You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: E-belt from MedicAlert
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 pm 

My DS1 had his first e-belt for 4 years and it was looking a little sad lol. He wore it from grade 1 until 2 weeks ago). It still kept his 2 epi-pens safe but was looking pretty bad. We ordered a new one through medic alert and instead of costing $100 on the e-belt site it cost us about $60 (plus $8 shipping). The only difference is that instead of the e-belt logo it has the medic alert logo.

For us, the ebelt is the way to go. It is very hard so it protects the epis from light as well as getting knocked around. The belt is adjustable and comfortable (so comfortable in fact that DS1 jumped in the pool with it on forgetting he was wearing it!).

I'm not a fan of the soft packs b/c of the lack of protection from UV rays as well as regular kid behaviour. Also, the ebelt has great velcro straps that keep the epis inside safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm 

I was going to go with the medic alert belt but was not sure if it was hard shelled like the ebelt. We just received our ebelt yesterday and my son seems happy with it. I am happy with my choice but if there is no difference between the two next time I will support medic alert as we will be depending on the medicalert bracelet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 pm 

My DD did not wear her epi until this year- 1st grade. It was always with the adult she was with- usually me. We got her a plain one and a fancy one that she picked. This way we always have a back up in case something is spilled on her and it needs washed, and she can choose the one she is in the mood to wear. Usually the pretty one, because she likes it better. She feels like it is more 'stylish', and she is just learning that she likes to be stylish. Jeez. :roll:

We also got her a 'puffer pouch' that holds her inhaler and clips to a belt loop or epi case, as we found the epi case gets crowded. Also very cute.

Whatever you get it should be appealing to the person that has to wear it. If they hate it, then it will always be a battle, and no one wants that.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:41 pm 

I just received a free epipen carrier that holds two epipens as part of my son's epipen purchase. I think with the protect tube over the epipen it would be a great carrier.
the offer was on our new epipen boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 pm 

We also recieved the free carrier from epipen. I find it is very similar to the koziepi.
My daughter has had a kozi for almost a year now and we love it.

Mom-no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 am 
Site Admin

What's more stylish than classic black? After Halloween, I might get some of those rhinestone stickers from the dollar store and bling up her old Epi-belt!

It's much more durable than the fabric ones but yes, the girls gravitate to the pretty fabrics.

I'm surprised the makers of all those Hannah Montana products haven't got one out there yet! It might just be the only thing she doesn't have on the market.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb