You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 am 

Ok, after a few reactions (gulp..3 to be exact) where I should have used the epipen but didn't I was all prepared for the time I did have to use it. He's had epinephrine before a few times but always at the DR. after vaccines so she gives it to him in the arm with a syringe. The good thing is as I've seen him have the epinephrine I know how instantly it works so that is comforting.
Last night at playgroup just after supper I noticed our son start to scratch. I don't think we would have touched food there but when I see the grubby hands show up to playgroups I can pretty much guess that someone had peanut butter for supper or from one of the kids who played earlier in the day and touched the toys.
I watched like a hawk, , he started out with a small amount of rash/hives. I gave him benedryl but after just a couple minutes my gut knew what I needed to do. The rash and hives were growing in front of my eyes. Did I use the epipen right then, nope (I know I know) . !! I took out my cell phone to call my husband, then all in an instant I put it back. I remembered at the OASG I attended how as the discussion moved from topic to topic how 'not having ' using the epipen came up. Other parents mentioned not using it also when they should have and how several people piped up that their first instinct was to call someone. A mom said that she learned if you need to calls someone you already know the answer. So during this mlilisecond of thought our son looked at me, his eyes popped out of his head as if asking for help. He was pulling at his tongue and gave this weird clearing his throat sound. Our daughter has practiced her epipen demonstration about 100x at home and literally I heard and saw her in my head step by step. The little guy cried but the reaction faded away instantly. It was a long night at CHEO but he was a trooper. The nurses were all so wonderful making sure to tell me I did the right thing and 'way to go' for using the epipen. I hope they know how important that is to hear!
I know so many of you have done this a dozen times now so I hope this doesn't all sound silly. I'm very emotional and that look in his eyes............! I was in such a focused fog but I do remember one thing about the other parents there, I heard a mom right beside me ask what she could do for me. I will remember to ask that if I am there to help someone else. I didn't know I needed anything until that exact second, I asked her to hold his legs in case he tried to jump up (he just turned 2 last week and wouldn't understand what was going on).
To add some humor to this I purchased 3 new epipens last week. My current three were being retired as of today. My husband made me laugh as on the drive home he asked me if 'by the way' did you use the new epipen or one of the old ones. I guess the little guy wanted to get the most bang for his buck.....as long as he has no plans to use the remaining two 'retirees' today :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry your little guy had a reaction but...Good for you in giving the Epipen right away!!! :D

You can tell your daughter that she was right there walking you through the steps,

Having been initiated so to speak, would you hesitate to give it the next time? Isn't it amazing how quickly it works? Did he fight you much? The needle is long but very thin so it doesn't hurt much. I think the relief is so quick and the symptoms so scary that children who have had a few reactions welcome the Epipen for the relief it brings.

Save the expired pens to use on an orange. You might want to do that in a few weeks when everyone gets back on track.

Be kind to yuorself and rest for the next few days. Having your child go through a major reaction is unsettling to say the least. Now he knows that he can depend on mommy to recognise and react quickly. Give him opportunities during play to discuss his feelings on the subject. He may want to give his teaddy bear a shot with the trainer.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:20 am 

I'm sitting here drinking my coffee as he naps, he had such a short restless sleep he's exhausted. He did thrust about for just a second when I first heard the click and the needle went in but then he almost relaxed his body. I think you are right and he felt relief instantly. I wouldn't hesitate or second guess again, It was easy and it makes me wonder why I was so stressed out in the first place.
That is a great idea regarding his teddy and the trainer. He likes to use his aero chamber and on his teddy,he shakes (an empty) ventolin container and he knows exactly where it goes into the end. I have been wondering how to slowly educate him about his allergies etc. and your idea is really a good one. He quickly recovered but last night when he did fall asleep at the hospital he'd wake up freaking and thrusting and bear hug my neck crying. I don't know if it was over exhaustion or actual panic attacks. Like all our allergic kids he is a trooper and I know it is probably easier on him than me :wink: .

I think I'll go, put my feet up and have some chocolate with my morning cup of joe!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Take it easy on the caffeine!!! (just kidding-I'm on my 3rd cup myself)

You might want to do a cut and paste project with him (not now but in a few weeks). You can look through store flyers or old magazines for pictures of his allergens or things that contain them and let him make a collage.

It occured to me once that I had never gone down the dairy egg aisle with my daughter (she was 5 then) so she had never actually seen an egg to my knowledge. :roll:

Kids need to know what to avoid in case the ever see it. (bowl of nuts on display etc)

FYI- CHEO food service is very good about creating allergen free foods. If you are stuck at the hospital for 8 hours or so post reaction, it's nice to know that you can ask the nurse to have a tray prepared for your child keeping in mind the allergies. (ask this fairly early as I'm not sure when the kitchen closes)

Last time we were there it was 1030 am and she'd only had a bit of toast for breakfast. WHen they were certain that she could eat, they made her a plate of plain steamed rice, roasted turkey, cooked corn, apple juice and an individual sized canned fruit cocktail. It was served on disposable plate and tray with plastic cutlery. Not fancy, but after a reaction it was good safe food. (and all kid friendly)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:36 pm 

While playing tonight I brought out the trainer epi. but only for a minute. I held it and said this was our special medicine to make you all better. I gave it to him thinking he'd think it was a felt pen but instead he took it and instantly pushed it into his teddy's belly. He wasn't upset at all and seemed to be just taking it in. We didn't push things but let him hold it and I asked where mommy used the special medicine and he patted his leg and said 'ow'. We all cheered he was a big brave boy and the medicine made him all better. Then after jabbing his teddy one more time he handed it to me and said 'all gone' so I took it away.
We'll let things go for a week or so now. I just wanted him to see the epipen sooner than later in case he was thinking about it especially as he can't express verbally how he is feeling. Now he's seen it, he wasn't afraid of it so we'll let him have time now to unwind. I like the idea of using magazine pictures and to start teaching him what foods are safe and what aren't etc.
Our play center did call today, the director is AMAZING. She is always there and knows our little guy very well. She said that there was a day care lady there with 5 kids earlier. I don't know how it had come up (there must have been some reason) but she (the director) told me that the daycare worker and all 5 kids had had peanut butter for breakfast. She had asked if they'd all washed up well and when the lady answered yes they were allowed in to play. I know trace can come from anywhere but the chance it was from the kids seems just too great.
He's doing well today and although crazy from lack of sleep and due to his sleep schedule being out of wack all is much calmer today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

BC 07 - I'm so sorry you 2 had to go thru that ordeal, but - good for you. Really, truly.

Once you've done "it", you'll not be so nervous about the pen. I have the multiple f.a. in our family, but I completely understand. On at at least 2 occasions in 2004, I dosed myself to the eyeballs with Benadryl - thinking the reaction I was having wasn't "big enough" to justify the pen.

Uh, hello, hives and throat, ear tightening ... Then on the next event (we hadn't figured out yet that I was adult-onset to soy, so I had a few reactions), I shakily used the Epi. Voila, who turned off the pain and throat closing tap? I'll never hesitate again.

So well done. And that's very sweet about your little fellow and his teddy. Poor guy, you wish you could spare them from these damnable reaxns. But at least ... we're of a generation that has the auto-i.

Now we just have to all do as you did.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 pm 

Thank you so much for posting. I have not had to administer the epipen to my son yet, and found your story helpful. I will remember always - if you feel you need to call someone than you know you need to use the epipen. So glad everything is OK.

Son : 4 yrs old with anaphlaxsis to peanuts/nut : allergic asthma : allergic rhinitis : eczema

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 pm 

jomatt, thank you SO much. It is hard to admit that as an adult (responsible for my own child's life) in a 'life and death' situation I have screwed up previously by not using the epipen when I should have :? . Thank you so much for posting, knowing that maybe one other person can benefit from such a personal story makes any errors in previous judgment meaningful. My doctor asked how I feel know about using the epipen, I told her that I felt an intense sense of relief the second I made the decision to use it. I wouldn't hesitate again if I knew the situation called for it.
I hope your son never needs you to use the epipen, if he does, I know you can do it too.
Hugs - from an fellow allergy mama.