You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:35 pm 

We recently moved and my daughter will be starting SK at a new school next week (ie. STRESS). When we registered in the spring, we were told that the SK teacher would keep one of her Epipens inthe classroom. The 2nd Epipen would be in the school office. After meeting with her teacher yesterday, we learn that my daughter will be required to wear her Epipen at all times. Great for safety reasons but this will be the first time she has had to wear it (at her previous school, Epipen was kept in the classroom).

It says the Epipen can be stored from 15-30 degrees Celsius for short periods of time. However, during the winter months (we are in the GTA), she will have to wear it outside (under her coat) for recess even in the frigid cold.....would the Epipen be compromised in any way in the extreme cold? And how about in the summer months when she is outside in the hot sun? Any tips to keep it safe and warm would be appreciated - and what about when she is running about - would this affect the Epipen's effectiveness in any way? Thank you in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

It will be fine worn under the coat. If she's comfortable, it will be comfortable. Most kids get so used to it that running etc is not a problem. Many automatically spin it to the back when laying on their stomach etc.

She'll be fine. I much prefer my daughter wearing her Epipen...it's always there when she needs it. She started wearing it in JK and is now in grade 3. No one has ever bothered with it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 pm 

Susan, Thank you for your reply. I figured my daughter's not the first one to wear her Epipen outdoors, but I still needed that reassurance that the Epipen wouldn't be compromised in any way. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:37 pm 

Hi Sanrio,
Our son is in SK as well and has been wearing his EpiPen on an ebelt since JK. He knows that he needs to wear it to school for his safety and it hasn't been a concern in the winter months as it is under his jacket (we live in Vaughan) Good luck with this! I understand that it's a big move and it seems like just yesterday that my son had to "grow up" and start wearing his epipen on his body:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 pm 

My daughter just started K and is almost 5. She started wearing her kozy epi last year in the last few months of preschool to get her used to wearing it in K. Now, there are 20 kids and 1 teacher, and I can't expect the teacher to remember to bring it to the gym, outside, the music room, etc, so the best option for us is for my DD to wear it on her person at all times. She is used to it now, and the other kids occasionally ask what it is, but don't make a big deal of it. We're in Vancouver where it's fairly mild, but we did have a bout of -15 weather last winter. I've read in several places that under the coat is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:11 am 

My son has also been wearing it since JK -- he's now in grade 6. I purchased the e-belt because it offers protection from falls. He once fell off the playscape (about 5 -6 feet) and all he got was a bruise from the e-belt. (Guess I should have thanked the principal for having appropriate soft ground cover, lol.)

I also had wanted my son's teacher to be responsible for carrying it, but his school insisted the student be responsible for that. It makes sense, really. Teach them early, and even when there's a substitute or special stuff going on at school, my son always has his epi-pen with him. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 pm 

I also think that many parents don't realize just how many times in a day a child is not necessarily with their classroom teacher....they go to gym, library, assemblies, planning time (where often another teacher covers this time), take attendance to the office, etc...I am much more comfortable knowing that my son has his lifesaving medication with him at all times! Far too many variables to be counting on the medication being with a particular teacher or on a desk!

Ang