You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, folks - October!! is around the corner.

Time to start prepping for Halloween and the allergic child.

Best hint for others living with F.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well now that I know I can buy Dare most candy...it will be easier!
I need to find a gift from the Great Pumpkin :?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:59 am 

Just saw a Hershey's box that looks safe for those with peanut and tree nut allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 pm 

Susan, Which Dare products do you buy? Any I have seen have a may contain milk warning. Are their new products?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I contacted Dare regarding the lactic acid in the Dare Realfruit gummie candies and was told it was fruit based. I asked about the precautionary statement of milk. Dare sells a product Realfruits Gummie Fruits and Yougurt this contains milk. This is the only candy that does contain milk.

Currently, it is made by another company and purchased by Dare as a finished product. The precautionary label on Dare candies is because they had been considering producing this product in their facilites but they are not planning to make a change.

I e-mailed CFIA regarding the precautionary statement as it is not accurate. I heard back
from CFIA Sept 23 and Dare has agreed to change it's precautionary labelling to remove the notice that the candies may contain dairy as there is currently no way that they possibly could, and they have no plan to change the current production process.

It will take sometime to change as they would like to move the products they currently have (and probably use up their packaging) and this type of product has a relatively long shelf life).

You do need to call to inquire just to be sure, but you can expect to see a change in the precautionary labels in the future. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Way to go, Susan.

You just put some very good treats back in the reach of many d.a. children.

Thanks for your advocacy, eagle eye and persistence.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 am 

Kinder Surprise, I've seen Halloween style eggs out.

“Thank you for contacting Ferrero Canada regarding our products. In answer to your question Kinder Surprise and Kinder Surprise Maxi are manufactured in our plant in Argentina produced for Canada. Kinder Surprise and Kinder Surprise Maxi are peanut and tree nut free and also produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility. We don’t use egg in our products either.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 am 

Allan Candy peanut, tree nut free

"..... soy and milk... we do mould items that contain soy & milk ingredients in the moulding starch and I have also done some random testing for these proteins within the moulding starch and test results were all none detect to 2.5ppm (parts per million). These ingredients are components (soy & milk) of other products we make. FYI when I an talking about soy I am specifically talking about soya Lecithin and not soy wheat, etc. ....

No gelatin in AB Gums, Jujubes or Jelly Beans but we do use gelatin in the Ganong Lozenges. All these items, including the lozenges maybe packaged on the same packing equipment, the lozenges are made on separate equipment only packing equipment is common....also.... Within our starch moulding process we do mould items that contain egg as well as jelly beans, AB gums, jujubes, fruit snacks, etc. We do not deposit any item that contains tree nuts or sesame seeds in the starch moulding process.

I have done some random testing of the moulding starch for egg protein but never found any – test limit down to 2.5ppm. The egg we use is at a low level (can’t tell you exactly but low percentage). All staff making, handling & packing these sugar products do not come into any contact with peanuts or tree nuts within the manufacturing area and we restrict these items from all staff lunches."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Great ideas! Our local support group is hosting a Halloween party and we're looking for ideas for give aways rather than have foods or treats.

Now my biggest problem is getting her to pin down one costume! She's toying with a Goth, a zombie Hannah Montana or a witch. :roll: What ever it is, it will be black and I have several old items for her to use to trick out a custume.

I'm off to sew up a bean bag chair for her birthdday which is...TODAY! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Off-topic but ... A big happy B-day to the delightful Ms. R. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm 

Play-doh has Hallween packages of the mini size containers. (not sure of the ingredients) The dollar store is a great source of cheap seasonal coloring books. I bought mini bubble containers to give away at our son's play group on the day of his birthday.
Michaels has great bins of 1$ and 1.50$ type goods, note pads, Halloween containers, bead kits, fun sticky notes.

....Happy Birthday to your daughter, hope you got your chair sewn. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sewing up a big parachute for the little ones to play with! I found some bright orange ripstop fabric for $2.00/metre and had to buy it. It isn't enough, but I'm using black ripstop (not so cheap :roll: ) around the outer edges so it will (hopefully) look like a pumpkin.

So many projects...so little time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:14 pm 

Susan - happy birthday to your daughter!!

Is she considering a zombie OR Hannah Montana

or

a Zombie-Hannah-Montana? (that sounds funny...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Admin

:D Didn't mean to highjack this thread!

At this point I think she's leaning toward a witch...it changes like the wind. :roll:

How do you feel about face paint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:02 am 

Weren't the days easier when WE picked what they would wear for Halloween,school pictures etc. So more ladybugs or cutsey fairies. LOL

The best face paint I found (santa found) was for our daughter's hockey team. It comes in what looks like large felt pen tubes, it goes on like a thin lipstick almost, no leaking, no dripping when she sweats, no mess once it dries.

The front has a picture of a clown, they are actually called FACE PAINT MARKERS
water based, 14 ml. Demco Manufacturing Inc.
St. Hubert, Quebec

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next