You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Carrot reaction????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:04 pm 

Our son used to eat carrots daily as they were one of the only foods he didn't seem to react to. For about 8 months now he's adamantly refused them. I thought it was because he was tired of them. He hasn't been eating lately (I mean literally not eating), I knew we had no choice now but to get food into him so I force fed him carrots I cooked pureed. I picked carrots as I knew he could eat them no problem (!). After two bites he was COVERED in a rash with hives from his belly button to his scalp. Luckily benadryl did the trick no problem and there were no other symptoms besides the itchy rash/hives. In July we had an issue with baby carrots, I thought it was the processing of them but now I wonder if it actually was the carrots.
Could this be related to his pollen allergies, but I thought that only applied to raw veggies and fruits?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:19 pm 

Well it must be a carrot allergy. This morning I fed him a piece of home made oatmeal cookie. He hasn't eaten any yet, I made them last week and froze them. I forgot I added a ton of pureed carrot to them (trying to get some veggies into him). He ate a couple bites then spit the rest out. Within a minute his neck and chest were already going red.

I see carrot is in the parsley family. Does anyone else who reacts to carrots have an issue with other veggies in particular?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Poor little guy! :(

here's a link to an article I just saw today. Man has tree nut allergies and Oral Allergy Syndrome to carrots. Maybe your son has something similar. Does he react to cooked carrots?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 pm 

The carrots I pureed were steamed (cooked) first, the carrots in the cookies were also steamed then pureed. So if he reacts to cooked carrots I assume raw also.
The boy mystery goes on. He always needs to add a little curve ball to keep us on our toes.

Post subject: Re: Carrot reaction????
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm 

I react to carrots too. I tested positive for about 15 years and we always put it aside since I was eating carrots without problem... so I thought... until one day that "false positive" decided to kick in full force and prove me that it wasn't a false positive.

If your child reacts to carrots, be carefull with many things (learned by trial and error to read for carrots in the oddest stuff):

- broths. Many many many contain carrots in them for flavor
- italian salad dressing... found out one day that those little red spots were not always just red peppers but some put carrots too!
- natural store type products (alternative ice cream, cookies, etc.) They sometimes use carrot juice for coloring, flavoring, etc. I've seen them in the oddest stuff!
- Commercial fruit purées: My sister had a new kind this weekend (Motts I think) that was for anti-oxydiants or something and for coloring the apple-berry purée, they had carrots!

There are many others I can't think of right now but... keep an eye out... especially those "naturally flavored, naturally colored" stuff.

I have not noticed the cross reactivity with any other products... I eat parsly without problem (for now :roll: ).

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 am 

my daughter breaks out in hives with carrots and butternut squash. Waiting for confirmation from the allergist.

Husband: allergy to Peanuts and nuts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 pm 

My son also started reacting to carrots about 3 months ago. I've only confirmed raw carrots so far, still waiting to confirm cooked. He has oral allergy, so other fresh fruits are a problem (apples, pears, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 am 

My daughter is allergic to every form of carrots. Had a severe reaction to them too.