vaccine?" indicates "Anyone with a severe allergy (anaphylaxis) to eggs that causes hives, throat and/or tongue swelling, difficulty breathing or shock". You might be wondering why I would still like to get the flu shot for our son - well, it's because a couple of years ago, he became very ill with the flu, and had to be hospitalized. It was a very scary time, and certainly the flu does pose a danger to some individuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:38 pm 

I don't--but I'd be interested as well in knowing if people with an allergy to egg have and have lived to tell the tale.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: flu shots
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:16 pm 

I looked into getting the flu shots, and if you have an egg allergy the answer is no.

My youngest daughter got a large hive at the immunization site from her needle for DaPTP-HIB the fourth time she had it. She is due for a booster at 4 years of age. I'm not sure what my allergist will recommend. There is no egg in this one, but she has recently reacted to chicken and beef so I'm sure she just reacted to the protein in it.

Since then, my daughter has all immunizations in the hospital er incase of a reaction. I also give her reactine (or claritin, or arius) about 3 hours prior to her immunization and the next day as well ( in case it is still in her system ).

The chicken pox needle ( according to my allergist ) is safe for egg allergic kids. Both my daughters had the needle. I did not want to risk chicken pox on top of eczema. Too itchy!!! There was a major outbreak at preschool last year. One child was EXTREMELY sick! She was even hospitalized. When my daughter didn't get it her teachers assumed she must have had it when she was younger. I was quite happy to not have had chicken pox with my girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter doesn't get thge flu shot as she is allergic to egg. My husband and I get the flu shot so that we don't get the flu. She is less likely to get the flu if we don'y get it and if she gets the flu we won't get sick looking after her.
She did get the MMR when it was time. Her Dr felt that the risk from the diseases out weighed the risk from the vaccine. His office is across the street from the hospital and we waited there for an hour aftyer having the shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm 

Our daughter is also egg allergic and with all of the talk of flus this year in the media I was concerned for her. I contacted Sick Kids hospital in Toronto where we go for her care. I called at the right time. Last week the allergy clinic at Sick Kids had their flu shot clinic for egg allergic children. I had never heard of it. We got an appointment and attended.

What the doctors do is test egg allergic children with the vaccine to see if they react. If they don't they can receive the vaccine. The doctors feel that the concern over the flu vaccine might be unnecessary for egg allergic people - just like the concern over the MMR in years past.

Apparently most egg allergic children do not react to the vaccine. Unfortunately our daughter did. She reacted to the test with 1/10 of the vaccine and she reacted to the full dose in the skin test. She was an unusual case apparently. All of the doctors and interns at the clinic that day came in to see her back to see the test results.

Just thought that I would pass on this information. Other egg allergic people might be able to get the vaccine if they are skin tested first. Especially people who are at risk of complications from the flu - people with asthma etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:07 pm 

Thanks for passing this on. I didn't realize that they did testing for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:16 pm 

Thank you for the information katec! That's very interesting. We will have to look into that for our son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 pm 

My son received his MMR and his flu shot in the allergists office. They first skin tested him, then injected just a tiny bit - waited and then completed the doses...

He is allergic to egg but did not seem to react to either shot. We go tomorrow for his second dose of the flu shot at our family doctor's office - we will just stay at the office for a while afterwards....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:31 pm 

My sons are both severely egg allergic, but also asthmatic. Their doctor felt it was worth the risk (which is apparently very, very, very small) to have them immunized. They have their shots in the pediatric ward at the hospital under close supervision, then we stick around for a couple of hours afterwards. They have now had 4 flu shots, and thier MMR without any reaction.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:46 pm 

twinmom wrote:
My sons are both severely egg allergic, but also asthmatic. Their doctor felt it was worth the risk (which is apparently very, very, very small) to have them immunized. They have their shots in the pediatric ward at the hospital under close supervision, then we stick around for a couple of hours afterwards. They have now had 4 flu shots, and thier MMR without any reaction.

Lest my former ignorance should lead anyone astray...our new allergist has said unequivocally "NO FLU SHOT" for my sons. He feels that anyone with a prior history of anaphylactic reactions to egg should not have the flu shot...not even with a scratch test with the vaccine beforehand. He said that the risks far outweigh any benefits.

We've had 5!!! Under varying degrees of medical supervision, sometimes with a scratch test beforehand, sometimes not, but all at the urging of other doctors, because of my sons' asthma. Thank goodness neither of them ever had a serious reaction (I thought that one had had a mild reaction once, but the doctor at the time assured me that it wasn't related to the shot...now I'm questioning this...).

I am slightly confused about all of this. Is the risk of reacting overblown like Katec said in her previous post? We did have 5 flu shots, without any major reaction, and both of my sons are confirmed anaphylactic to egg. Either way I'd rather err on the side of caution anyway, and I'm glad that the new Dr. has a conservative approach.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 pm 

We only considered the flu shot because we were at Sicks Kids and had some of the best allergists and emergency doctors close by and would be monitoring our daughter. In the end, when she tested positive to a diluted tiny sample of the vaccine, we didn't take the risk. I believe the allergists who attended us that day would not have recommended her even going this far if we were in a different setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:31 am 

Hello to everyone.I'm new to this forum .I heard goods things about it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 pm 

I don't know why it is not better advertised, but there IS a flu vaccine that is not in a shot form. There is a nasal flu vaccine, that reportedly does not contain egg. Most doctor's do not carry it in the office as it is not used often, but you can call and request it ahead of time and they will order it in for you. Then you can be vaccinated, and not have to worry about the egg exposure. I have not tried it out, as I don't mind taking our chances with the flu. If you are concerned, ask your doctor for more info, or search it online.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Do you mean this nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?
http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/nasalspray.htm
It sounded good but alas, contraindications for asthma or egg allergies.
Quote:
Who should not be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?
People less than 2 years of age
People 50 years of age and over
People with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease; people with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure; or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system.
Children <5 years old with a history of recurrent wheezing
Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
People with a history of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare disorder of the nervous system
Pregnant women
People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs or who are allergic to any of the nasal spray vaccine components.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:41 am 

Thanks for that correction! I will do my homework before passing along hearsay next time!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg