You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cough & Cold Medicine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:05 pm 

Does anybody know of any cough medicine/decongestant that does NOT have the warning not to take it if you have asthma?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:46 pm 

May I suggest you ask your pharmacist. Depending on the specific symptoms you or your child are having, not every cold remedy is right for every person. (Some help chest congestion, some help nasal congestion, some do multiple jobs etc.) They will also know whether a particular one is safe for asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter has had cold medicines. I agree that you should discuss your situation with the Pharmacist. I forget what we got but I remember that it was a lain medicine that only treated the worst symptoms,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:46 pm 

Nope. I suffer.

Post subject: Cough and Cold Remidies
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm 

[quote="youngvader"]Nope. I suffer.[/quote]

Same thing here. Though my husband and daughter take what ever they want. I wont take the risk. Sorry, I cant be more helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 pm 

I recently spoke to a pharmacist at Shoppers Drug Mart who said that the warning on the cold / decongestant products isn't because there is a risk that these products will make asthma worse (or be detrimental to the asthmatic person) but the concern is that the asthmatic person will mistakenly try to treat a persistant cough or problem breathing with these medications when it's actually improperly controlled asthma. Have others heard something different from their pharmacists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:57 pm 

We have asked a few pharmacists about this. We have wanted to use cold medications at various times because post nasal drip at night makes our daughter cough more and then she is tired from lack of sleep and can' t get ahead of a cold. Also she does not blow her nose very well yet so a cold is very difficult for her without medications for it. Anyways, a couple of pharmacists told us that the asthma and cold medications can both cause the heart to race and it would be a problem to use them. More recently, an ER doctor and another pharmacist told us to use the cold meds. Both felt that the increased heart rate wouldn't be a problem for someone so young. We have used dimetapp with the puffer during this past winter and our daughter had no difficulty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:40 pm 

Good point about the racing heart...I never thought of that...we ended up giving my son the over the counter meds along with his puffer and he also did well.