You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: temperature
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:02 pm 

Since being involved in an MVA and experiencing a traumatic brain injury, I am having a strange reaction to the cold. If I become chilled, my skin seems to attempt to heat up instantly, turning red, itching terribly and feeling as if it is burning. The ensuing pain from the burning skin is debilitating. If I rest under a blanket or something, it does go away eventually. I also find I am much more sensitive to the cold in general. Is anyone else familiar with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:30 pm 

What has your doctor said about it?

I know there are people who actually get hives from the cold. Usually cold water. After a dunking in Lake Ontario that resulted in my son being covered in hives - that was the doctor's first suspicion. Turned out his life-jacket came out of a moldy old place, and he's allergic to mold.

So, I don't really know a lot about reactions from cold - only that they are real.

Post subject: cold allergy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:57 pm 

Some allergists do routinely test for an allergy to cold--simply by having one hold an ice cube (wrapped in a cloth) to one's arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:28 pm 

It is bizarre to find this post!

We live in Vancouver, so my kids have only experienced snow a half dozen times, but my youngest, who is nut/peanut allergic, gets extremely red cheeks and hands when playing out in the snow. The temperature has never been below -5, so I know its not that its SO cold. I had wondered if it was because she was an allergic child. I'll have to remember to ask her allergist next time we go in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 pm 

i hate nuts wrote:
my youngest, who is nut/peanut allergic, gets extremely red cheeks and hands when playing out in the snow.

When I played in the snow as a kid, I somehow always managed to get snow on my wrists and they would get all red and itchy and I would usually get a few hives.

It's good to get this checked out---it sounds like this isn't a big problem for your child, but people who get hives from the cold shouldn't swim in cold water. Also, I know that the "methacoline challenge" (sp.?)--a test for asthma--shouldn't be taken if one is sensitive to cold or has chronic urticaria (chronic hives).

The 'ice cube test' isn't always accurate--some people get hives when they are exposed to cold weather but don't react when a small part of the skin is exposed to cold.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:21 am 

My Father in law gets a rash from cold water of the stream by his home.
The rash will be all over.
I will have to ask if the snow causes problems.
Myself I have to watch how warm or cold it is as this can trigger asthma attacks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:44 am 

A friend of mine has Malignant Hyperthermia, which I guess is the exact opposite.

Post subject: allergic to cold
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:02 pm 

Last fall my oldest daughter (3 1/2 at the time ) began getting "mystery" hives.
-She would wake up with the odd one in places that the pjamams were not covering. Then she had a cold. She had no socks on and was complaining about being cold. Her feet were covered with hives. Then we played outside and she had hives in the gap between her mit and jacket. She also would get hives on her feet if the bathroom door was open when she got out of the bathtub.

We saw a dermatologist. He said that it was "Cold Urticaria". We were also told that it can be quite dangerous. She must first avoid swimming in cold water. She must take reactine 3 hours prior to swimming or boating ( incase she falls in ). She must also carry an epi-pen (we did already).

The doctor didn't do the ice cube test. He suggested that I buy a pool thermometer and place her foot in different temperatures for 5 minutes to see if she would get hives. She didn't from the testing, ( I wondered if she really had it ) so I let her run around in a shallow lake ( up to her ankles ) this summer. She did get hives from running barefoot in the shallow lake after about 15 minutes. So did my younger daughter.

So, they both take reactine before swimming!!

I realized that I had not wrote about this previouly. We don't swim alot (eczema) so it isn't my main focus when talking allergies. I'll add it to my list.